Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Abhishek Dixit

Default Solved: ubuntu got set in some unknown asian language

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff@fastmail.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 01:10 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>> ok I am a SOHO user.No geek kind of stuff.You can understand from my
>> questions easily.
>> /etc/default/locale is already there to en_US.UTF-8 but this problem
>> is still there
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/100684/unwanted-chinese-language-got-set-in-system-settings
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210
>
> The language-selector program can be started by running the command
> gnome-language-selector
> So I'd try searching for that in the Unity interface first and see if it
> finds that program.
Yes I had tried that.This thing was suggested to me
but unfortunately doing any kind of changes there which were nothing
but hit and trial for example see following snapshot
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704443014619612178
I have no idea what thing I had clicked and what was the effect of it
due to those key strokes.
Discussed here
I noticed in files
/etc/environment
$HOME/.profile
following lines were present

export LANGUAGE="zh_CN:en"
export LC_MESSAGES="zh_CN.UTF-8"
export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
export LC_COLLATE="zh_CN.UTF-8"

and in /etc/default/locale only US English line was present as you can
see this snapshot
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210

I went to those files and deleted these extra lines of Chinese
Language now I am able to resolve this problem and things are back on
track.
However specially want to mention that gnome-language-selector did not
helped at all.
Sharing this for future archives hope this solution will help some one
in future.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Tim Edwards

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 05:18 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff@fastmail.com.au>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 01:10 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> >> ok I am a SOHO user.No geek kind of stuff.You can understand from my
> >> questions easily.
> >> /etc/default/locale is already there to en_US.UTF-8 but this problem
> >> is still there
> >> http://askubuntu.com/questions/100684/unwanted-chinese-language-got-set-in-system-settings
> >> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210
> >
> > The language-selector program can be started by running the command
> > gnome-language-selector
> > So I'd try searching for that in the Unity interface first and see if it
> > finds that program.
> Yes I had tried that.This thing was suggested to me
> but unfortunately doing any kind of changes there which were nothing
> but hit and trial for example see following snapshot
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704443014619612178
> I have no idea what thing I had clicked and what was the effect of it
> due to those key strokes.
> Discussed here
> I noticed in files
> /etc/environment
> $HOME/.profile
> following lines were present
>
> export LANGUAGE="zh_CN:en"
> export LC_MESSAGES="zh_CN.UTF-8"
> export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
> export LC_COLLATE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
>
> and in /etc/default/locale only US English line was present as you can
> see this snapshot
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210
>
> I went to those files and deleted these extra lines of Chinese
> Language now I am able to resolve this problem and things are back on
> track.
> However specially want to mention that gnome-language-selector did not
> helped at all.
> Sharing this for future archives hope this solution will help some one
> in future.

Well (also for future reference) all you had to do was drag and drop
your preferred language in the list in gnome-language-selector to the
top. I can see in your screenshot you had English still as the 2nd
language, underneath the Asian language in the list. English or
English(Australia) should've been the top.

Of course if you prefer you can edit the 'export Language' and 'export
LC_XX' lines in ~/.profile directly too, since that's all
gnome-language-selector does anyway to change the active language, but
it's nicer using gnome-language-selector.

Tim

Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff@fastmail.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 05:18 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff@fastmail.com.au>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > The language-selector program can be started by running the command
>> > gnome-language-selector
>> > So I'd try searching for that in the Unity interface first and see if it
>> > finds that program.
>> Yes I had tried that.This thing was suggested to me
>> but unfortunately doing any kind of changes there which were nothing
>> but hit and trial for example see following snapshot
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704443014619612178
>> I have no idea what thing I had clicked and what was the effect of it
>> due to those key strokes.
>> Discussed here
>> I noticed in files
>> /etc/environment
>> $HOME/.profile
>> following lines were present
>>
>> export LANGUAGE="zh_CN:en"
>> export LC_MESSAGES="zh_CN.UTF-8"
>> export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
>> export LC_COLLATE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
>>
>> and in /etc/default/locale only US English line was present as you can
>> see this snapshot
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210
>>
>> I went to those files and deleted these extra lines of Chinese
>> Language now I am able to resolve this problem and things are back on
>> track.
>> However specially want to mention that gnome-language-selector did not
>> helped at all.
>> Sharing this for future archives hope this solution will help some one
>> in future.
>
> Well (also for future reference) all you had to do was drag and drop
> your preferred language in the list in gnome-language-selector to the
> top. I can see in your screenshot you had English still as the 2nd
> language, underneath the Asian language in the list. English or
> English(Australia) should've been the top.
>
> Of course if you prefer you can edit the 'export Language' and 'export
> LC_XX' lines in ~/.profile directly too, since that's all
> gnome-language-selector does anyway to change the active language, but
> it's nicer using gnome-language-selector.

See here is the problem I had for the first time opened the language
selector box.
Which was displayed in Chinese.I had to drag and drop it I will be
able to understand only if
the message displayed was in English.Hope you got my point.I had no
clue what to do with that so I had
to manually edit the files.However finding the spot where exactly was
the problem (Solution to which I posted)
was not so easy as it appears in post.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Tim Edwards

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 06:50 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff@fastmail.com.au>
> > Well (also for future reference) all you had to do was drag and drop
> > your preferred language in the list in gnome-language-selector to the
> > top. I can see in your screenshot you had English still as the 2nd
> > language, underneath the Asian language in the list. English or
> > English(Australia) should've been the top.
> >
> > Of course if you prefer you can edit the 'export Language' and 'export
> > LC_XX' lines in ~/.profile directly too, since that's all
> > gnome-language-selector does anyway to change the active language, but
> > it's nicer using gnome-language-selector.
> >
> See here is the problem I had for the first time opened the language
> selector box.
> Which was displayed in Chinese.I had to drag and drop it I will be
> able to understand only if
> the message displayed was in English.Hope you got my point.I had no
> clue what to do with that so I had
> to manually edit the files.However finding the spot where exactly was
> the problem (Solution to which I posted)
> was not so easy as it appears in post.

Yes, I realise you couldn't read the text which tells you to drag the
languages around, I forgot to mention that bit, although if you google
for 'Change Language in Ubuntu' you can usually find a step-by-step
guide with screenshots.

Anyway my post was more for future reference since all this gets
archived. Summary: if you set your system to some language you can't
understand run gnome-language-selector and drag and drop the entry for
'English' to the top (the entry for English should always display with
English letters). Then logout and log back in, or restart.

Tim