FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Johnny Rosenberg
 
Default ubuntuone-launch seems to freeze at startup

Ubuntu 10.10 running Gnome, Compiz and Emerald.


One day a few months ago I found that the Ubuntu one sync thing didn't
work at all. The folder right click menu in Nautilus didn't view any
Ubuntu One options and the Ubuntu One synchronisation seemed to be
broken.
Then I found that there was no ubuntuone-syncdaemon running, however
ubuntuone-launch was still running.

The obvious workaround is of course to kill ubuntuone-launch and then
restart it again, which works flawlessly every time, but obviously it
would be better to solve the problem instead of working around it.

Any ideas where to start? Anyone else experience this? If so, maybe
this is a bug? But if it is, someone else would probably already have
found it, I suppose…


Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default ubuntuone-launch seems to freeze at startup

2012/1/22 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>
>
> Ubuntu 10.10 running Gnome, Compiz and Emerald.
>
>
> One day a few months ago I found that the Ubuntu one sync thing didn't
> work at all. The folder right click menu in Nautilus didn't view any
> Ubuntu One options and the Ubuntu One synchronisation seemed to be
> broken.
> Then I found that there was no ubuntuone-syncdaemon running, however
> ubuntuone-launch was still running.
>
> The obvious workaround is of course to kill ubuntuone-launch and then
> restart it again, which works flawlessly every time, but obviously it
> would be better to solve the problem instead of working around it.
>
> Any ideas where to start? Anyone else experience this? If so, maybe
> this is a bug? But if it is, someone else would probably already have
> found it, I suppose…
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

Perhaps you could try to reinstall ubuntuone as in

https://one.ubuntu.com/help/faq/how-do-i-completely-remove-and-reinstall-ubuntu-one/

and check if it works.

Lately I couldn't make it work in my own 10.10 and reluctantly moved to 11.10.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation
System and Applications
GNU/Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Johnny Rosenberg
 
Default ubuntuone-launch seems to freeze at startup

2012/1/23 Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/22 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>
>>
>> Ubuntu 10.10 running Gnome, Compiz and Emerald.
>>
>>
>> One day a few months ago I found that the Ubuntu one sync thing didn't
>> work at all. The folder right click menu in Nautilus didn't view any
>> Ubuntu One options and the Ubuntu One synchronisation seemed to be
>> broken.
>> Then I found that there was no ubuntuone-syncdaemon running, however
>> ubuntuone-launch was still running.
>>
>> The obvious workaround is of course to kill ubuntuone-launch and then
>> restart it again, which works flawlessly every time, but obviously it
>> would be better to solve the problem instead of working around it.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start? Anyone else experience this? If so, maybe
>> this is a bug? But if it is, someone else would probably already have
>> found it, I suppose…
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>
> Perhaps you could try to reinstall ubuntuone as in
>
> https://one.ubuntu.com/help/faq/how-do-i-completely-remove-and-reinstall-ubuntu-one/
>
> and check if it works.
>
> Lately I couldn't make it work in my own 10.10 and reluctantly moved to 11.10.
>
> L.
>

Well, I have 11.10 on another machine (Eee PC 900) and I really don't
like it at all, so I am still trying to figure out what to install
instead. Maybe the 12.04 will be good enough, so I'll wait for it
before doing anything.

I'll take a look at that link anyway, thanks.


Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default ubuntuone-launch seems to freeze at startup

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/23 Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>:
>> 2012/1/22 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>
>>>
>>> Ubuntu 10.10 running Gnome, Compiz and Emerald.
>>>
>>>
>>> One day a few months ago I found that the Ubuntu one sync thing didn't
>>> work at all. The folder right click menu in Nautilus didn't view any
>>> Ubuntu One options and the Ubuntu One synchronisation seemed to be
>>> broken.
>>> Then I found that there was no ubuntuone-syncdaemon running, however
>>> ubuntuone-launch was still running.
>>>
>>>
>>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>
>> Perhaps you could try to reinstall ubuntuone as in
>>
>> https://one.ubuntu.com/help/faq/how-do-i-completely-remove-and-reinstall-ubuntu-one/
>>
>> and check if it works.
>>
>> Lately I couldn't make it work in my own 10.10 and reluctantly moved to 11.10.
>>
>> L.
>>
>
> Well, I have 11.10 on another machine (Eee PC 900) and I really don't
> like it at all, so I am still trying to figure out what to install
> instead. Maybe the 12.04 will be good enough, so I'll wait for it
> before doing anything.
>
> I'll take a look at that link anyway, thanks.
>
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

