-   -   unable to set input method as ibus in gnome-language-selector (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/628166-unable-set-input-method-ibus-gnome-language-selector.html)

Abhishek Dixit 02-02-2012 12:29 PM

unable to set input method as ibus in gnome-language-selector

Here is a blog
http://www.muktware.com/articles/3268/how-type-hindi-ubuntu
which shows how I can type in my local language using ibus and m17
package.
So if I understand the steps correctly to be able to type in local language

Local language (in my case Hindi) should be enabled in
gnome-language-selector
as shown in this snapshot
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704526286883277122
the input method should be set to ibus.
Now while ibus daemon is running (or restarted) or I log out and login
again or I reboot (I tried all three)
I should be able to set input method as Hindi (local language) in Ibus
preference as shown here
http://www.muktware.com/sites/default/files/images/applications/ibus-install-3.jpg
how ever in my system even after a reboot and restarting of ibus
daemon I find the input method missing with options (the options there
do not exist)
snapshot here
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704526930860552098
I rechecked the gnome-language-selector window and see the input
method which I had set to Ibus in previous reboot has been resetted to
none.
Now how can this behavior be changed.
I use gnome environment (aptitude install gnome-session-fallback no
Unity business) and Ubuntu 11.10.
Before I post it to launchpad as a bug report I want to try other things.
So what can I do here to set input method as ibus in gnome-language-selector ?

Abhishek Dixit 02-03-2012 03:53 AM

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a blog
> http://www.muktware.com/articles/3268/how-type-hindi-ubuntu
> which shows how I can type in my local language using ibus and m17
> package.
> So if I understand the steps correctly to be able to type in local language
>
> *Local language (in my case Hindi) should be enabled in
> *gnome-language-selector
> as shown in this snapshot
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704526286883277122
> the input method should be set to ibus.
> Now while ibus daemon is running (or restarted) or I log out and login
> again or I reboot (I tried all three)
> I should be able to set input method as Hindi (local language) in Ibus
> preference as shown here
> http://www.muktware.com/sites/default/files/images/applications/ibus-install-3.jpg
> how ever in my system even after a reboot and restarting of ibus
> daemon I find the input method missing with options (the options there
> do not exist)
> snapshot here
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704526930860552098
> I rechecked the *gnome-language-selector *window and see the input
> method which I had set to Ibus in previous reboot has been resetted to
> none.
> Now how can this behavior be changed.
> I use gnome environment (aptitude install gnome-session-fallback no
> Unity business) and Ubuntu 11.10.
> Before I post it to launchpad as a bug report I want to try other things.
> So what can I do here to set input method as ibus in gnome-language-selector ?

> Regards
> Abhi

Surprisingly this was confirmed by one more user
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11658645&postcount=6
however I have been able to fix it.We need one more package
ibus-m17n
for this to work.
Mentioning here for future archives.