Old 01-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Chris Green

Default How to execute a server script from a button - HTML/Apache2/Ubuntu 11.10

I'm running a standard LAMP setup (Apache2, mySql) on an Ubuntu 11.10 system.

I want to run a server script by clicking a button on an HTML page.

Can I get away with just an <INPUT>? E.g.:-

<INPUT TYPE=submit NAME="Button" ONCLICK=WhatDoIPutHere>;

I realise this would normally run some javascript on the client but I'm
sure it must be possible to hook through to some code on the server. I
don't want to leave the page being displayed with the button on it, I
just want to run something.

Alternatively it would be OK[ish] to be able to run something client
side (I realise this would normally be a security no-no but it's just
for me on my own server), can one escape the browser sandbox somehow and
do this?

--
Chris Green