I'm (also) running 11.10 with the Gnome 3 Classic desktop, very useful
at the not so few moments when I'm fed up with Unity. It looks very
similar to 10.10 and it is up to date.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation
System and Applications
GNU/Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM
NoOp
 
Default ubuntuone-launch seems to freeze at startup

On 01/22/2012 02:35 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Ubuntu 10.10 running Gnome, Compiz and Emerald.
>
>
> One day a few months ago I found that the Ubuntu one sync thing didn't
> work at all. The folder right click menu in Nautilus didn't view any
> Ubuntu One options and the Ubuntu One synchronisation seemed to be
> broken.
> Then I found that there was no ubuntuone-syncdaemon running, however
> ubuntuone-launch was still running.
>
> The obvious workaround is of course to kill ubuntuone-launch and then
> restart it again, which works flawlessly every time, but obviously it
> would be better to solve the problem instead of working around it.
>
> Any ideas where to start? Anyone else experience this? If so, maybe
> this is a bug? But if it is, someone else would probably already have
> found it, I suppose…
...

Have a look through here:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ubuntuone-launch&x=0&y=0>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client
[note: put 'ubuntu-launch' in the search box & that will narrow the bugs
down to 12]


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default ubuntuone-launch seems to freeze at startup

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 01/22/2012 02:35 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> Ubuntu 10.10 running Gnome, Compiz and Emerald.
>>
>>
>> One day a few months ago I found that the Ubuntu one sync thing didn't
>> work at all. The folder right click menu in Nautilus didn't view any
>> Ubuntu One options and the Ubuntu One synchronisation seemed to be
>> broken.
>> Then I found that there was no ubuntuone-syncdaemon running, however
>> ubuntuone-launch was still running.
>>
>> The obvious workaround is of course to kill ubuntuone-launch and then
>> restart it again, which works flawlessly every time, but obviously it
>> would be better to solve the problem instead of working around it.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start? Anyone else experience this? If so, maybe
>> this is a bug? But if it is, someone else would probably already have
>> found it, I suppose…
> ...
>
> Have a look through here:
> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ubuntuone-launch&x=0&y=0>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client
> [note: put 'ubuntu-launch' in the search box & that will narrow the bugs
> down to 12

While Dropbox "simply works" I wonder why there are

"3660 pages matching "ubuntuone-launch bug"

in Launchpad.net.

Mine (ubuntuone), at 11.10, has to be manually started after every
boot. Anyway, since I get 5GB for free, can't complain too much...

(Glad to see you around, NoOp)

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation
System and Applications
GNU/Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Johnny Rosenberg
 
Default ubuntuone-launch seems to freeze at startup

2012/1/24 Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 01/22/2012 02:35 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>> Ubuntu 10.10 running Gnome, Compiz and Emerald.
>>>
>>>
>>> One day a few months ago I found that the Ubuntu one sync thing didn't
>>> work at all. The folder right click menu in Nautilus didn't view any
>>> Ubuntu One options and the Ubuntu One synchronisation seemed to be
>>> broken.
>>> Then I found that there was no ubuntuone-syncdaemon running, however
>>> ubuntuone-launch was still running.
>>>
>>> The obvious workaround is of course to kill ubuntuone-launch and then
>>> restart it again, which works flawlessly every time, but obviously it
>>> would be better to solve the problem instead of working around it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas where to start? Anyone else experience this? If so, maybe
>>> this is a bug? But if it is, someone else would probably already have
>>> found it, I suppose…
>> ...
>>
>> Have a look through here:
>> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ubuntuone-launch&x=0&y=0>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client
>> [note: put 'ubuntu-launch' in the search box & that will narrow the bugs
>> down to 12
>
> While Dropbox "simply works" I wonder why there are
>
> "3660 pages matching "ubuntuone-launch bug"
>
> in Launchpad.net.
>
> Mine (ubuntuone), at 11.10, has to be manually started after every
> boot. Anyway, since I get 5GB for free, can't complain too much...

On my second computer (an EeePC 900 with Ubuntu 11.10) Ubuntu One
always worked and still works flawlessly, it's just my Ubuntu 10.10
machine that has those problems. And the problem does only seem to be
after startup. If I kill ubuntuone-launch and then start it again, it
work flawlessly there too.

Maybe fissling with the program start order at startup would fix the
problem. Before doing anything else I will try the following, I think:
Remove ubuntuone-launch from gnome-session-properties.
Create a script that starts ubuntuone-launch after a one minute (or so) delay.
Add the new script to gnome-session-properties.

