Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Bill Stanley

Default Backing up files on a badly malware infested computer.

Maybe you people might be able to figure out something. It concerns
installing unbuntu on a very badly malware infested Windows machine.
Also note that I don't fix computers as my job. I'm doing this as a
favor for my sister and at this point, fixing this has become a personal
challenge. I'm retired so time is not a problem, otherwise I wouldn't
take this challenge. (I'm not going to let this beat me!) Now the problem

On badly infested computers I usually just back up the data files and
reinstall the OS. Since she misplaced the original Windows disks we
agreed to give Linux a try. So far, no problems? WRONG! I can't back
up the data files no matter how hard I try. I think I'm battling a
rootkit of some sort (maybe more than one.) The data files do not seem
to have been corrupted.

My first try was to do something simple. I have more than enough disk
space on my computer so I tried transferring the data files to my
computer. I can't get a network connection. I tried to establish a
connection both ways and failed.

My second try was to use the CD-ROM disk burner that is on her computer.
I can't even transfer the data files onto CR-ROM.

My third attempt was to try booting Linux on her computer using an CD
install disk. I figured that surely Linux would be able to get past the
problem, but I can't boot (and, yes, I made sure the boot settings in
the BIOS were right) I've checked the disk using other computers and
it's good.

Is there anything I missed? I am at the point were I'm thinking about
of installing her hard as the slave drive on my old computer. I will
then boot to Linux on my master HD and then get the data files off.

Once I have the data files off, I will COMPLETELY wipe her HD ,
reinstall it in her computer and proceed as if it was a new install.

Comments anyone? (Other than I am insane which I know that I probably am!)

Bill Stanley

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Johnny

[...]

As long as your old PC is using Windows that sounds the best to me.
Good Luck and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Ric Moore