Old 02-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Chris Green

Default LibreOffice spreadsheet question, can cells expand as you type?

Maybe this just isn't how spreadsheets work but here's hoping.

Is there a setting somewhere in LibreOffice spreadsheet that makes cells
expand as you enter characters? By that I mean can you make the whole
column grow (and stay grown) rather than the default that grows just the
cell where you're entering text and then truncates the view when you
leave the cell.

... and as a corollary to that is there a way to show only cells with
data in them rather then the default 'much larger than the window'
layout?

--
Chris Green

Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
"Peter N. Spotts"

Maybe this just isn't how spreadsheets work but here's hoping.

Is there a setting somewhere in LibreOffice spreadsheet that makes cells
expand as you enter characters? By that I mean can you make the whole
column grow (and stay grown) rather than the default that grows just the
cell where you're entering text and then truncates the view when you
leave the cell.

... and as a corollary to that is there a way to show only cells with
data in them rather then the default 'much larger than the window'
layout?

I don't think so, Chris. Caveat: I'm not a power user. But the only way
I know of to expand a cell is manually, keying off the cell with the
largest number of characters. Format->Column->Optimal width.

There may be power users out there who have discovered an automatic way
to do it.

Hope this helps until a real expert comes along! ;-)

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
-- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

"I just bought a 12-pound theropod for Thanksgiving Dinner."
-- From a paleontology email list

Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Steve Flynn

On 1 February 2012 14:40, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Maybe this just isn't how spreadsheets work but here's hoping.
>
> Is there a setting somewhere in LibreOffice spreadsheet that makes cells
> expand as you enter characters? *By that I mean can you make the whole
> column grow (and stay grown) rather than the default that grows just the
> cell where you're entering text and then truncates the view when you
> leave the cell.

Does dragging on the rulers at the side/top of the not do what you
want? Obviously making a column wider affects every cell in the column
(and the same applies to making a row 'deeper' by dragging the ruler
at the left side of the sheet, obviously).

I'm not running LibreOffice here at work, but in Excel the closest I
can come to replicating what I think you want is to select the cell
you want to expand, format it and on the alignment tab, check "wrap
text". I'd be surprised if LibreOffice doesn't have the equivalent.

> ... and as a corollary to that is there a way to show only cells with
> data in them rather then the default 'much larger than the window'
> layout?

Not unless you've gone to some length to arrange your data so that you
can hide columns / rows which you've not populated. You don't hide
specific cells, but the entire column or row. Thus, you can't for
example hide cell A1 and have data displayed in B1 or A2 as you'll
have hidden the entire row or column.

As I say, you can work around this if it's particularly important to
you by carefully placing interesting cells on the same rows and
columns and hiding everything else.

--
Steve

Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Chris Green

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 09:50:34AM -0500, Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> On 02/01/2012 09:40 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> >Maybe this just isn't how spreadsheets work but here's hoping.
> >
> >Is there a setting somewhere in LibreOffice spreadsheet that makes cells
> >expand as you enter characters? By that I mean can you make the whole
> >column grow (and stay grown) rather than the default that grows just the
> >cell where you're entering text and then truncates the view when you
> >leave the cell.
> >
> >... and as a corollary to that is there a way to show only cells with
> >data in them rather then the default 'much larger than the window'
> >layout?
> >

> I don't think so, Chris. Caveat: I'm not a power user. But the only
> way I know of to expand a cell is manually, keying off the cell with
> the largest number of characters. Format->Column->Optimal width.

I want different widths for different columns. ... and even then the
setting doesn't "stick". I want to set a column to 'fit' for the *next*
time I type stuff into it, I don't want to have to fit it again every
time a column gets a bit wider.

> There may be power users out there who have discovered an automatic
> way to do it.
>
> Hope this helps until a real expert comes along! ;-)

OK, it's not as if a spreadsheet is really what I want anyway, it just
seems to be the default for storing data in columns/rows easily.

I *really* want a database which provides me, quickly and easily (i.e.
not down a maze of menus etc.) with a way to enter data in columns ad
rows.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Chris Green

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 03:00:44PM +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On 1 February 2012 14:40, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > Maybe this just isn't how spreadsheets work but here's hoping.
> >
> > Is there a setting somewhere in LibreOffice spreadsheet that makes cells
> > expand as you enter characters? *By that I mean can you make the whole
> > column grow (and stay grown) rather than the default that grows just the
> > cell where you're entering text and then truncates the view when you
> > leave the cell.
>
> Does dragging on the rulers at the side/top of the not do what you
> want? Obviously making a column wider affects every cell in the column
> (and the same applies to making a row 'deeper' by dragging the ruler
> at the left side of the sheet, obviously).
>
> I'm not running LibreOffice here at work, but in Excel the closest I
> can come to replicating what I think you want is to select the cell
> you want to expand, format it and on the alignment tab, check "wrap
> text". I'd be surprised if LibreOffice doesn't have the equivalent.

I want it to grow as I enter text, not force me to do it manually after
it's overflowed.

> > ... and as a corollary to that is there a way to show only cells with
> > data in them rather then the default 'much larger than the window'
> > layout?
>
> Not unless you've gone to some length to arrange your data so that you
> can hide columns / rows which you've not populated. You don't hide
> specific cells, but the entire column or row. Thus, you can't for
> example hide cell A1 and have data displayed in B1 or A2 as you'll
> have hidden the entire row or column.
>
> As I say, you can work around this if it's particularly important to
> you by carefully placing interesting cells on the same rows and
> columns and hiding everything else.

What I *really* want is a database with an easy route to entering data
in 'grid' mode, but there seems to be nothing available.

The closest to what I want in terms of data entry is a table in
libreOffice or Abiword but they provide no way to access the data easily
as rows/columns.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Maybe this just isn't how spreadsheets work but here's hoping.
>
> Is there a setting somewhere in LibreOffice spreadsheet that makes cells
> expand as you enter characters? *By that I mean can you make the whole
> column grow (and stay grown) rather than the default that grows just the
> cell where you're entering text and then truncates the view when you
> leave the cell.
>
> ... and as a corollary to that is there a way to show only cells with
> data in them rather then the default 'much larger than the window'
> layout?

I think the best place to get the best answer, is LibreOffice users'
mailing list, or perhaps forum:

http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM
bwucie

Don't know about the second query, but to allow the cells to grow over the
whole row to equal the largest cell, select the whole table (Click in the
very top left hand corner of the spreadsheet will do that) then:

Format>Row>Optimal height
Format>Cells>Alignment>Wrap text automatically

Together, those two will do the trick - just spent an hour or so working
that out myself!