FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-19-2012, 10:30 PM
R Kimber
 
Default Debug error

gdb is giving me the following:-

warning: the debug information found in
"/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
"/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).

warning: the debug information found in
"/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
"/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).

What, if anything, should I do about this? It looks as though the debugging
libraries are not up to date with the normal libraries. My system is
updated regularly.

Xubuntu 11.10

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default Debug error

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:30:17PM +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> gdb is giving me the following:-
>
> warning: the debug information found in
> "/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
> "/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).
>
> warning: the debug information found in
> "/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
> "/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).
>
> What, if anything, should I do about this? It looks as though the debugging
> libraries are not up to date with the normal libraries. My system is
> updated regularly..

What's the output of

apt-cache policy libxml2

and

apt-cache policy libxml2-dbg

and

apt-cache policy libxml2-dbgsym

?

> Xubuntu 11.10

Marius Gedminas
--
It is a mess, pure and simple. Sucks to be away from Unix, huh?
-- man perlfaq3
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM
R Kimber
 
Default Debug error

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 03:55:24 +0200
Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:30:17PM +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> > gdb is giving me the following:-
> >
> > warning: the debug information found in
> > "/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
> > "/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).
> >
> > warning: the debug information found in
> > "/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
> > "/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).

> What's the output of
>
> apt-cache policy libxml2

libxml2:
Installed: 2.7.8.dfsg-4
Candidate: 2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1
Version table:
2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main amd64
Packages 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/main amd64
Packages *** 2.7.8.dfsg-4 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> and
>
> apt-cache policy libxml2-dbg

libxml2-dbg:
Installed: 2.7.8.dfsg-4
Candidate: 2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1
Version table:
2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main amd64
Packages 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/main amd64
Packages *** 2.7.8.dfsg-4 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> and
>
> apt-cache policy libxml2-dbgsym

N: Unable to locate package libxml2-dbgsym

Maybe this is the problem, but Synaptic does not show a libxml2-dbgsym
package as being available.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default Debug error

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:17:30AM +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 03:55:24 +0200
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:30:17PM +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> > > gdb is giving me the following:-
> > >
> > > warning: the debug information found in
> > > "/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
> > > "/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).
> > >
> > > warning: the debug information found in
> > > "/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
> > > "/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).

How can I try to reproduce this? (Without building a

> > What's the output of
> >
> > apt-cache policy libxml2
>
> libxml2:
> Installed: 2.7.8.dfsg-4
> Candidate: 2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1
> Version table:
> 2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1 0
> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main amd64 Packages
> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/main amd64 Packages
> *** 2.7.8.dfsg-4 0
> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> > and
> >
> > apt-cache policy libxml2-dbg
>
> libxml2-dbg:
> Installed: 2.7.8.dfsg-4
> Candidate: 2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1
> Version table:
> 2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1 0
> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main amd64 Packages
> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/main amd64 Packages
> *** 2.7.8.dfsg-4 0
> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Ok, so the versions match.

(Although you should install the security update!)

I can reproduce your problem:

$ gdb
(gdb) file /usr/lib/libxml2.so
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libxml2.so...warning: the debug
information found in "/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does
not match "/usr/lib/libxml2.so" (CRC mismatch).

warning: the debug information found in
"/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
"/usr/lib/libxml2.so" (CRC mismatch).

(no debugging symbols found)...done.

Looks like a bug to me. This bug, actually:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libxml2/+bug/669852

> > and
> >
> > apt-cache policy libxml2-dbgsym
>
> N: Unable to locate package libxml2-dbgsym
>
> Maybe this is the problem, but Synaptic does not show a libxml2-dbgsym
> package as being available.

That's fine; it comes from the ddebs repository which is not enabled by
default. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash for more
information.

Most packages do not have a -dbg version, but almost all of them have
-dbgsym. Libxml2 has both, for some reason. I just wanted to make sure
which one you were using.

