Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Bill Stanley

Default Mounting an external (USB) DVD Drive

I'm having problems getting VCL to use an external, (USB) DVD drive. In
fact, I tried to open the dvd drive with brassero just to see if it
could even be seen. The problem seems to be that the USB device is not
mounted. How do I get Unbuntu to automatically mount USB drives or at
least list them in the places menu list so they can be seen?

Bill Stanley

Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Ralph

On January 21, 2012 10:02:17 AM Bill Stanley wrote:
> I'm having problems getting VCL to use an external, (USB) DVD drive. In
> fact, I tried to open the dvd drive with brassero just to see if it
> could even be seen. The problem seems to be that the USB device is not
> mounted. How do I get Unbuntu to automatically mount USB drives or at
> least list them in the places menu list so they can be seen?
>
> Bill Stanley

I use ubuntu 11.10 (AMD64) and it works without problem using an external USB
drive. It is not visible until a CD or DVD is inserted at which time I am
asked what I want to do with the disc.

Ralph Puncher

Old 01-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> On January 21, 2012 10:02:17 AM Bill Stanley wrote:
> > I'm having problems getting VCL to use an external, (USB) DVD drive. In
> > fact, I tried to open the dvd drive with brassero just to see if it
> > could even be seen. The problem seems to be that the USB device is not
> > mounted. How do I get Unbuntu to automatically mount USB drives or at
> > least list them in the places menu list so they can be seen?
> >

> I use ubuntu 11.10 (AMD64) and it works without problem using an external USB
> drive. It is not visible until a CD or DVD is inserted at which time I am
> asked what I want to do with the disc.

So have OP inserted the VCD/DVD? Try using the Disk Utility software to mount.

Regards

Koh Choon Lin

Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Bill Stanley

< snip >
> > I use ubuntu 11.10 (AMD64) and it works without problem using an
> external USB
> > drive. It is not visible until a CD or DVD is inserted at which time
> I am
> > asked what I want to do with the disc.
>
> So have OP inserted the VCD/DVD? Try using the Disk Utility software to
> mount.

I am using version 10.10 - 64 bit (I haven't ungraded because I hate
Unity). I'll try again with a different disk. I just got the external
drive but it is used (maybe the drive is a few years old) , the disk is
for a movie that I borrowed from the local library. It works OK when I
tried it on my neighbors windows machine so it doesn't seem to be the
disk. Maybe there is some new DRM that is preventing it from being used
under Linux? It wouldn't surprise me to find the movie industry is
trying to come up with DRM that prevents Linux those disks. It might
be special DRM used on the movies libraries lend out (But not the disks
bought in stores).

Bill Stanley

Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/1/21 Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com>:
> < snip >
>> *> I use ubuntu 11.10 (AMD64) and it works without problem using an
>> external USB
>> *> drive. It is not visible until a CD or DVD is inserted at which time
>> I am
>> *> asked what I want to do with the disc.
>>
>> So have OP inserted the VCD/DVD? Try using the Disk Utility software to
>> mount.
>
> I am using version 10.10 - 64 bit (I haven't ungraded because I hate
> Unity). I'll try again with a different disk. *I just got the external
> drive but it is used (maybe the drive is a few years old) , the disk is
> for a movie that I borrowed from the local library. *It works OK *when I
> tried it on my neighbors windows machine so it doesn't seem to be the
> disk. *Maybe there is some new DRM that is preventing it from being used
> under Linux? *It wouldn't surprise me to find the movie industry is
> trying to come up with DRM that prevents *Linux those disks. *It might
> be special DRM used on the movies libraries lend out (But not the disks
> bought in stores).
>
> Bill Stanley

You could install Ubuntu 10.10 on a pen drive or something, bring it
to your neighbour and start it on his/her computer. Then does it work?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:

>> So have OP inserted the VCD/DVD? Try using the Disk Utility software to
>> mount.
>
> I am using version 10.10 - 64 bit (I haven't ungraded because I hate
> Unity). I'll try again with a different disk. *I just got the external
> drive but it is used (maybe the drive is a few years old) , the disk is
> for a movie that I borrowed from the local library. *It works OK *when I
> tried it on my neighbors windows machine so it doesn't seem to be the
> disk. *Maybe there is some new DRM that is preventing it from being used
> under Linux? *It wouldn't surprise me to find the movie industry is
> trying to come up with DRM that prevents *Linux those disks. *It might
> be special DRM used on the movies libraries lend out (But not the disks
> bought in stores).

If I understood well, when you insert the DVD inside the USB DVD
Player, the system sees it, but it doesn't playback.

If this is the case:

1. Install the package ubuntu-restricted-extras in Synaptic. This
isn't for DVDs, but it is useful.

2. Add Medibuntu repository, and from there install the package
libdvdcss2. This is for DVDs.

http://medibuntu.org

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Well, you need bit more than simply libdvdcss2. You also need the
codecs file starting with letter "w".

http://medibuntu.org

BC

--
No one new to power has ever disarmed his subjects; on the contrary, finding them disarmed new rulers have always armed them.
Niccolo Machiavelli