Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Thufir Hawat

Default No command 'rvm' found

As per http://beginrescueend.com/rvm/install/ I tried installing RVM:

thufir@tleilax:~$
thufir@tleilax:~$ bash -s stable < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/
wayneeseguin/rvm/master/binscripts/rvm-installer)Downloading RVM from
wayneeseguin branch stable
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 799k 100 799k 0 0 99596 0 0:00:08 0:00:08 --:--:--
142k

Upgrading the RVM installation in /home/thufir/.rvm/
Not adding rvm loading line to /home/thufir/.profile as /etc/
profile.d/rvm.sh already loads rvm.

Upgrade Notes:

* No new notes to display.

# RVM: Shell scripts enabling management of multiple ruby environments.
# RTFM: https://rvm.beginrescueend.com/
# HELP: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=rvm (#rvm on
irc.freenode.net)
# Screencast: http://screencasts.org/episodes/how-to-use-rvm

# In case of any issues read output of 'rvm requirements' and/or 'rvm
notes'

Upgrade of RVM in /home/thufir/.rvm/ is complete.

# thufir,
#
# Thank you for using RVM!
# I sincerely hope that RVM helps to make your life easier and more
enjoyable!!!
#
# ~Wayne

thufir@tleilax:~$
thufir@tleilax:~$ rvm requirements
No command 'rvm' found, but there are 20 similar ones
rvm: command not found
thufir@tleilax:~$
thufir@tleilax:~$ rvm notes
No command 'rvm' found, but there are 20 similar ones
rvm: command not found
thufir@tleilax:~$
thufir@tleilax:~$ nl /etc/lsb-release
1 DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
2 DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
3 DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
4 DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"
thufir@tleilax:~$

Now, I think I've done that right, because this person:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9042093/error-unrecognized-command-
line-argument-pkg-see-rvm-usage

confirmed that this is the correct way. Why doesn't it work?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Avi Greenbury

Thufir Hawat wrote:

> confirmed that this is the correct way. Why doesn't it work?

There's a clue in this line:

> Upgrading the RVM installation in /home/thufir/.rvm/

The RVM executable is probably in that directory somewhere, almost
certainly in one which is not in your $PATH. You can probably do a
search for it by doing

find /home/thufir -name rvm -type f -print

Which will print a list of files (not directories [that's what the
-type f does]) that are named 'rvm' in that directory.

Running it at its full path will likely run it normally, and then you
simply need to add that directory to your $PATH.

I don't know for sure if that works, though, so try that and see what
happens, if it works and you don't know how to add it to your $PATH,
reply and we'll do that. There may well be a more 'proper' way to do
this, but I'd expect it to be pretty clearly documented were that the
case.

--
Avi

Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 AM
Thufir Hawat

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 20:20:11 +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> There's a clue in this line:
>
>> Upgrading the RVM installation in /home/thufir/.rvm/
>
> The RVM executable is probably in that directory somewhere, almost
> certainly in one which is not in your $PATH.

solution per http://www.christopherirish.com/2010/08/25/how-to-install-
rvm-on-ubuntu-10-04/ is:

thufir@tleilax:~/ruby$
thufir@tleilax:~/ruby$ tail /home/thufir/.bashrc
. ~/.bash_aliases
fi

# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ] && ! shopt -oq posix; then
. /etc/bash_completion
fi
[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && source "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"
thufir@tleilax:~/ruby$

and then

. ~/.bashrc

At least I *think* that's what I did, don't quite recall. You're
absolutely correct, path issue.

-Thufir