-   -   I'm getting acroread instead of evince even though it says it's going to use evince (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/623909-im-getting-acroread-instead-evince-even-though-says-its-going-use-evince.html)

Chris Green 01-22-2012 02:50 PM

I'm getting acroread instead of evince even though it says it's going to use evince

When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
(default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
acroread.

/usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.

How do I get Firefox to use evince?

--
Chris Green

Colin Law 01-22-2012 03:01 PM

On 22 January 2012 15:50, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
> it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
> (default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
> acroread.
>
> /usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.
>
> How do I get Firefox to use evince?

What happens if you double click a pdf file in nautilus?

In Firefox Edit > Preferences > Applications what does it have against
pdf document?

Colin

Johnny 01-22-2012 03:04 PM

I'm getting acroread instead of evince even though it says it's going to use evince

When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
(default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
acroread.

/usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.

How do I get Firefox to use evince?

I would just remove acroread in software center then make shore evince
is installed.

Good Luck and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

Chris Green 01-22-2012 04:31 PM

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 04:01:23PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 22 January 2012 15:50, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
> > it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
> > (default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
> > acroread.
> >
> > /usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.
> >
> > How do I get Firefox to use evince?
>
> What happens if you double click a pdf file in nautilus?

I never do that! :-) I'll just check though .....

I get acroread again.

> In Firefox Edit > Preferences > Applications what does it have against
> pdf document?

It says "Always ask"

--
Chris Green

Chris Green 01-22-2012 04:35 PM

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:04:33AM -0500, Johnny wrote:
> On 01/22/2012 10:50 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> >When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
> >it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
> >(default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
> >acroread.
> >
> >/usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.
> >
> >How do I get Firefox to use evince?
> >
> I would just remove acroread in software center then make shore
> evince is installed.

I want acroread though, it sometimes offers facilities that evince
doesn't.

--
Chris Green

Colin Law 01-22-2012 04:41 PM

On 22 January 2012 17:31, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 04:01:23PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 22 January 2012 15:50, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> > When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
>> > it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
>> > (default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
>> > acroread.
>> >
>> > /usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.
>> >
>> > How do I get Firefox to use evince?
>>
>> What happens if you double click a pdf file in nautilus?
>>
> I never do that! *:-) * I'll just check though .....
>
> I get acroread again.

In nautilus right click a pdf file and select properties, on the Open
With tab select evince and click Set As Default. Then check that
evince is used in nautilus when you double click a different pdf file.
Assuming that now works try FF again.

Colin

Chris Green 01-22-2012 04:57 PM

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 05:41:34PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 22 January 2012 17:31, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> >> What happens if you double click a pdf file in nautilus?
> >>
> > I never do that! *:-) * I'll just check though .....
> >
> > I get acroread again.
>
> In nautilus right click a pdf file and select properties, on the Open
> With tab select evince and click Set As Default. Then check that
> evince is used in nautilus when you double click a different pdf file.
> Assuming that now works try FF again.

Yes, that's fixed it, thanks. I wonder why Firefox was saying it would
open it with evince when the default was acroread, oh well.

--
Chris Green

Jonesy 01-22-2012 05:24 PM

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:57:39 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> Yes, that's fixed it, thanks. I wonder why Firefox was saying it
> would open it with evince when the default was acroread, oh well.

Probably because the web site does not send the proper
headers when the link is clicked on.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Liam Proven 01-22-2012 06:42 PM

I'm getting acroread instead of evince even though it says it's going to use evince

On 22 January 2012 15:50, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
> it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
> (default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
> acroread.
>
> /usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.
>
> How do I get Firefox to use evince?

Are pages opening inside Firefox or is it spawning a new separate process?

Adobe Reader has a plugin; Evince doesn't. If Acroread is installed,
Firefox will use the plugin rather than an external program - *I
believe.*

If you disable or remove the plugin, then it will be down to 2
external programs and the mechanism of choosing which, or setting the
default, should work.

Or, install Mozplugger, which turns Evince into a plugin too.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Ric Moore 01-23-2012 07:12 AM

On 01/22/2012 12:35 PM, Chris Green wrote:

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:04:33AM -0500, Johnny wrote:

On 01/22/2012 10:50 AM, Chris Green wrote:

When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
(default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
acroread.

/usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.

How do I get Firefox to use evince?

I would just remove acroread in software center then make shore
evince is installed.

I want acroread though, it sometimes offers facilities that evince
doesn't.

Maybe if you re-installed evince it would take precedence? Ric