Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Navdeep Singh Sidhu

Default Need help in installation of JAVA & Netbeans !!

hello

Recently i reinstalled ubuntu on my laptop & when i try to install
netbeans on it, it's installer says compatible JDK not found but i had
installed JDK 1.7.0_02 on it & i followed these commands

root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --config javac

update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javac.

root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_02/bin/javac 1

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_02/bin/javac to provide /usr/bin/javac (javac) in auto mode.

but when i* tried javac command it gives following error

root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# javac

bash: /usr/bin/javac: Permission denied

so i remove it using

root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --remove-all javac

can i get some help?

Regards

Navdeep Singh

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Ric Moore

Recently i reinstalled ubuntu on my laptop& when i try to install netbeans
on it, it's installer says compatible JDK not found but i had installed JDK
1.7.0_02 on it& i followed these commands

root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --config javac
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javac.
root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac
javac /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_02/bin/javac 1
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_02/bin/javac to provide
/usr/bin/javac (javac) in auto mode.

but when i tried javac command it gives following error

root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# javac
bash: /usr/bin/javac: Permission denied

so i remove it using

root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --remove-all javac

can i get some help?

I would be of better help if my other harddrive, with ALL of my
accumlated links weren't in repose on that dead parrot. So, just google
on "install java 7 linux ubuntu" and you'll find some good links to show
you exactly how. They will provide a script that will make all of the
links for you in alternatives, so that every possible java binary is
found and updated for you. It's worth it, as java 7 seems to be much
more multi-core aware.

Huh, I just googled and it seems someone has a ppa
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html

that provides an app that downloads and installs Oracle Java 7 for you
and installs it. This would beat doing by hand like I had to. Give that
a whirl! Otherwise I found the site I used before:

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-jdk-in.html

I'd try the ppa first. Enjoy! Hope this helps. IMHO, Java 7 is the way
to go. Ric

Old 01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Thu, January 19, 2012 08:34, Navdeep Singh Sidhu wrote:
> hello
>
> Recently i reinstalled ubuntu on my laptop & when i try to install
> netbeans on it, it's installer says compatible JDK not found but i had
> installed JDK 1.7.0_02 on it & i followed these commands
>
> root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --config javac
> update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javac.
> root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --install
> /usr/bin/javac javac /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_02/bin/javac 1
> update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_02/bin/javac to provide
> /usr/bin/javac (javac) in auto mode.
>
> but when i tried javac command it gives following error
>
> root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# javac bash: /usr/bin/javac: Permission
> denied
>
> so i remove it using
>
> root@S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --remove-all javac
>

> can i get some help?

Copy/paste the output of the following commands:

which java
which javac
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre openjdk-7-jdk
which java
which javac
sudo apt-get install netbeans

More help at:
http://openjdk.java.net/install/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Netbeans

Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

Navdeep, I'd give this a try first, to properly install Java 7 with
minimal pain using a script that is in a .deb file that will download
and install Java 7 for you.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html

Hope this helps! Namaskar, Ric