FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Default User
 
Default moving data from home directory to home partition

Hi!

I run Ubuntu 11.10, home user, single user setup, no lvm, nothing exotic.* For simplicity I have just 2 partitions:

/* (bootable, ext4)
linux-swap

So all of my data (except system and application-generated configuration files, etc.) is in the /home directory of /.* I have heard a number of users recommend a separate home partition, that it makes things easier when updating or upgrading.*


So could I just:
1) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to create a new, separate home partition
2) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to mark the new partition as "home"

3) reboot
4) move the data from /home to the new home partition
5) reboot again

Would that work?* Or should I just wait until 12.04 and do a fresh install with a separate home partition then?




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default moving data from home directory to home partition

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I run Ubuntu 11.10, home user, single user setup, no lvm, nothing exotic.
> For simplicity I have just 2 partitions:
>
> /* (bootable, ext4)
> linux-swap
>
> So all of my data (except system and application-generated configuration
> files, etc.) is in the /home directory of /.* I have heard a number of users
> recommend a separate home partition, that it makes things easier when
> updating or upgrading.
>
> So could I just:
> 1) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to create a new,
> separate home partition
> 2) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to mark the new
> partition as "home"
> 3) reboot
> 4) move the data from /home to the new home partition
> 5) reboot again

Well, if I had to do that migration, I would:

Backup all my files I do not want to lose in case of failure, and then:

install and use gparted package, resize the root partition to leave
some empty space on hard disk, then create a new partition, create a
new ext4 filesystem on the new partition, edit /etc/fstab to have the
new partition mounted at /home directory on next boot, then I would
run

shutdown now

to enter single-user runlevel (you are the root user in that runlevel)
- or alternatively boot by choosing the option "Ubuntu, with Linux
3.0.0-15-generic (recovery mode)" and there choose the equivalent
options - or alternatively use a Live Ubuntu CD/DVD and become a
*root*

(no other user must be logged in, since you are going to move the
entire /home directory contents)

then mount the new partition in a temporary directory, move the
contents of /home directory to the temporary directory, unmount the
temporary directory, then reboot, and if nothing went wrong, you are
ready to go.


However, I think that there is no reason to do that for home user
installations, a separate home directory makes sense usually in a
server (usually without X.Org installed), with many users that you do
not trust environment.

In any case, I think it is better to leave it at least your next clean
installation of Ubuntu.

However, for home users I think it is not needed to have separate
/home partition. But you may wish to experiment, which is OK too.


> Would that work?* Or should I just wait until 12.04 and do a fresh install
> with a separate home partition then?

Then it is better, if you need to do it.



--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default moving data from home directory to home partition

Corrections in the procedure:


On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I run Ubuntu 11.10, home user, single user setup, no lvm, nothing exotic.
>> For simplicity I have just 2 partitions:
>>
>> /* (bootable, ext4)
>> linux-swap
>>
>> So all of my data (except system and application-generated configuration
>> files, etc.) is in the /home directory of /.* I have heard a number of users
>> recommend a separate home partition, that it makes things easier when
>> updating or upgrading.
>>
>> So could I just:
>> 1) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to create a new,
>> separate home partition
>> 2) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to mark the new
>> partition as "home"
>> 3) reboot
>> 4) move the data from /home to the new home partition
>> 5) reboot again
>
> Well, if I had to do that migration, I would:
>
> Backup all my files I do not want to lose in case of failure, and then:
>
> install and use gparted package, resize the root partition to leave
> some empty space on hard disk, then create a new partition, create a

NO: > new ext4 filesystem on the new partition, edit /etc/fstab to have the
> new partition mounted at /home directory on next boot,

YES: new ext4 filesystem on the new partition,

> then I would
> run
>
> shutdown now
>
> to enter single-user runlevel (you are the root user in that runlevel)
> - or alternatively boot by choosing the option "Ubuntu, with Linux
> 3.0.0-15-generic (recovery mode)" *and there choose the equivalent
> options - or alternatively use a Live Ubuntu CD/DVD and become a
> *root*
>
> (no other user must be logged in, since you are going to move the
> entire /home directory contents)
>
> then mount the new partition in a temporary directory, move the
> contents of /home directory to the temporary directory, unmount the
> temporary directory,

edit /etc/fstab (in single user mode) or in the mounted partition if
you use Live CD/DVD, to have the
new partition mounted at /home directory on next boot,

> then reboot, and if nothing went wrong, you are
> ready to go.
>
>
> However, I think that there is no reason to do that for home user
> installations, a separate home directory makes sense usually in a
> server (usually without X.Org installed), with many users that you do
> not trust environment.
>
> In any case, I think it is better to leave it at least your next clean
> installation of Ubuntu.
>
> However, for home users I think it is not needed to have separate
> /home partition. But you may wish to experiment, which is OK too.
>
>
>> Would that work?* Or should I just wait until 12.04 and do a fresh install
>> with a separate home partition then?
>
> Then it is better, if you need to do it.


