Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Shashank Ghoti

Default Background processes running on ubantu

Hi All,

I have 5 processes running in the background. What is the command to* see only running background processes (in my case 5 processes)? i have tried through ps.
Can anybody help me to know exact command for that?

Thanks
Shashank

Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 PM

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:45, Shashank Ghoti <shashank.ghoti@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have 5 processes running in the background. What is the command to* see
> only running background processes (in my case 5 processes)? i have tried
> through ps.
> Can anybody help me to know exact command for that?

Assuming you ran them all in the same shell:

jobs

example:

bladernr@klaatu:~/$ for x in `seq 1 5`; do
> sleep 60 &
> done
[1] 12685
[2] 12686
[3] 12687
[4] 12688
[5] 12689
bladernr@klaatu:~/$ jobs
[1] Running sleep 60 &
[2] Running sleep 60 &
[3] Running sleep 60 &
[4]- Running sleep 60 &
[5]+ Running sleep 60 &

AFAIK, it's not possible to background your jobs in one shell and list
them in a different shell, since each shell is it's own shell
environment...

Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Shashank Ghoti
<shashank.ghoti@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have 5 processes running in the background. What is the command to* see
> only running background processes (in my case 5 processes)? i have tried
> through ps.
> Can anybody help me to know exact command for that?

I think you are looking for jobs.

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ujobs.htm

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Shashank Ghoti
> <shashank.ghoti@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have 5 processes running in the background. What is the command to* see
>> only running background processes (in my case 5 processes)? i have tried
>> through ps.
>> Can anybody help me to know exact command for that?
>
> I think you are looking for jobs.
>
> http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ujobs.htm
>
> --
> Ioannis Vranos
>
> http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

To see all your processes, you may type

ps x

or

ps ux

"x" when NOT used with "a": display all Your processes
"x" when used with "a": displays all users processes

"u": displays the users of the processes.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> To see all your processes, you may type
>
> ps x
>
> or
>
> ps ux
>
> "x" when NOT used with "a": display all Your processes
> "x" when used with "a": displays all users processes
>
> "u": displays the users of the processes.

or just ps aux to see whats running in your PC.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 01-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Liam Proven

On 30 January 2012 18:45, Shashank Ghoti <shashank.ghoti@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have 5 processes running in the background. What is the command to* see
> only running background processes (in my case 5 processes)? i have tried
> through ps.
> Can anybody help me to know exact command for that?

I bet you don't. Only 5 would be impossibly low for any modern Unix
system. 50 would be very low. 500 would not be massively unusual, but
200-300 is fairly normal.

Try:

ps aux | less

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884