Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Thufir Hawat

Default update ruby

How do I update to ruby 1.9.1?

thufir@tleilax:~/Desktop/ruby/1$
thufir@tleilax:~/Desktop/ruby/1$ aptitude search ruby1.9.1-full
i ruby1.9.1-full - Ruby 1.9.1 full
installation
thufir@tleilax:~/Desktop/ruby/1$
thufir@tleilax:~/Desktop/ruby/1$ ruby -v
thufir@tleilax:~/Desktop/ruby/1$
thufir@tleilax:~/Desktop/ruby/1$ sudo aptitude remove ruby1.8.7
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "ruby1.8.7"
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "ruby1.8.7"
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.

thufir@tleilax:~/Desktop/ruby/1$
thufir@tleilax:~/Desktop/ruby/1$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"
thufir@tleilax:~/Desktop/ruby/1$

ruby1.9.1-full is installed, but not being used. Why?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Colin Law

On 24 January 2012 09:59, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I update to ruby 1.9.1?

Don't use 1.9.1 as it has some problems. Use 1.8.7 or 1.9.2, or
possibly 1.9.3 though it is still a bit new for me. The best way to
do this is to install rvm, then you can easily install and use
whichever version(s) of ruby and rails you want. Really, this is the
best way to do it.

Colin

Old 01-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Colin Law

On 24 January 2012 10:08, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 24 January 2012 09:59, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How do I update to ruby 1.9.1?
>
> Don't use 1.9.1 as it has some problems. *Use 1.8.7 or 1.9.2, or
> possibly 1.9.3 though it is still a bit new for me. *The best way to
> do this is to install rvm, then you can easily install and use
> whichever version(s) of ruby and rails you want. *Really, this is the
> best way to do it.

I have just realised that this post is on the Ubuntu list not the Ruby
on Rails list. However whether you are using Rails or not, if you are
using gems then the argument for rvm still applies I believe.

Colin

--
gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Thufir Hawat

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:10:49 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> I have just realised that this post is on the Ubuntu list not the Ruby
> on Rails list. However whether you are using Rails or not, if you are
> using gems then the argument for rvm still applies I believe.
>
> Colin

no worries. I saw rvm but wasn't sure about using it, I like to keep
within the package manager where possible. In fact, one reason I
switched from Fedora to Ubuntu was the way each (used to) handle the Sun
JVM. I suppose the ?jpackage? or whatever fedora used to have has its
place. Too bad.

Thanks for the info

Old 01-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Colin Law

On 24 January 2012 10:44, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:10:49 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>

>> I have just realised that this post is on the Ubuntu list not the Ruby
>> on Rails list. *However whether you are using Rails or not, if you are
>> using gems then the argument for rvm still applies I believe.
>>
>> Colin
>

> no worries. I saw rvm but wasn't sure about using it, I like to keep
> within the package manager where possible. *In fact, one reason I
> switched from Fedora to Ubuntu was the way each (used to) handle the Sun
> JVM. *I suppose the ?jpackage? or whatever fedora used to have has its
> place. *Too bad.
>
> Thanks for the info

I think using ruby with gems is one of the very few instances where
using the repositories is not the best plan.

Colin