Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Abhishek Dixit

Default how to type in hindi

Hi,
I opened libreoffice 3.0 (Ubuntu 11.10) and selected Lohit Hindi font
in the fonts selection column.
Downloaded the charachter map of English and Hindi keys as given here
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/International_Language_Support_Guide/images/hindi.png
but when I am typing in Hindi with my english keyboard there is no
Hindi word I still the english letters typed as
"kerasadsd".Which should not happen since Lohit Hindi font is selected
so I expected the correcponding key mapped Hindi characters to appear.
What mistake did I do in above?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Abhishek Dixit

2012/2/1 সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার <toshazed@gmail.com>:
> Dear Abhishek
>
> Goto your system keyboard preferences and add the default indian keyboard
> layout there. This will enable the feature to get your keystroks and display
> the hindi characters as you type.

I have only English US keyboard.I am using the same to type in Hindi
and where exactly are these system keyboard preferences?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার
<toshazed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Abhishek
>
> 2012/2/1 Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com>
>>
>> I have only English US keyboard.I am using the same to type in Hindi and
>> where exactly are these system keyboard preferences?
>

> 1. You have to switch between Hindi and English keyboard layouts while
> typing.
>
> 2. Go to the Unity Global Menu on the left of the desktop screen and there
> you will get System Settings Application Icon. Click and in the new window
> you will have the Keyboard Layouts Application.

I am not able to understand what you suggested.I am using only one
keyboard that has English US layout.
It is a laptop I have used sanskrit 99 font also on the same machine
and I was able to type in Devnagri script without doing any of the
extra things which you are mentioning but things are not working with
Lohit Hindi font.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

<toshazed@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Abhishek

2012/2/1 Abhishek Dixit<abhidixit87@gmail.com>

I have only English US keyboard.I am using the same to type in Hindi and
where exactly are these system keyboard preferences?

1. You have to switch between Hindi and English keyboard layouts while
typing.

2. Go to the Unity Global Menu on the left of the desktop screen and there
you will get System Settings Application Icon. Click and in the new window
you will have the Keyboard Layouts Application.

I am not able to understand what you suggested.I am using only one
keyboard that has English US layout.
It is a laptop I have used sanskrit 99 font also on the same machine
and I was able to type in Devnagri script without doing any of the
extra things which you are mentioning but things are not working with
Lohit Hindi font.

I will suggest using iBus. We run a Hindi site Kalkion.com and all the
content is composed using Ubuntu/iBus.

From Software Center install iBus and also m17 engine for Hindi. Then
configure Hindi. Now you can easily switch between Hindi/English just by
hitting Ctrl+Space key.

If you have questions let me know and we can do an article about how to
type in Hindi on Muktware.com.

Swapnil

Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Swapnil Bhartiya
<swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2012 03:48 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার
>> <toshazed@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Abhishek

>>> 1. You have to switch between Hindi and English keyboard layouts while
>>> typing.
>>>
>>> 2. Go to the Unity Global Menu on the left of the desktop screen and
>>> there
>>> you will get System Settings Application Icon. Click and in the new
>>> window
>>> you will have the Keyboard Layouts Application.
>>>
>> I am not able to understand what you suggested.I am using only one
>> keyboard that has English US layout.
>> It is a laptop I have used sanskrit 99 font also on the same machine
>> and I was able to type in Devnagri script without doing any of the
>> extra things which you are mentioning but things are not working with
>> Lohit Hindi font.
>

> I will suggest using iBus. We run a Hindi site Kalkion.com and all the
> content is composed using Ubuntu/iBus.
I installed ibus
> From Software Center install iBus and also m17 engine for Hindi.
installed m17 also
> Then
> configure Hindi.
Not clear how to do this?

> Now you can easily switch between Hindi/English just by
> hitting Ctrl+Space key.
Opened libreoffice and pressed Ctrl+space with Lohit Hindi font
selected but there was no change in the text typed.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

<toshazed@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

From Software Center install iBus and also m17 engine for Hindi.

installed m17 also

Then
configure Hindi.

Not clear how to do this?

Just wrote and published an article for you. Hope this will help you.
These are step-by-step instructions. A video will be uploaded soon.

http://www.muktware.com/articles/3268/how-type-hindi-ubuntu

Swapnil Bhartiya