Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 AM
Sam Sebastian

Default Is it okay to install a .deb that wasn't made for your version

i need to install ostinato (http://code.google.com/p/ostinato) and it only has .debs for 11.04 and 10.04 and i'm using 11.10 would it be okay if i install the 11.04 version? I already tired compiling from the source code and i got error messages:

cd extra/ && /usr/bin/qmake /home/sam/Documents/ostinato-0.5/ostinato/extra/extra.pro -o Makefilecd extra/ && make -f Makefile*make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sam/Documents/ostinato-0.5/ostinato/extra'

cd qhexedit2/ && /usr/bin/qmake /home/sam/Documents/ostinato-0.5/ostinato/extra/qhexedit2/qhexedit2.pro -o Makefilecd qhexedit2/ && make -f Makefile*

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sam/Documents/ostinato-0.5/ostinato/extra/qhexedit2'g++ -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -fPIC -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -o commands.o src/commands.cpp

In file included from src/commands.cpp:1:0:src/commands.h:6:24: fatal error: QUndoCommand: No such file or directorycompilation terminated.make[2]: *** [commands.o] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sam/Documents/ostinato-0.5/ostinato/extra/qhexedit2'make[1]: *** [sub-qhexedit2-make_default] Error 2make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sam/Documents/ostinato-0.5/ostinato/extra'

make: *** [sub-extra-make_default-ordered] Error 2

thanks for the help

Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 AM
"A. Kromic"

On 01/02/12 05:26, Sam Sebastian wrote:
> i need to install ostinato (http://code.google.com/p/ostinato) and it
> only has .debs for 11.04 and 10.04 and i'm using 11.10 would it be
> okay if i install the 11.04 version? I already tired compiling from
> the source code and i got error messages:
> ...snip..

Actually it is quite simple with such debs, you simply try to install
it. It will have certain requirements, and if all those dependencies are
satisfied, it will install fine, and as a rule it should also run fine...

If it is "not okay" for the distribution in question, it will simply not
install because of the missing dependencies, and that's all; no harm done.

A.Kromic
-
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message;
however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Tim Edwards

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 01:10 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> ok I am a SOHO user.No geek kind of stuff.You can understand from my
> questions easily.
> /etc/default/locale is already there to en_US.UTF-8 but this problem
> is still there
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/100684/unwanted-chinese-language-got-set-in-system-settings
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704438714062026210

The language-selector program can be started by running the command
gnome-language-selector
So I'd try searching for that in the Unity interface first and see if it
finds that program.

If not you can try opening a terminal window and then running the
command gnome-language-selector, and if it doesn't start the language
selector program please copy and paste the output from the terminal and
(See here for instructions on opening a terminal:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
Note that even if the interface is not in English searching for
'terminal' should still show the terminal program (I think ).

Let us know how it goes.

Tim

Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Tim Edwards

Sorry please ignore this, clicked on the wrong thread.