Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Chris Green

Default I'm getting acroread instead of evince even though it says it's going to use evince

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 07:42:07PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 22 January 2012 15:50, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
> > it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
> > (default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
> > acroread.
> >
> > /usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.
> >
> > How do I get Firefox to use evince?
>
> Are pages opening inside Firefox or is it spawning a new separate process?
>
> Adobe Reader has a plugin; Evince doesn't. If Acroread is installed,
> Firefox will use the plugin rather than an external program - *I
> believe.*

I've turned the plugin off, for two reasons, firstly I prefer the PDF to
appear in a separate window and secondly it quite often doesn't work and
simply produces a blank (often black) window in Firefox.

> If you disable or remove the plugin, then it will be down to 2
> external programs and the mechanism of choosing which, or setting the
> default, should work.

That was the problem, although Firefox seemed to think that evince was
still the default, it wasn't.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Liam Proven

On 23 January 2012 10:44, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 07:42:07PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 22 January 2012 15:50, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> > When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
>> > it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
>> > (default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
>> > acroread.
>> >
>> > /usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.
>> >
>> > How do I get Firefox to use evince?
>>
>> Are pages opening inside Firefox or is it spawning a new separate process?
>>
>> Adobe Reader has a plugin; Evince doesn't. If Acroread is installed,
>> Firefox will use the plugin rather than an external program - *I
>> believe.*
>>
> I've turned the plugin off,

Ah. I think you had not mentioned that before?

> for two reasons, firstly I prefer the PDF to
> appear in a separate window

That seems odd to me, but OK.

> and secondly it quite often doesn't work and
> simply produces a blank (often black) window in Firefox.

That seems strange and might suggest that you have a separate problem.

>> If you disable or remove the plugin, then it will be down to 2
>> external programs and the mechanism of choosing which, or setting the
>> default, should work.
>>
> That was the problem, although Firefox seemed to think that evince was
> still the default, it wasn't.

The setting is a GNOME one and Firefox is not a native GNOME app, so
perhaps it was reading the wrong setting or something...?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 01/23/2012 05:57 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

[...]

I see this on a regular basis. I could usually view 1 or2 pdf's and
then I would get the black screen. Restarting Firefox would allow me to
view another couple but then the black screen again. After a lot of
googling and finding no good answers my solution was the same as the OP's.

Regards, Jim

Old 01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Chris Green

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 08:35:14AM -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 01/23/2012 05:57 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> >>I've turned the plugin off,
> >
> >Ah. I think you had not mentioned that before?
> >
> >>for two reasons, firstly I prefer the PDF to
> >>appear in a separate window
> >
> >That seems odd to me, but OK.
> >
> >>and secondly it quite often doesn't work and
> >>simply produces a blank (often black) window in Firefox.
> >
> >That seems strange and might suggest that you have a separate problem.
>
> I see this on a regular basis. I could usually view 1 or2 pdf's and
> then I would get the black screen. Restarting Firefox would allow
> me to view another couple but then the black screen again. After a
> lot of googling and finding no good answers my solution was the same
> as the OP's.

I hadn't diagnosed it as far as you in that I hadn't noticed that
restarting Firefox fixed the problem (temporarily).

However I really prefer to get the PDF in a separate window because,
among other things, nearly all PDF files are portrait mode and A4'ish
sort of proportions and that really doesn't fit well in my Firefox
window. With it in a separate window I can slip it off to the side and
keep it in view while searching around for other stuff in Firefox.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Ric Moore

On 01/23/2012 09:35 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:

On 01/23/2012 05:57 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

That seems strange and might suggest that you have a separate problem.

I see this on a regular basis. I could usually view 1 or2 pdf's and then
I would get the black screen. Restarting Firefox would allow me to view
another couple but then the black screen again. After a lot of googling
and finding no good answers my solution was the same as the OP's.

I've experienced and done the very same thing. Ric