-   -   ubuntu rolling release (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/627446-ubuntu-rolling-release.html)

Default User 01-31-2012 07:35 PM

ubuntu rolling release

Has anyone heard lately of any effort to make an official rolling release version of Ubuntu?* I mean Ubuntu, not LMDE or Debian testing, etc.*

Liam Proven 02-01-2012 02:25 AM

ubuntu rolling release

On 31 January 2012 20:35, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone heard lately of any effort to make an official rolling release
> version of Ubuntu?* I mean Ubuntu, not LMDE or Debian testing, etc.

As the MOTU don't release work-in-progress packages - at least, AFAIK
- this is effectively impossible.

Some time after release, there is an alpha of the next version, then a
beta or 2 & sometimes an RC. That's it.

This is insufficient basis upon which to base a rolling release.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Default User 02-01-2012 02:59 AM

ubuntu rolling release

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:25, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On 31 January 2012 20:35, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone heard lately of any effort to make an official rolling release

> version of Ubuntu?* I mean Ubuntu, not LMDE or Debian testing, etc.

As the MOTU don't release work-in-progress packages - at least, AFAIK

- this is effectively impossible.

Some time after release, there is an alpha of the next version, then a

beta or 2 & sometimes an RC. That's it.

This is insufficient basis upon which to base a rolling release.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

:-(

*

Liam Proven 02-01-2012 12:52 PM

ubuntu rolling release

On 1 February 2012 03:59, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:25, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 31 January 2012 20:35, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Has anyone heard lately of any effort to make an official rolling
>> > release
>> > version of Ubuntu?* I mean Ubuntu, not LMDE or Debian testing, etc.
>>
>> As the MOTU don't release work-in-progress packages - at least, AFAIK
>> - this is effectively impossible.
>>
>> Some time after release, there is an alpha of the next version, then a
>> beta or 2 & sometimes an RC. That's it.
>>
>> This is insufficient basis upon which to base a rolling release.
>
> :-(

LMDE is actually pretty good - it's Debian, but without the pain, and
it's got proper Firefox etc. not the rebranded versions. It's also
easier to add the proprietary gubbins that make life bearable without
too much mucking around.

But there are tons of distros out there still. Many offer rolling
releases, if that's what you want. I think some demarcation is a good
thing.

Ubuntu has nice regular predictable releases. It's easy and safe. So
do all the remixes etc. (even if some, like Mint, make upgrading
hard.)

If you want rolling releases, well, there's Debian Testing, and LMDE,
and there's Arch & Gentoo...

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Default User 02-02-2012 09:50 PM

ubuntu rolling release

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 07:52, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On 1 February 2012 03:59, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:25, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 31 January 2012 20:35, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Has anyone heard lately of any effort to make an official rolling

>> > release

>> > version of Ubuntu?* I mean Ubuntu, not LMDE or Debian testing, etc.

>> As the MOTU don't release work-in-progress packages - at least, AFAIK

>> - this is effectively impossible.

>> Some time after release, there is an alpha of the next version, then a

>> beta or 2 & sometimes an RC. That's it.

>> This is insufficient basis upon which to base a rolling release.

> :-(

LMDE is actually pretty good - it's Debian, but without the pain, and

it's got proper Firefox etc. not the rebranded versions. It's also

easier to add the proprietary gubbins that make life bearable without

too much mucking around.

But there are tons of distros out there still. Many offer rolling

releases, if that's what you want. I think some demarcation is a good

thing.

Ubuntu has nice regular predictable releases. It's easy and safe. So

do all the remixes etc. (even if some, like Mint, make upgrading

hard.)

If you want rolling releases, well, there's Debian Testing, and LMDE,

and there's Arch & Gentoo...

