Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 AM
Abhishek Dixit

Default ubuntu got set in some unknown asian language

Hi,
yesterday I was discussing on this list as how to type in libreoffice
in Hindi (Indic language) on the following thread
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2012-February/256944.html
and a package installation problem
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2012-February/256922.html
as suggested by some members I have been doing changing in system
settings.How ever today morning when I did a reboot
I am unable to see English as my default language.My system is showing
some Korean or Chinese language which I do not understand.
I had asked the question (that I just want to use libreoffice for a
particular document in Hindi) what happened is even gmail is opening
in chinese language.
The system settings folder etc is also opening in chinese I am unable
to use the system now.
Have uploaded the snapshots here please have a look upon a reboot
asked to rename all folders
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704405897276606450
gmail opening in chinese
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704406102859334402
this is how menu on my system looks half english and half chinese
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704407869479955202
if you notice in third snapshot the calendar and menu is appearing in chinese.

I want the original US english menus folder names back.I just wanted
to type a document with Lohit Hindi font in Libreoffice.
Ubuntu 11.10 (I do not use Unity only Gnome desktop. I had installed
gnome-session-fallback long time back and had been using the same).

Please those who understand the things only reply I have no idea as
which suggestion of which member or what update (such as changing
server) caused me this problem.
How do I get back to all english submenus and english folder names.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Doug

[...]

/snip/

Interestingly enough, back in SuSE 10.0, I was using KMail until it
started producing incoming mails in some Asian font--Chinese, or something--
I didn't recognize it, and it was impossible to convert the mail to
something readable. This happened about once in every ten mails. Obviously
I had to stop using KMail. Possibly someone who knows how that was
fixed (if it ever was) might know what's going on with your fonts.

--doug

Abhi

Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 2/2/2012 12:39 AM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> yesterday I was discussing on this list as how to type in libreoffice
>> in Hindi (Indic language) on the following thread
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2012-February/256944.html
>> and a package installation problem
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2012-February/256922.html
>> as suggested by some members I have been doing changing in system
>> settings.How ever today morning when I did a reboot
>> I am unable to see English as my default language.My system is showing
>> some Korean or Chinese language which I do not understand.
>> I had asked the question (that I just want to use libreoffice for a
>> particular document in Hindi) what happened is even gmail is opening
>> in chinese language.
>> The system settings folder etc is also opening in chinese I am unable
>> to use the system now.
>> Have uploaded the snapshots here please have a look upon a reboot
>> asked to rename all folders
>>
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704405897276606450
>> gmail opening in chinese
>>
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704406102859334402
>> this is how menu on my system looks half english and half chinese
>>
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704407869479955202
>> if you notice in third snapshot the calendar and menu is appearing in
>> chinese.
>
> /snIip/
>
> Interestingly enough, back in SuSE 10.0, I was using KMail until it started
> producing incoming mails in some Asian font--Chinese, or something--
> I didn't recognize it, and it was impossible to convert the mail to
> something readable. *This happened about once in every ten mails. Obviously
> I had to stop using KMail. *Possibly someone who knows how that was fixed
> (if it ever was) might know what's going on with your fonts.

ok I am a SOHO user.No geek kind of stuff.You can understand from my
questions easily.
/etc/default/locale is already there to en_US.UTF-8 but this problem
is still there
http://askubuntu.com/questions/100684/unwanted-chinese-language-got-set-in-system-settings
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210

Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Tim Edwards

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 01:10 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> ok I am a SOHO user.No geek kind of stuff.You can understand from my
> questions easily.
> /etc/default/locale is already there to en_US.UTF-8 but this problem
> is still there
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/100684/unwanted-chinese-language-got-set-in-system-settings
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210

The language-selector program can be started by running the command
gnome-language-selector
So I'd try searching for that in the Unity interface first and see if it
finds that program.

If not you can try opening a terminal window and then running the
command gnome-language-selector, and if it doesn't start the language
selector program please copy and paste the output from the terminal and
(See here for instructions on opening a terminal:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
Note that even if the interface is not in English searching for
'terminal' should still show the terminal program (I think ).

Let us know how it goes.

Tim