If this works, it seems like ubuntuone-launch is interfering with
something, right?


Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

>
> (Glad to see you around, NoOp)
>
> --
> Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
> Open Source Implementation
> System and Applications
> GNU/Linux
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Johnny Rosenberg
 
Default ubuntuone-launch seems to freeze at startup

2012/1/24 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/24 Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> On 01/22/2012 02:35 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>>> Ubuntu 10.10 running Gnome, Compiz and Emerald.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> One day a few months ago I found that the Ubuntu one sync thing didn't
>>>> work at all. The folder right click menu in Nautilus didn't view any
>>>> Ubuntu One options and the Ubuntu One synchronisation seemed to be
>>>> broken.
>>>> Then I found that there was no ubuntuone-syncdaemon running, however
>>>> ubuntuone-launch was still running.
>>>>
>>>> The obvious workaround is of course to kill ubuntuone-launch and then
>>>> restart it again, which works flawlessly every time, but obviously it
>>>> would be better to solve the problem instead of working around it.
>>>>
>>>> Any ideas where to start? Anyone else experience this? If so, maybe
>>>> this is a bug? But if it is, someone else would probably already have
>>>> found it, I suppose…
>>> ...
>>>
>>> Have a look through here:
>>> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ubuntuone-launch&x=0&y=0>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client
>>> [note: put 'ubuntu-launch' in the search box & that will narrow the bugs
>>> down to 12
>>
>> While Dropbox "simply works" I wonder why there are
>>
>> "3660 pages matching "ubuntuone-launch bug"
>>
>> in Launchpad.net.
>>
>> Mine (ubuntuone), at 11.10, has to be manually started after every
>> boot. Anyway, since I get 5GB for free, can't complain too much...
>
> On my second computer (an EeePC 900 with Ubuntu 11.10) Ubuntu One
> always worked and still works flawlessly, it's just my Ubuntu 10.10
> machine that has those problems. And the problem does only seem to be
> after startup. If I kill ubuntuone-launch and then start it again, it
> work flawlessly there too.
>
> Maybe fissling with the program start order at startup would fix the
> problem. Before doing anything else I will try the following, I think:
> Remove ubuntuone-launch from gnome-session-properties.
> Create a script that starts ubuntuone-launch after a one minute (or so) delay.
> Add the new script to gnome-session-properties.
>
> If this works, it seems like ubuntuone-launch is interfering with
> something, right?
>
>
> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

I know, it's almost a month since I wrote something in this thread.
Anyway, today I finally tried to do something about this.

What I did so far, was that I removed Ubuntu One from the
gnome-session-properties and started it manually in the
gnome-terminal:
ubuntuone-launch &
exit

Now, finally, I created a (very) simple script and added it to the
gnome-session-properties.
The script looks (currently) like this:

<Code starts here>
#!/bin/bash

sleep 300
ubuntuone-launch &
zenity --info
--title="Ubuntu One"
--text="Ubuntu One-synken har startats"
--timeout=20 &


while true; do
sleep 290
ulPID=$(ps aux | grep ubuntuone-launch | grep -v grep |
awk '{print $2}')
usPID=$(ps aux | grep ubuntuone-syncdaemon | grep -v grep |
awk '{print $2}')

if [[ $ulPID || ! $usPID ]]; then # The ubuntuone-launch process
probably froze.
zenity --info
--title="Omstart"
--text="Ubuntu One-synken startas om."
--timeout=20 &
if [[ $ulPID ]]; then
kill $ulPID
fi
sleep 10
ubuntuone-launch &
else
sleep 10
fi
done
<End of code>

I'm running it right now and it seems to work perfectly. So far it
seems that the restart loop is not necessary, but I'll keep it for a
while. I'm probably going to remove those zenity dialogues when I've
tested this for a month or so. At the moment I just want to see if it
all works out.

As you can see it wait for 300 seconds (5 minutes) before it
ubuntu-launch is started. The original Ubuntu One launcher is of
course removed from the gnome-session-properties. After a while the
ubuntu-lanch process is finished and there should be a process called
ubuntuone-syncdaemon.
A delay of 290 seconds after that the launcher was started, the script
checks for ubuntu-launch and ubuntu-syncdaemon. If ubuntu-launch is
still running it probably froze. Same thing if ubuntu-syncdaemon is
not running. In either of these cases, ubuntu-launch is restarted
after the old ubuntu-launch process is killed, if there is one.

So, as I said, I'm testing it right now, hopefully it works.


Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org