Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

Default Question about Wireless

Em Tuesday 27 November 2007 07:28:09 Karl Auer escreveu:
> On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 14:42 +0530, AlgoMantra wrote:
> > I have tried the system on someone else's
> > open network, but I couldn't use it for some reason! It was just a
> > freak signal in the neighbouhood.
>
> MAC filtering will look like that. Not very secure though.

Why? Can it be bypassed?

FF

Old 11-27-2007, 01:41 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Nov 27, 2007 2:20 PM, Felipe Figueiredo <philsf79@gmail.com> wrote:
> Em Tuesday 27 November 2007 07:28:09 Karl Auer escreveu:
> > On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 14:42 +0530, AlgoMantra wrote:
> > > I have tried the system on someone else's
> > > open network, but I couldn't use it for some reason! It was just a
> > > freak signal in the neighbouhood.
> >
> > MAC filtering will look like that. Not very secure though.
>
> Why? Can it be bypassed?

Easily. It's trivial to change the MAC address of a network card.

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 11-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Nils Kassube

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> Em Tuesday 27 November 2007 07:28:09 Karl Auer escreveu:
> > On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 14:42 +0530, AlgoMantra wrote:
> > > I have tried the system on someone else's
> > > open network, but I couldn't use it for some reason! It was just a
> > > freak signal in the neighbouhood.
> >
> > MAC filtering will look like that. Not very secure though.
>
> Why? Can it be bypassed?

MAC filtering means that the AP only talks to a known set of MAC
addresses. It isn't secure because you can set some (maybe all?) wireless
cards to arbitrary MAC addresses - but there are problems doing it. 1) It
may be illegal. 2) If the real owner of that MAC address is active there
will be lots of collisions and possibly both clients can't do anything
usefull. Anyway, if you want to have a rather secure wireless network,
use WPA/WPA2.

Nils