-   -   Mounting Android Tablet (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/627638-mounting-android-tablet.html)

Swapnil Bhartiya 02-01-2012 08:30 AM

Mounting Android Tablet

Hi,

I have Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and I can't mount it on my Ubuntu
system. When I connect it, all I see is a folder with numbers like 0000.
There is no content in these folders. I did file a bug report with gMPTP
project but no progress as such. Is there any way to easily mount my
tablet to Ubuntu and transfer data -- some of my users are also facing
the similar problem.

PS: I am willing for helping in testing
Thanks
Swapnil Bhartiya

DEF 02-01-2012 09:45 AM

Mounting Android Tablet

On Feb 1, 2012 10:31 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya" <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I have Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and I can't mount it on my Ubuntu system. When I connect it, all I see is a folder with numbers like 0000. There is no content in these folders. I did file a bug report with gMPTP project but no progress as such. Is there any way to easily mount my tablet to Ubuntu and transfer data -- some of my users are also facing the similar problem.

Yes.

First on your galaxy tablet: Settings --> Wireless and network --> USB settings(Set USB cconnection) --> Mass storage.**

Then once you connect it to Ubuntu, you would be prompted by a mount USB message [on the Galaxy tablet] which you have to accept. Once that is done Ubuntu automatically mounts il like an external USB storage.*

Goodluck

Def

Swapnil Bhartiya 02-01-2012 09:53 AM

Mounting Android Tablet

<mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and I can't mount it on my Ubuntu
system. When I connect it, all I see is a folder with numbers like 0000.
There is no content in these folders. I did file a bug report with gMPTP
project but no progress as such. Is there any way to easily mount my
tablet to Ubuntu and transfer data -- some of my users are also facing
the similar problem.

Yes.
First on your galaxy tablet: Settings --> Wireless and network --> USB
settings(Set USB cconnection) --> Mass storage.

Galaxy 10.1 doesn't have the USB mount option. My Nexus S which runs on
Android 4.0 has this option. Galaxy is using MTP protocol which doesn't
allow it to mount as USB storage device. I can mount it on Windows
though, but I don't use Windows. So, Ubuntu should be able to mount as well.

Thanks.

DEF 02-01-2012 10:41 AM

Mounting Android Tablet

On Feb 1, 2012 11:54 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya" <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/01/2012 11:45 AM, DEF wrote:

>> On Feb 1, 2012 10:31 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya" <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com

>> <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com>> wrote:

>> *>

>> *> Hi,

>> *>

>> *> I have Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and I can't mount it on my Ubuntu

>> system. When I connect it, all I see is a folder with numbers like 0000.

>> There is no content in these folders. I did file a bug report with gMPTP

>> project but no progress as such. Is there any way to easily mount my

>> tablet to Ubuntu and transfer data -- some of my users are also facing

>> the similar problem.

>> *>

>> Yes.

>> First on your galaxy tablet: Settings --> Wireless and network --> USB

>> settings(Set USB cconnection) --> Mass storage.

> Galaxy 10.1 doesn't have the USB mount option.

Which software version is it using.?

Swapnil Bhartiya 02-01-2012 10:44 AM

Mounting Android Tablet

<swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com>
>> <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com
<mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com>>> wrote:

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and I can't mount it on my Ubuntu
>> system. When I connect it, all I see is a folder with numbers like 0000.
>> There is no content in these folders. I did file a bug report with gMPTP
>> project but no progress as such. Is there any way to easily mount my
>> tablet to Ubuntu and transfer data -- some of my users are also facing
>> the similar problem.
>> >

>> Yes.
>> First on your galaxy tablet: Settings --> Wireless and network --> USB
>> settings(Set USB cconnection) --> Mass storage.
>

> Galaxy 10.1 doesn't have the USB mount option.

