Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Alan McKay

Default gnome "Network Connections" woes

I've had this happen before and don't recall how to get out of it.

I am in Gnome and opened the "Network Connections" window, and I don't
have the "root" commands showing. *I hover over some buttons and it
say "Authenticate to Edit" for example for the Edit button. *But
damned if I have any means presented to me to force an authentication

Last time I recall this happening I just found the name of the running
process and just started it manually on the command line with sudo -
so I ran it as root and that worked.

But damned if I can find the name of the running process right now!

How do I get it to let me authenticate?
Or how do I run this from the command line?

Note I don't want to know how to edit files manually from the command
line. Not interested in that. I want to run the GUI from the command
line so I can run it from sudo as root.

Been googling for 20 minutes and nothing is coming up.

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 AM
"compdoc"

> How do I get it to let me authenticate?

Did you replace Unity with gnome? I think that sometimes breaks the dialog
box that should pop up.

Otherwise, try sudo network-manager. I can't be sure if that's the command
because I don't use it myself - never liked it. I often remove it from the
system.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:56 PM
"compdoc"

Sorry, but I was wrong about the command 'network-manager'. I logged onto
all my servers to see if I still had the Network Connections app installed,
and one did.

It runs the command 'nm-connection-editor'. Google shows another command:
'nm-applet'

When I need to know the command that a program icon (launcher) runs, I
right-click the item in the menu and select 'Add this launcher to panel'.
Once the icon appears in the panel at the top of the screen, I right-click
it and get properties. That shows the command used.