Old 01-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Thufir Hawat

Default headphones work, speakers broken

I followed the Ubuntu sound guide and fiddled with settings endlessly.
Result: now headphones work, but no sound from speakers.

The background is that this box worked fine in June, but was powered off
until Christmas, at which time I noted that sound was broken. Since then
I've upgraded the OS to 11.04. After going through the Ubuntu sound
page, I noticed that connecting/disconnecting the speakers then caused a
bit of static, which I don't *think* it did before.

Anyhow, now, headphones work. I'm 99% sure that the speakers themselves
are fine. Assuming so, is there a setting or configuration? Since they
use the same jack (don't they?) I don't see what difference it can
possibly make.

thanks,

Thufir

Old 01-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Thufir Hawat

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:45:22 -0500, Sam Sebastian wrote:

> try alsamixer (from the command line) try turing all of the settings up

ok, that worked. Total madness. Generally, Linux is fairly
straightforward, but that's absurd. Too many ways to configure sound.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Ric Moore