Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Default Ubuntu Should Be Forked!

http://www.muktware.com/articles/3252/ubuntu-should-be-forked

I have been a long time Ubuntu user, been using it since 2006. I loved
it and have been installing it on user's PC until version 11.04 came out
with Unity. Before you get a wrong impression let me make it clear that
I love to try new things as long as they don't come in between me and my
work.

I started using Unity since its alpha days and am currently running
Ubuntu 12.04 with HUD and KDE 4.8. The reason is simple -- I am curious
and love trying new things. I am also running openSUSE with Gnome 3 to
stay updated with the latest development.

I am not certain if I will continue to use Ubuntu after 12.04 if they
force HUD on me. Mark Shuttleworth has given clear indication that HUD
will ultimately replace the menus. I don't know what he meant by that.
When he introduced Unity has specifically said that this doesn't make
much sense for bigger screens and now we are all stuck with Unity and
Global Menus. We have seem mass exodus from Ubuntu to Linux Mint. Most
of my associates have moved to Linux Mint and DistroWatch is an
indicator of that migration.

That said Unity, Global Menu and HUD have their own loyal users. These
technologies also demonstrate that Canonical is trying something new
with the Linux interface. I appreciate that and I think every
serious/concerned Linux user will appreciate that. As Jo-Erlend
Schinstad wrote that HUD is a great idea and I completely agree with
him, but I may not want that on my computer. I use Ubuntu so that I can
do my work with greater ease, if its coming in my way I would rather
switch distro than waste my time in learning new tricks. Many dedicated
Ubuntu advocates like me who have been advocating Ubuntu for ages may
share the same opinion.

I think it is becoming increasingly important for Canonical to 'fix'
this problem before it becomes gangrene. How to maintain the balance?

My Solution: Fork Ubuntu
Forking is the only solution to satisfy users at either side of the fence:
1. Long time users who want to use Ubuntu to do their work without being
bothered by new UI experiments and changes every six moths

2. Enthusiasts who want to try new UIs every week.

I propose that Canonical make a version X -- UbuntuX (like Debian's Sid)
where they can introduce all their experiments and UI changes. The main
Ubuntu can stay in sync with Gnome 3 development and offer users the
standard GNU/Linux interface so that they don't feel challenges. It will
help Ubuntu to a great extent. Just look at Gnome 3 Shell extensions.
There are so many in so little time. Users will be able to get benefit
from the work done on Gnome Shell without alienating themselves and
dependent on Ubuntu developers who are working hard to iron out the
wrinkles in Unity.

On the other hand the enthusiasts and 'power-users' will be able to
exploit the bleeding-edge features of UbuntuX and take Ubuntu to newer
heights.

This way while Ubuntu will retain (and bring back) old/loyal users and
also attract new users who want ease of use and a familiar interface, it
will also satisfy the enthusiasts.

What do you say?

Read full article here

Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Jared Norris

On 30 January 2012 19:09, Swapnil Bhartiya <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:
> *spam link removed*
>
> Random OT waffling removed
>
> Read full article here
> *spam link removed*
>
> Swapnil Bhartiya

Can everyone PLEASE read the FAQ at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ

As previously stated if you're resorting to posting a thread starting
the subject with OT you are clearly indicating that you are already
aware that your email is not suitable to the list. This alone should
be enough for you to rethink where you are sending your information.
This is a mailing list for technical support questions, not for random
waffling.

Ubuntu is about choice. If you don't like HUD, IF and when it's
incorporated to Unity, please feel free to install a different desktop
environment, there's plenty to choose from.

Unless you have a technical, on topic question for the list please
find refrain for posting links that you obviously have a commercial
interest in trying to obtain as many page hits to boost advertising
revenue.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Sorry, but I simply do not understand the aim of your post. Or put
another way: what is your real agenda by posting this message?

You are using openSUSE because you want to be "updated with the *latest*
*developments*".

A most excellent choice for a solid and well respected distro. (I
understand that Mandrake has gone belly-up. Can someone confirm this,
thanks?) So simply stay with openSUSE and don't waste time downloading
and maintaining something which irks you - ie, Ubuntu.

Alternatively, why not follow the example set by your compatriots and
move over to Mint? I think that you know what Mint is all about so why
are you even asking for "a fork" to Ubuntu?

