Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM
John Law

Default Ubuntu Stability For Trading

Hi

I am setting up some trading desks for a newly set up fund. Our
trading platform runs entirely on Java in web browsers. I am
considering if Ubuntu is stable enough for such a task or would other
distros, BSDs be a better choice.

The desk would be used by traders to place trades and not for
algorithmic trading. It would based on Intel i5, 8G RAM and 2
monitors.

John

Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Tim Edwards

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 10:35 PM, John Law wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am setting up some trading desks for a newly set up fund. Our
> trading platform runs entirely on Java in web browsers. I am
> considering if Ubuntu is stable enough for such a task or would other
> distros, BSDs be a better choice.
>
> The desk would be used by traders to place trades and not for
> algorithmic trading. It would based on Intel i5, 8G RAM and 2
> monitors.

Look at either the latest Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) release, Debian
Stable or Centos (which aims to be track as closely as legally possible
Redhat's Enterprise Linux). All of these have multi-year support cycles
(so no re-installing every 6 months) and are aimed a business users who
don't want the latest and greatest software but stuff that's
well-tested.

Tim

Old 02-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM, John Law <sgjohnlaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am setting up some trading desks for a newly set up fund. Our
> trading platform runs entirely on Java in web browsers. I am
> considering if Ubuntu is stable enough for such a task or would other
> distros, BSDs be a better choice.
>
> The desk would be used by traders to place trades and not for
> algorithmic trading. It would based on Intel i5, 8G RAM and 2
> monitors.

What graphics card?

Ubuntu is an Enterprise Linux distribution, and that means it is
pretty stable, unless you have got some driver issue.

I do not know if it works well with a dual monitor setup.

Another reliable Enterprise Linux is Scientific Linux (and NOT
CentOS), which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux source code.

https://www.scientificlinux.org

In this FAQ, there is info on how to setup a dual monitor configuration with it:

http://scientificlinux.desy.de/faq

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi, John!

On 03/02/2012 15:35, John Law wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am setting up some trading desks for a newly set up fund. Our
> trading platform runs entirely on Java in web browsers. I am
> considering if Ubuntu is stable enough for such a task or would other
> distros, BSDs be a better choice.
>
> The desk would be used by traders to place trades and not for
> algorithmic trading. It would based on Intel i5, 8G RAM and 2
> monitors.
>

> John

The porting of the JVM for BSD is purely community developped and
supported. You might not get the full support you want for it, or the
latest versions.

There are significant differences in JDK 6 between the official Oracle
JDK and OpenJDK. With JDK 7, OpenJDK is now the official reference
implementation, so not a problem anymore...

If you are going to bet your business on an IT solution, I would take
one with the best support available. Ideally with an option from the
vendor itself. So Ubuntu is a great candidate. BSD (however stable and
efficient an OS it is - but you have to ask yourself which BSD - NetBSD,
OpenBSD, FreeBSD, BSD386...) I would definitely go for a Linux
distribution. And one like Ubuntu is perfect. You can get support from a
local partner or Canonical themselves if you want to talk to god rather
than its saints.

If you want a fully supported one, you can get the latest build from :
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Or you can use the one in the repositories. I find the one in the repo
is a bit outdated, but nothing dramatic.

Gilles

Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 PM
John Law

Hi

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM, John Law <sgjohnlaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am setting up some trading desks for a newly set up fund. Our
>> trading platform runs entirely on Java in web browsers. I am
>> considering if Ubuntu is stable enough for such a task or would other
>> distros, BSDs be a better choice.
>>
>> The desk would be used by traders to place trades and not for
>> algorithmic trading. It would based on Intel i5, 8G RAM and 2
>> monitors.
>
> What graphics card?

The graphics is integrated.

We are expected to continue to use Oracle Java as we realize that our
platform, for some unknown reasons, cannot run on OpenJDK 5/6/7 in
Ubuntu 10.10/11.10/12.04.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
"compdoc"

> I am considering if Ubuntu is stable enough

I use every current and recently current versions of Ubuntu Desktop as
server operating systems. All are stable, so no need to limit yourself to
only LTS versions.

Personally, I like the newest release best, as it has the latest versions of
software packages.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Ric Moore

I am setting up some trading desks for a newly set up fund. Our
trading platform runs entirely on Java in web browsers. I am
considering if Ubuntu is stable enough for such a task or would other
distros, BSDs be a better choice.

The desk would be used by traders to place trades and not for
algorithmic trading. It would based on Intel i5, 8G RAM and 2
monitors.

I've been running Oracle Java 7 without a hitch. It seems to have better
support for multicores as well. Ric

Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Ric Moore

local partner or Canonical themselves if you want to talk to god rather
than its saints.

If you want a fully supported one, you can get the latest build from :
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Heh, I would call us faithful the "Disciples" faster than I would
"Saints". Ric

Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Ioannis Vranos
I am setting up some trading desks for a newly set up fund. Our
trading platform runs entirely on Java in web browsers. I am
considering if Ubuntu is stable enough for such a task or would other
distros, BSDs be a better choice.

The desk would be used by traders to place trades and not for
algorithmic trading. It would based on Intel i5, 8G RAM and 2
monitors.

What graphics card?

The graphics is integrated.

We are expected to continue to use Oracle Java as we realize that our
platform, for some unknown reasons, cannot run on OpenJDK 5/6/7 in
Ubuntu 10.10/11.10/12.04.

OpenJDK hasn't floated my boat for Open Wonderland, a highly intensive
3D world server, but there are reports on that list that the latest
openjdk7 will work. I haven't tried it myself yet. Ric

Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM
John Law

By the way, can anyone confirm if moonlight on Ubuntu is working for this site?

http://www.freestockcharts.com/