Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM
"C. F. Howlett"

Default Distros/Forks/Buttons/UI's

Have you ever argued with a zealot? *Did you win? *Was it worth the battle?
These thoughts occur as yet another Ubuntu*"crisis" lights up the blogs, forums, and lists.

My $0.02; I like Ubuntu. *I love Ubuntu Studio. *It has provided a consistent and reliable platform for me to experiment, learn and produce in ways that I can't imagine I ever would have achieved with proprietary software. *And it's done it all at no cost to me. *That said, I've also got every official Ubuntu derivative installed in virtual machines AND my laptop also boots Windows 7 and OSX. *

So why is 90% of my computing use on Ubuntu? *Because the benefits far outweigh the problems. *
Freedom matters. *Choice matters. *The day Ubuntu no longer meets my needs, I KNOW I can switch to something else. *Unlike a divorce, no court order will be required, no spousal maintenance need be provided. *Until then, I will happily enjoy tweaking my settings, changing things around, changing them back, breaking/fixing things and putting out content that I've enjoyed creating.

Final thought: there's enough wrong, questionable or deficient to have some fine debates, yet the most lively discussion seems to focus on comparatively trivial*Ubuntu issues that can literally be addresses in seconds. *Don't like left hand buttons? *Switch 'em back! *(Total cost: 60 seconds). *Don't like the Ubuntu default UI? *Switch! *Too much trouble? *Try K/L/Xubuntu!

Don't like ANYTHING about Ubuntu? *Do yourself a favor. *Find an OS flavor that you like, install it and WHEN*it changes, rant away - elsewhere, if you please. *

Like my dad used to say, "It's free advice and worth every penny!"