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

I would prefer a rolling release, because completely tearing down my existing system and starting over again every 6 months is a real hassle, and just isn't fun any more.*

I checked into LMDE.* Looks okay, but Mint developers are focused on their main, Ubuntu-derived version.* Apparently they are short of personnel.* So timely updates seem to be a problem.*

Debian testing is okay.* But you can't get wireless connectivity during the installation process, which is irritating.* Also, the fonts used in Debian seem visually crude and fuzzy, compared to the default Ubuntu fonts.* There are more things that have to be configured manually.* And that "Jetsons" background is the first thing to go, right after establishing wireless connectivity.*

Ioannis Vranos 02-02-2012 10:03 PM

ubuntu rolling release

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would prefer a rolling release, because completely tearing down my
> existing system and starting over again every 6 months is a real hassle, and
> just isn't fun any more.
>
> I checked into LMDE.* Looks okay, but Mint developers are focused on their
> main, Ubuntu-derived version.* Apparently they are short of personnel.* So
> timely updates seem to be a problem.
>
> Debian testing is okay.* But you can't get wireless connectivity during the
> installation process, which is irritating.* Also, the fonts used in Debian
> seem visually crude and fuzzy, compared to the default Ubuntu fonts.* There
> are more things that have to be configured manually.* And that "Jetsons"
> background is the first thing to go, right after establishing wireless
> connectivity.

Considering Ubuntu as an Enterprise Linux distribution (I am not sure
whether it really is any more), I think you can't get the rolling
stuff you want, by definition.

I think you can get the rolling release you are looking for, from a
hobbyist oriented (which is NOT a derogatory term) distribution, like
Fedora, Debian, Slackware, etc.

From Enterprise Linuxes, I think Scientific Linux maintains a rolling
release, although I am not 100% sure, you will have to check it out.
But keep in mind that, by definition, a rolling Linux release is not
Enterprise-grade Linux release.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

"Cybe R. Wizard" 02-03-2012 01:21 AM

ubuntu rolling release

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:50:58 -0600
Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would prefer a rolling release, because completely tearing down my
> existing system and starting over again every 6 months is a real
> hassle, and just isn't fun any more.

...and so unnecessary. Upgrading is dead simple and almost always
successful.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.

Doug 02-03-2012 01:25 AM

ubuntu rolling release

I would prefer a rolling release, because completely tearing down my
existing system and starting over again every 6 months is a real hassle, and
just isn't fun any more.

I checked into LMDE. Looks okay, but Mint developers are focused on their
main, Ubuntu-derived version. Apparently they are short of personnel. So
timely updates seem to be a problem.

Debian testing is okay. But you can't get wireless connectivity during the
installation process, which is irritating. Also, the fonts used in Debian
seem visually crude and fuzzy, compared to the default Ubuntu fonts. There
are more things that have to be configured manually. And that "Jetsons"
background is the first thing to go, right after establishing wireless
connectivity.

Considering Ubuntu as an Enterprise Linux distribution (I am not sure
whether it really is any more), I think you can't get the rolling
stuff you want, by definition.

I think you can get the rolling release you are looking for, from a
hobbyist oriented (which is NOT a derogatory term) distribution, like
Fedora, Debian, Slackware, etc.

> From Enterprise Linuxes, I think Scientific Linux maintains a rolling
release, although I am not 100% sure, you will have to check it out.
But keep in mind that, by definition, a rolling Linux release is not
Enterprise-grade Linux release.

Take a look at PCLINUXOS. Very nice KDE rendition, also available with
other GUIs.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=10

--doug

Avi Greenbury 02-03-2012 08:08 AM

ubuntu rolling release

Default User wrote:

> I would prefer a rolling release, because completely tearing down my
> existing system and starting over again every 6 months is a real
> hassle, and just isn't fun any more.

Why not simply upgrade in-place, then?

--
Avi

Default User 02-03-2012 07:42 PM

ubuntu rolling release

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 03:08, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:

> I would prefer a rolling release, because completely tearing down my

> existing system and starting over again every 6 months is a real

> hassle, and just isn't fun any more.

Why not simply upgrade in-place, then?

--

Avi

Upgrades have not always worked correctly for me, including from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10.* So I often end up having to reinstall anyway.*