Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Abhishek Dixit

Default E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

sudo apt-get install kword
[sudo] password for deel:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

kword : Depends: koffice-libs (>= 1:2.3.3-0ubuntu6) but it is not
going to be installed

How can I fix above problem I used the apt-get install -f option and
dpkg --configure -a also but I get above message each time.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Abhishek Dixit

2012/2/1 সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার <toshazed@gmail.com>:
> Dear Abhishek
>
> Try the followings one after another on your terminal and then try to
> install your desired packages.
>
> sudo apt-get install --fix-broken
> sudo apt-get autoclean
> sudo apt-get autoremove
>
> Think that will do. If not then change your source server and try again.
Well I tried the above commands but still unable to install kword.
I get the same error.
My servers are US servers all of them.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার
<toshazed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Abhishek
>
> 2012/2/1 Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com>
>>
>> 2012/2/1 সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার <toshazed@gmail.com>:
>> > Dear Abhishek
>> >
>> > Try the followings one after another on your terminal and then try to
>> > install your desired packages.
>> >
>> > sudo apt-get install --fix-broken
>> > sudo apt-get autoclean
>> > sudo apt-get autoremove
>> >
>> > Think that will do. If not then change your source server and try again.
>> Well I tried the above commands but still unable to install kword. I get
>> the same error.
>> My servers are US servers all of them.
>

> I suggested you to change your server. Try any server from Europe and then
> issue --

How do I change server?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Liam Proven

On 1 February 2012 14:49, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার
> <toshazed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Abhishek

>>> Well I tried the above commands but still unable to install kword. I get
>>> the same error.
>>> My servers are US servers all of them.
>>

>> I suggested you to change your server. Try any server from Europe and then
>> issue --
>>
> How do I change server?

In Synaptic (if you have it installed) or System Settings | Software
Sources. Look for the option to find the fastest server. It usually
picks a lightly-loaded mirror near you.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 February 2012 14:49, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার
>> <toshazed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear Abhishek

>>> I suggested you to change your server. Try any server from Europe and then
>>> issue --
>>>
>> How do I change server?
>
> In Synaptic (if you have it installed) or System Settings | Software
> Sources. Look for the option to find the fastest server. It usually
> picks a lightly-loaded mirror near you.

ok I changed to european servers did an apt-get update
but after this still apt-get install kword fails

Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> sudo apt-get install kword
> [sudo] password for deel:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

> *kword : Depends: koffice-libs (>= 1:2.3.3-0ubuntu6) but it is not
> going to be installed
>

> How can I fix above problem I used the apt-get install -f option and
> dpkg --configure -a also but I get above message each time.

1. In Synaptic, go to Settings->Repositories, and in "Ubuntu Software"
tab, make sure the first four options are selected.

2. Then, go to the "Other Software" tab, and make sure the first
(Canonical Partners) and third (Independent) options are selected.

3. Press the Close button to close the dialog.

4. Press the Reload button to reload the repositories info.

5. Try installing the package you want, in Synaptic.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
James Tappin

IV> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
IV> > sudo apt-get install kword
IV> > [sudo] password for deel:
IV> > Reading package lists... Done
IV> > Building dependency tree
IV> > Reading state information... Done
IV> > Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
IV> > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
IV> > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
IV> > or been moved out of Incoming.
IV> > The following information may help to resolve the situation:
IV> >
IV> > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
IV> > *kword : Depends: koffice-libs (>= 1:2.3.3-0ubuntu6) but it is not
IV> > going to be installed
IV> > E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
IV> >
IV> >
IV> > How can I fix above problem I used the apt-get install -f option and
IV> > dpkg --configure -a also but I get above message each time.

Did you at any stage try the calligra packages from the beta-ppa? I had a very similar sisuation when I tried to reinstall koffice after having installed calligra (and then removed it & its repository). Even after an apt-get autoremove I still had similat messages.

My fix:
Start up apper,
select the installed packages icon.
search by description for calligra
remove those packages that were still installed
install koffice and it worked.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:25 AM, James Tappin <sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

> IV> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> IV> > sudo apt-get install kword
> IV> > [sudo] password for deel:
> IV> > Reading package lists... Done
> IV> > Building dependency tree
> IV> > Reading state information... Done
> IV> > Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> IV> > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> IV> > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> IV> > or been moved out of Incoming.
> IV> > The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> IV> >
> IV> > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> IV> > *kword : Depends: koffice-libs (>= 1:2.3.3-0ubuntu6) but it is not
> IV> > going to be installed
> IV> > E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> IV> >
> IV> >
> IV> > How can I fix above problem I used the apt-get install -f option and
> IV> > dpkg --configure -a also but I get above message each time.
>
> Did you at any stage try the calligra packages from the beta-ppa? I had a very similar sisuation when I tried to reinstall koffice after having installed calligra (and then removed it & its repository). Even after an apt-get autoremove I still had similat messages.
No no calligra etc.Now my problem has worsened some unknown chinese
language has got set all my folders are appearing in chinese.