Incidentally, when I install libxml2-dbgsym, gdb is then able to find
libxml2's debug symbols. I suggest you do the same.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
C gives you enough rope to hang yourself. C++ also gives you the tree object to
tie it to.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default Debug error

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 06:46:48PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:17:30AM +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 03:55:24 +0200
> > Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:30:17PM +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> > > > gdb is giving me the following:-
> > > >
> > > > warning: the debug information found in
> > > > "/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
> > > > "/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).
> > > >
> > > > warning: the debug information found in
> > > > "/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8" does not match
> > > > "/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2" (CRC mismatch).
>
> How can I try to reproduce this? (Without building a

Disregard this please, I figured it out mid-sentence, then forgot to
delete the question. :-)

Marius Gedminas
--
The moral of the story is that with a contrived example, you can prove
anything. Oops. No, that's not what I meant to say.
-- Joel Spolski
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 PM
R Kimber
 
Default Debug error

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:46:48 +0200
Marius Gedminas wrote:

> Ok, so the versions match.
>
> (Although you should install the security update!)

Yes. That came through today, and I installed it.

> I can reproduce your problem:

> Looks like a bug to me. This bug, actually:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libxml2/+bug/669852

> > Maybe this is the problem, but Synaptic does not show a libxml2-dbgsym
> > package as being available.
>
> That's fine; it comes from the ddebs repository which is not enabled by
> default. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash for more
> information.
>
> Most packages do not have a -dbg version, but almost all of them have
> -dbgsym. Libxml2 has both, for some reason. I just wanted to make sure
> which one you were using.
>
> Incidentally, when I install libxml2-dbgsym, gdb is then able to find
> libxml2's debug symbols. I suggest you do the same.

Many thanks for your help. I tried to install libxml2-dbgsym, but I get

libxml2-dbgsym:
Depends: libxml2 (=2.7.8.dfsg-4) but 2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1 is to be
installed

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 AM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default Debug error

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 06:11:56PM +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:46:48 +0200
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
> > Ok, so the versions match.
> >
> > (Although you should install the security update!)
>
> Yes. That came through today, and I installed it.
>
> > I can reproduce your problem:
>
> > Looks like a bug to me. This bug, actually:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libxml2/+bug/669852
>
> > > Maybe this is the problem, but Synaptic does not show a libxml2-dbgsym
> > > package as being available.
> >
> > That's fine; it comes from the ddebs repository which is not enabled by
> > default. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash for more
> > information.
> >
> > Most packages do not have a -dbg version, but almost all of them have
> > -dbgsym. Libxml2 has both, for some reason. I just wanted to make sure
> > which one you were using.
> >
> > Incidentally, when I install libxml2-dbgsym, gdb is then able to find
> > libxml2's debug symbols. I suggest you do the same.
>
> Many thanks for your help. I tried to install libxml2-dbgsym, but I get
>
> libxml2-dbgsym:
> Depends: libxml2 (=2.7.8.dfsg-4) but 2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1 is to be
> installed

Run apt-get update and try again? It probably takes a bit of time for
the debug symbols to appear after the security update.

I can already see the new version of libxml2-dbgsym here:

$ apt-cache policy libxml2-dbgsym
libxml2-dbgsym:
Installed: 2.7.8.dfsg-4
Candidate: 2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1
Version table:
2.7.8.dfsg-4ubuntu0.1 0
500 http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/ oneiric-updates/main i386 Packages
500 http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/ oneiric-updates/main i386 Packages
500 http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/ oneiric-security/main i386 Packages
500 http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/ oneiric-security/main i386 Packages
*** 2.7.8.dfsg-4 0
500 http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
500 http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

(and yeah, I need to install the security update too

You may also want to check if you have a ddebs repository for oneiric-security
enabled. E.g. I have

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ddebs.list
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com oneiric main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com oneiric-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com oneiric-proposed main restricted universe multiverse


Marius Gedminas
--
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
-- Rich Kulawiec
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM
R Kimber
 
Default Debug error

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 05:25:42 +0200
Marius Gedminas wrote:

> You may also want to check if you have a ddebs repository for
> oneiric-security enabled. E.g. I have
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ddebs.list
> deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com oneiric main restricted universe multiverse
> deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates main restricted universe
> multiverse deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com oneiric-security main restricted
> universe multiverse deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com oneiric-proposed main
> restricted universe multiverse

Thanks. That has worked now, and everything is in order. I much appreciate
your help.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org