Old 02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
"G. "

Default mic stopped working

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/05/2012 01:12 AM, G. wrote:
>
>> I opened terminal as you said and the message says I already have the
>> latest version. *When I type pavucontrol on the program launcher the
>> only option is pulse audio control which per Synaptic is pavucontrol.
>> Under pulse audio control, input devices, All except Monitors, is says
>> there are no input devices available. *Under Moniors it shows an
>> option for controlling front left and front right more like a speaker
>> control, but in any case that is not muted. *Under Hardware Inout
>> Devices there are are no input devices available.
>>
>> ubuntu is not detecting my microphone.

> hit F6
> see just what devices it sees. If *it shows more than one device, play with
> them. Something has that mike muted and if pulse doesn't see it at all, then
> you'll have to dig in the basement, so to speak, where alsa is. If you see
> "MM" hit the m key to toggle mute and unmute. It should turn into 00 with a
> greed background. Using the up or down arrows will increase/decrease the
> volume level. I take it the mike doesn't have an on/off switch?? Or, does
> your hardware need some sort of keypress to toggle it on? It should be
> straight forward, and I'm sorry that it doesn't appear to be.
>
> Also, back to pavucontrol, under "configuration" if you just have two stereo
> speakers, the setting would be "analog stereo output and analog mono input"
> as you're telling pulse what your setup is and that you have a mike. Darn
> thing ought to work. Ric

Ok, found the problem. Under pavucontrol/PulseAudio Control,
Configuration, Internal Audio, I changed it to Analog Stereo Input and
lo and behold the mic device shows up! I have never touched this so
have no idea what happened.

Thanks!

garyk

Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Ric Moore

[...]

You have a stereo mike?? Some nice machine you got there! Ha! The
details are always in the pudding. Congrats! There isn't much you can't
do with Linux, it's the getting from point A to point B that gets
irksome at times. But, using pavucontrol sure beats googling and writing
up an .asoundrc file from dubious howto's just to switch inputs/outputs,
and THEN have it still fail. Ric

Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
"G. "

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/05/2012 05:12 AM, G. wrote:

>>> hit F6
>>> see just what devices it sees. If *it shows more than one device, play
>>> with
>>> them. Something has that mike muted and if pulse doesn't see it at all,
>>> then
>>> you'll have to dig in the basement, so to speak, where alsa is. If you
>>> see
>>> "MM" hit the m key to toggle mute and unmute. It should turn into 00 with
>>> greed background. Using the up or down arrows will increase/decrease the
>>> volume level. I take it the mike doesn't have an on/off switch?? Or, does
>>> your hardware need some sort of keypress to toggle it on? It should be
>>> straight forward, and I'm sorry that it doesn't appear to be.
>>>
>>> Also, back to pavucontrol, under "configuration" if you just have two
>>> stereo
>>> speakers, the setting would be "analog stereo output and analog mono
>>> input"
>>> as you're telling pulse what your setup is and that you have a mike. Darn
>>> thing ought to work. Ric
>>>

>>> --
>>

>> Ok, found the problem. *Under pavucontrol/PulseAudio Control,
>> Configuration, Internal Audio, I changed it to Analog Stereo Input and
>> lo and behold the mic device shows up! *I have never touched this so
>> have no idea what happened.
>

> You have a stereo mike?? Some nice machine you got there! Ha! The details
> are always in the pudding. Congrats! There isn't much you can't do with
> Linux, it's the getting from point A to point B that gets irksome at times.
> But, using pavucontrol sure beats googling and writing up an .asoundrc file
> from dubious howto's just to switch inputs/outputs, and THEN have it still
> fail. * Ric

Somehow I doubt I have a stereo mic.

Today when i booted, the same problem occured. I wondered if the
cause is the external speaker I use. It's a Logitech Z 305. When I
plugged it in just now however the mic was unaffected. Any thoughts?

gary

Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Ric Moore