Android 3.2

Swapnil

Jared Norris 02-01-2012 11:34 AM

Mounting Android Tablet

On 1 February 2012 21:44, Swapnil Bhartiya <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2012 12:41 PM, DEF wrote:
>>

>> On Feb 1, 2012 11:54 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya" <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com
>> <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> *>
>> *> On 02/01/2012 11:45 AM, DEF wrote:
>> *>>
>> *>>
>> *>> On Feb 1, 2012 10:31 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya"
>> <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com>
>> *>> <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com
>>
>> <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>> *>> >
>> *>> > Hi,
>> *>> >
>> *>> > I have Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and I can't mount it on my Ubuntu
>> *>> system. When I connect it, all I see is a folder with numbers like
>> 0000.
>> *>> There is no content in these folders. I did file a bug report with
>> gMPTP
>> *>> project but no progress as such. Is there any way to easily mount my
>> *>> tablet to Ubuntu and transfer data -- some of my users are also facing
>> *>> the similar problem.
>> *>> >
>> *>>
>> *>> Yes.
>> *>> First on your galaxy tablet: Settings --> Wireless and network --> USB
>> *>> settings(Set USB cconnection) --> Mass storage.
>> *>
>> *>
>> *> Galaxy 10.1 doesn't have the USB mount option.
>

> Android 3.2
>
> Swapnil
>

>> Which software version is it using.?
>>
>> My Nexus S which runs on Android 4.0 has this option. Galaxy is using
>> MTP protocol which doesn't allow it to mount as USB storage device. I
>> can mount it on Windows though, but I don't use Windows. So, Ubuntu
>> should be able to mount as well.
>> *>
>> *> Thanks.
>> *>
>> *>
>> *> --
>> *> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> *> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
>>
>> *> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

I don't own one so can't test it but there appears to be 2 methods
that generally work for most people I've seen in a quick online
search.

1 - Install MTP - "sudo apt-get install mtp-tools" - a lot of users
advise this works and allows them to mount the device.
2 - Change the device to turn USB debugging on. This reportedly makes
it function as a mass storage device.

Short of getting my hands on one, which doesn't appear likely, let us
know those 2 options go.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Swapnil Bhartiya 02-01-2012 11:43 AM

Mounting Android Tablet

On 02/01/2012 01:34 PM, Jared Norris wrote:

On 1 February 2012 21:44, Swapnil Bhartiya<swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:

On 02/01/2012 12:41 PM, DEF wrote:

On Feb 1, 2012 11:54 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya"<swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com
<mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com>> wrote:

> On 02/01/2012 11:45 AM, DEF wrote:
>>

>> On Feb 1, 2012 10:31 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya"
<swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com<mailto:swapnil.bhartiy a@gmail.com>
>> <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com

<mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com>>> wrote:

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and I can't mount it on my Ubuntu
>> system. When I connect it, all I see is a folder with numbers like
0000.
>> There is no content in these folders. I did file a bug report with
gMPTP
>> project but no progress as such. Is there any way to easily mount my
>> tablet to Ubuntu and transfer data -- some of my users are also facing
>> the similar problem.
>> >

>> Yes.
>> First on your galaxy tablet: Settings --> Wireless and network --> USB
>> settings(Set USB cconnection) --> Mass storage.
>

> Galaxy 10.1 doesn't have the USB mount option.

Android 3.2

Swapnil

Which software version is it using.?

My Nexus S which runs on Android 4.0 has this option. Galaxy is using
MTP protocol which doesn't allow it to mount as USB storage device. I
can mount it on Windows though, but I don't use Windows. So, Ubuntu
should be able to mount as well.

> Thanks.

I don't own one so can't test it but there appears to be 2 methods
that generally work for most people I've seen in a quick online
search.

Tried both methods, none worked. mtp has some bugs and I filed the bug
reports but no progress so far.

1 - Install MTP - "sudo apt-get install mtp-tools" - a lot of users
advise this works and allows them to mount the device.
2 - Change the device to turn USB debugging on. This reportedly makes
it function as a mass storage device.

Short of getting my hands on one, which doesn't appear likely, let us
know those 2 options go.

If you live in Brussels you can play with my Tablet ;-)

Swapnil

Jeffrey Gray 02-01-2012 11:45 AM

Mounting Android Tablet

Hell, if you live in Tulsa, Oklahoma USA you can play with mine as
this has been a burning issue in my book! On mine I could not even
get it to mount correctly in windows and had to use Kies to transfer
to and from it.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Swapnil Bhartiya

Swapnil Bhartiya 02-01-2012 11:48 AM

Mounting Android Tablet

On 02/01/2012 01:45 PM, Jeffrey Gray wrote:

Hell, if you live in Tulsa, Oklahoma USA you can play with mine as
this has been a burning issue in my book! On mine I could not even
get it to mount correctly in windows and had to use Kies to transfer
to and from it.

Unfortunately, I can connect to windows without Kies, but I don't use
Windows.

Swapnil