Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Knute Johnson

Default Precise archive?

I've been told that I can download the latest version of resolvconf from
the Precise archive to solve my DNS problem on my server installation.
Anybody know how to do that? What is the Precise archive?

Thanks very much,

--

Knute Johnson

Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 PM
James Tappin

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:18:06 -0800
Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

KJ> What is the Precise archive?

The next version of *buntu (name Precise Pangolin, to be released
12.04).

Whether installing packages from Precise in an Onieric system is a good
idea, I'm not sure (it certainly needs to be done with care).

P.S. I have a feeling the choice of name for 12.04 may cause confusion
as it's not as obviously a code name as previous ones.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Knute Johnson

On 1/19/2012 2:32 PM, James Tappin wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:18:06 -0800
Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

KJ> What is the Precise archive?

The next version of *buntu (name Precise Pangolin, to be released
12.04).

Whether installing packages from Precise in an Onieric system is a good
idea, I'm not sure (it certainly needs to be done with care).

P.S. I have a feeling the choice of name for 12.04 may cause confusion
as it's not as obviously a code name as previous ones.

Apparently that's where the fix is. You know how to do it?

--

Knute Johnson

Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 AM
scott

On 01/19/2012 07:27 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:

On 1/19/2012 2:32 PM, James Tappin wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:18:06 -0800
Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

KJ> What is the Precise archive?

The next version of *buntu (name Precise Pangolin, to be released
12.04).

Whether installing packages from Precise in an Onieric system is a good
idea, I'm not sure (it certainly needs to be done with care).

P.S. I have a feeling the choice of name for 12.04 may cause confusion
as it's not as obviously a code name as previous ones.

Apparently that's where the fix is. You know how to do it?

Maybe try the apt link on this page:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packages/show/412316

Scott

Old 01-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Knute Johnson

On 01/19/2012 07:27 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:

On 1/19/2012 2:32 PM, James Tappin wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:18:06 -0800
Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

KJ> What is the Precise archive?

The next version of *buntu (name Precise Pangolin, to be released
12.04).

Whether installing packages from Precise in an Onieric system is a good
idea, I'm not sure (it certainly needs to be done with care).

P.S. I have a feeling the choice of name for 12.04 may cause confusion
as it's not as obviously a code name as previous ones.

Apparently that's where the fix is. You know how to do it?

Maybe try the apt link on this page:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packages/show/412316

Scott

Thanks for the thought but it's a server installation, no X, no
browsers, no work.

There must be a way to configure apt or aptitude to access the
repository but I have no idea how to do that. That's what I need to
know how to do.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the thought but it's a server installation, no X, no browsers, no
> work.
>
> There must be a way to configure apt or aptitude to access the repository
> but I have no idea how to do that. *That's what I need to know how to do.

I think it is not a good idea to use the Precise archive via apt,
since it will mess your system.

1. Try uninstalling the version you have installed,

2. download the latest Precise Pangolin version of it from here

http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/r/resolvconf/resolvconf_1.63ubuntu3_all.deb

3. and install it via command line:

sudo dpkg -i resolvconf_1.63ubuntu3_all.deb

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Knute Johnson

Thanks for the thought but it's a server installation, no X, no browsers, no
work.

There must be a way to configure apt or aptitude to access the repository
but I have no idea how to do that. That's what I need to know how to do.

I think it is not a good idea to use the Precise archive via apt,
since it will mess your system.

1. Try uninstalling the version you have installed,

2. download the latest Precise Pangolin version of it from here

http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/r/resolvconf/resolvconf_1.63ubuntu3_all.deb

3. and install it via command line:

sudo dpkg -i resolvconf_1.63ubuntu3_all.deb

Ioannis, that worked like a charm. Thank you very much!

--

Knute Johnson