--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default moving data from home directory to home partition

On 1 February 2012 19:59, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I run Ubuntu 11.10, home user, single user setup, no lvm, nothing exotic.
> For simplicity I have just 2 partitions:
>
> /* (bootable, ext4)
> linux-swap
>
> So all of my data (except system and application-generated configuration
> files, etc.) is in the /home directory of /.* I have heard a number of users
> recommend a separate home partition, that it makes things easier when
> updating or upgrading.
>
> So could I just:
> 1) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to create a new,
> separate home partition
> 2) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to mark the new
> partition as "home"
> 3) reboot
> 4) move the data from /home to the new home partition
> 5) reboot again
>
> Would that work?* Or should I just wait until 12.04 and do a fresh install
> with a separate home partition then?

What Ioannis said, basically.

I have done this before.

In a simpler form, the steps are:

[0] Back up all your stuff somewhere safe, on another drive!

Then:

[1] Boot from LiveCD

[2] Use Gparted to:
[a] shrink your root partition
[b] make a new extended partition
[c] in there, make & format a new logical ext4 partition. Give it an
easy name such as "home" - ideally with no spaces or punctuation.

[3] Reboot.

[4] Click on your new partition in "Computer". It should mount
automatically on something like /media/home. Check it's OK.

[5] Make a folder in named with your username. So if your username is
"jsmith" make a folder called "jsmith"

[5] Copy everything in your home directory into the new volume. You
could use the LiveCD for this again.

[6] Edit fstab and set the new folder to mount as /home

Reboot and try it.

If it works OK, boot from a LiveCD again, check the new partition has
all your stuff in it, and if so, remove all the contents of the old
/home folder on the root filesystem.

If all this sounds too complicated - and I am deliberately not giving
step-by-step instructions, as if you need them, you won't be able to
recover if anything goes wrong and you risk breaking your system -
then what you should do is:

[1] back up everything in /home/YourUserName to an external disk
[2] reformat and reinstall with a separate /home partition
[3] then restore all your stuff



--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Default User
 
Default moving data from home directory to home partition

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 16:00, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On 1 February 2012 19:59, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!

>

> I run Ubuntu 11.10, home user, single user setup, no lvm, nothing exotic.

> For simplicity I have just 2 partitions:

>

> /* (bootable, ext4)

> linux-swap

>

> So all of my data (except system and application-generated configuration

> files, etc.) is in the /home directory of /.* I have heard a number of users

> recommend a separate home partition, that it makes things easier when

> updating or upgrading.

>

> So could I just:

> 1) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to create a new,

> separate home partition

> 2) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to mark the new

> partition as "home"

> 3) reboot

> 4) move the data from /home to the new home partition

> 5) reboot again

>

> Would that work?* Or should I just wait until 12.04 and do a fresh install

> with a separate home partition then?



What Ioannis said, basically.



I have done this before.



In a simpler form, the steps are:



[0] Back up all your stuff somewhere safe, on another drive!



Then:



[1] Boot from LiveCD



[2] Use Gparted to:

[a] shrink your root partition

[b] make a new extended partition

[c] in there, make & format a new logical ext4 partition. Give it an

easy name such as "home" - ideally with no spaces or punctuation.



[3] Reboot.



[4] Click on your new partition in "Computer". It should mount

automatically on something like /media/home. Check it's OK.



[5] Make a folder in named with your username. So if your username is

"jsmith" make a folder called "jsmith"



[5] Copy everything in your home directory into the new volume. You

could use the LiveCD for this again.



[6] Edit fstab and set the new folder to mount as /home



Reboot and try it.



If it works OK, boot from a LiveCD again, check the new partition has

all your stuff in it, and if so, remove all the contents of the old

/home folder on the root filesystem.



If all this sounds too complicated - and I am deliberately not giving

step-by-step instructions, as if you need them, you won't be able to

recover if anything goes wrong and you risk breaking your system -

then what you should do is:



[1] back up everything in /home/YourUserName to an external disk

[2] reformat and reinstall with a separate /home partition

[3] then restore all your stuff







--

Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile

Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



Okay, thanks for the info.* I think I'll just wait and try it on a fresh install of 12.4.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Bruce Ferrell
 
Default moving data from home directory to home partition

On 02/01/2012 11:59 AM, Default User wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I run Ubuntu 11.10, home user, single user setup, no lvm, nothing exotic. For simplicity I have just 2 partitions:
>
> / (bootable, ext4)
> linux-swap
>
> So all of my data (except system and application-generated configuration files, etc.) is in the /home directory of /. I have heard a number of users recommend a separate home
> partition, that it makes things easier when updating or upgrading.
>
> So could I just:
> 1) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to create a new, separate home partition
> 2) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to mark the new partition as "home"
> 3) reboot
> 4) move the data from /home to the new home partition
> 5) reboot again
>
> Would that work? Or should I just wait until 12.04 and do a fresh install with a separate home partition then?
>
Well, you could do it either way. Both... Intricate. What I would do is to add a second drive, partition it (you have to put partitions on) mount it temporarily some where (/mnt2?)

move everything from /home to /mnt2. edit /etc/fstab to make the new disk/partition mount on /home and reboot

easy peasy!


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org