Old 01-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Marcus Reid

Default Proper backup and restore -- is there a way?

Hi,

I am trying to find out the best way to make backups of an Ubuntu
machine that allows me to restore to bare metal, boot, and go home.
As an example of what I'm looking for, here is how I do it in FreeBSD
and Solaris:

FreeBSD (ufs):

- Use 'dump' (with -L) to dump consistant snapshots of each filesystem
(no need to shut down databases to ensure consistency, etc.)

- When it comes time to restore, boot off of cd/thumbdrive, 'fdisk
-BI' for the mbr, partition disk and install 2nd stage bootloader
with 'bsdlabel', 'restore' each partition, and reboot. Go home
and go back to sleep.

- I have not tested any backup/restore of ZFS-based FreeBSD machines.

Solaris (zfs):

- make a zfs replication stream of snapshots of all partitions in the
root pool with 'zfs snapshot -r rpool@now', then 'zfs send -R
rpool@now > backupfile'. Do the same for other pools, if any, being
backed up.

- Netboot the machine to a jumpstart server or boot off of install
media, and use the procedure documented at:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19963-01/html/821-1448/ghzvz.html#ghzur

Now, with this Ubuntu box (ext4) I'm seeing a couple of things that I
would like to find solutions for:

- lack of snapshots prevents dumping of an active filesystem without
corrupting active databases, etc.

- how does one go about restoring to bare metal with Ubuntu? Boot
off of install media, partition, and lay down dumps? Are there
special considerations for the /dev/md0 /boot partition and the
device mapper partitions? For example, here is what I've got to
work with:

mreid@socit:~$ mount
/dev/mapper/socit-root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
/dev/md0 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
/dev/mapper/socit-tmp on /tmp type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
/dev/mapper/socit-home on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime)
/dev/mapper/socit-var on /var type ext4 (rw)

I have asked around a bit and have not seen much in the way of peoples
actual methods, so I would love to hear what you do when faced with a
dead system that needs to be restored.

Thanks,

Marcus

Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 AM
"W. Scott Lockwood III"

Have you looked at Bacula at all?

--
W. Scott Lockwood III

Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Marcus Reid

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:44:59PM -0600, W. Scott Lockwood III wrote:
> [...]

I have now It's a full system with all of the baggage and overhead
that comes along with that. I just want some files that I can use to
restore, and I'd rather do it myself rather than depending on some
software to know how to do the bare-metal restore.

I'd like to retract the snapshot requirement though, as I don't think
there is a way to do snapshots in Linux without getting really nasty
with LVM and I'd rather just back the databases up separately.

Marcus

Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 AM
"W. Scott Lockwood III"

That's not there yet for Linux, that I am aware. You could periodically
reboot into a live environment and clone the drive, or make an image. That's
about it. Bacula works well for what it is.

--
W. Scott Lockwood III

Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

Look at backuppc. It's in the repositories and makes a complete backup
of all file systems you indicate. It is very complete, letting you
backup all systems on a network even systems that are not always on the
network (laptops, etc.). It works completely in the background and
automatically. It's interface is browser oriented.
I use it now for over 2 years and it saved me when my main HD
unexpectedly crashed and I could restore all my documents, sheetmusic,
recorded music, etc. by simply restoring my home directory. If I hadn't
had backuppc work of over 7 years had been lost!.
I don't know if you can make snapshots with it as on a new HD I simple
reinstall ubuntu and let backuppc restore the most important directories
(/home,/etc).
Of course you must use an external HD to store the backups and it is
very handy to have a list of most used applications that are not
automatically installed when installing a new OS.

Just my advice,
Joep

Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Colin Law

On 26 January 2012 05:39, Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find out the best way to make backups of an Ubuntu
> machine that allows me to restore to bare metal, boot, and go home.

I use clonezilla, but you have to shut down the system to do the
clone. For me that is not an issue, but it may not be suitable for
your needs.

Colin

Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find out the best way to make backups of an Ubuntu
> machine that allows me to restore to bare metal, boot, and go home.
> As an example of what I'm looking for, here is how I do it in FreeBSD
> and Solaris:
>
> FreeBSD (ufs):
>
> *- Use 'dump' (with -L) to dump consistant snapshots of each filesystem
> * *(no need to shut down databases to ensure consistency, etc.)
>
> *- When it comes time to restore, boot off of cd/thumbdrive, 'fdisk
> * *-BI' for the mbr, partition disk and install 2nd stage bootloader
> * *with 'bsdlabel', 'restore' each partition, and reboot. *Go home
> * *and go back to sleep.
>
> *- I have not tested any backup/restore of ZFS-based FreeBSD machines.
>
> Solaris (zfs):
>
> *- make a zfs replication stream of snapshots of all partitions in the
> * *root pool with 'zfs snapshot -r rpool@now', then 'zfs send -R
> * *rpool@now > backupfile'. *Do the same for other pools, if any, being
> * *backed up.
>
> *- Netboot the machine to a jumpstart server or boot off of install
> * *media, and use the procedure documented at:
>
> * * *http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19963-01/html/821-1448/ghzvz.html#ghzur
>
> Now, with this Ubuntu box (ext4) I'm seeing a couple of things that I
> would like to find solutions for:
>
> *- lack of snapshots prevents dumping of an active filesystem without
> * *corrupting active databases, etc.
>
> *- how does one go about restoring to bare metal with Ubuntu? *Boot
> * *off of install media, partition, and lay down dumps? *Are there
> * *special considerations for the /dev/md0 /boot partition and the
> * *device mapper partitions? *For example, here is what I've got to
> * *work with:
>
> * * * *mreid@socit:~$ mount
> * * * */dev/mapper/socit-root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
> * * * *proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> * * * *none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> * * * *none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
> * * * *none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
> * * * *none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
> * * * *none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
> * * * *none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
> * * * *none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
> * * * *none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
> * * * *none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> * * * *none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
> * * * */dev/md0 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
> * * * */dev/mapper/socit-tmp on /tmp type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
> * * * */dev/mapper/socit-home on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime)
> * * * */dev/mapper/socit-var on /var type ext4 (rw)
>
> I have asked around a bit and have not seen much in the way of peoples
> actual methods, so I would love to hear what you do when faced with a
> dead system that needs to be restored.

I do not know much abojut these stuff, however I have seen that ZFS is
available in Ubuntu, with the zfs-fuse package.

A newer version is available here:

http://zfs-fuse.net

I do not know how ready for prime time it is though.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Liam Proven

On 26 January 2012 05:39, Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find out the best way to make backups of an Ubuntu
> machine that allows me to restore to bare metal, boot, and go home.
> As an example of what I'm looking for, here is how I do it in FreeBSD
> and Solaris:

I cannot really advise directly - I only do offline backups with tools
such as Clonezilla, G4L, fsarchiver & partclone - but "dump" is
available in Linux and I've used it. If it is something you're used
to, it *is* an option.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 AM
"Juan R. de Silva"

> I have asked around a bit and have not seen much in the way of peoples
> actual methods, so I would love to hear what you do when faced with a
> dead system that needs to be restored.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcus

Take a look at this http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

I backup my system this way scheduled with cron and find it good enough
for me. I wonder if it would be in any help to you?

And I use also Clonezilla for periodical off-line backup too.