BC

--
The wise man does at once what a fool does finally.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Sorry, but I simply do not understand the aim of your post. Or put
another way: what is your real agenda by posting this message?

The agenda is to keep users to Ubuntu and stop them from migrating. If
they get a vanilla Gnome Ubuntu they will not bother to switch to LM.

A most excellent choice for a solid and well respected distro. (I
understand that Mandrake has gone belly-up. Can someone confirm this,
thanks?) So simply stay with openSUSE and don't waste time downloading
and maintaining something which irks you - ie, Ubuntu.

I have been an Ubuntu user for 6 years and have installed it on many
user's PCs so it is my concern to address their needs. If it irks me --
I have two options I stop using it or suggest something which will help
me and many like me.

Alternatively, why not follow the example set by your compatriots and
move over to Mint? I think that you know what Mint is all about so why
are you even asking for "a fork" to Ubuntu?

Then you did not get the point of the post -- the point was to create a
Gnome version of Ubuntu to stop migration. I love Ubuntu and want
Canonical to succeed as a commercial Linux player like Red Hat. But this
mass migration is bothering me. Ubuntu has done a great job in the last
decade and I don't want it to get any weak because of some design
changes that is upsetting users.

Note: Internal fork (or any fork) is in fact a great thing.

Swapnil

Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Apologies,

The mail was *not* meant to go to this list. I sincerely apologise for
the inconvenience. Won't happen again.

Swapnil

Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Basil Chupin

Sorry, but I simply do not understand the aim of your post. Or put
another way: what is your real agenda by posting this message?

The agenda is to keep users to Ubuntu and stop them from migrating. If
they get a vanilla Gnome Ubuntu they will not bother to switch to LM.

There is as much chance of this happening as there is of a snowflake
surviving the fires of hell. Get used to it.

understand that Mandrake has gone belly-up. Can someone confirm this,
thanks?) So simply stay with openSUSE and don't waste time downloading
and maintaining something which irks you - ie, Ubuntu.

A most excellent choice for a solid and well respected distro. (I

I have been an Ubuntu user for 6 years and have installed it on many
user's PCs so it is my concern to address their needs. If it irks me
-- I have two options I stop using it or suggest something which will
help me and many like me.

You've got it in one: stop using it or use something else.

Alternatively, why not follow the example set by your compatriots and
move over to Mint? I think that you know what Mint is all about so why
are you even asking for "a fork" to Ubuntu?

Then you did not get the point of the post

Oh, I got the point of your post al-right. It is you who doesn't "get it".

-- the point was to create a Gnome version of Ubuntu to stop migration.

There is such a Gnome version - and you would have read about it in
openSUSE list(s). It's called Cinnamon.

I love Ubuntu and want Canonical to succeed as a commercial Linux
player like Red Hat. But this mass migration is bothering me. Ubuntu
has done a great job in the last decade

Sorry but you have your facts totally wrong.

Ubuntu did not see the light of day till October 2004.

That is only just over 7 years ago.

On the other hand, openSUSE comes from S.u.S.E Linux which started back
in September 1992. (It became openSUSE when Novell bought S.u.S.E Linux.)

Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Swapnil Bhartiya

I love Ubuntu and want Canonical to succeed as a commercial Linux
player like Red Hat. But this mass migration is bothering me. Ubuntu
has done a great job in the last decade

Sorry but you have your facts totally wrong.

Ubuntu did not see the light of day till October 2004.

Last decade mean 2000 - 2010. There is nothing wrong.

That is only just over 7 years ago.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Swapnil Bhartiya

[...]

So, your solution is 'my way or the highway' instead of letting users
voice their opinion as to what they would like in their OS? What's wrong
in suggesting a version of Ubuntu that offers vanilla Gnome Shell
experience? What harm will it do?

Swapnil

Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Jared Norris

Again, OT threads need to be taken elsewhere. Please make sure you
read the FAQ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ There are
plenty of other avenues out there for you to have your say in all
sorts of different matters Ubuntu related and otherwise, this is not
one of them.

This is a technical support list, please remember that. By keeping on
topic we retain the useful people who assist other users who do not
want to be bombarded by OT threads to have to sift through. Should
people continue down the the OT path we, the moderation team, will be
required to start moderating individuals on the list to ensure the
list remains on topic.