-   -   fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN now broken again. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/622136-fresh-install-blooming-dvd-drive-not-recognized-again-solved-now-broken-again.html)

Craig White 01-18-2012 12:09 AM

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 19:19 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> Now it won't fire up Nancy Drew! I checked everything, all the
> connectors are connected correctly. I checked the bios, no problems
> there with regards to the drives. The harddrive is pin selected to
> "Master", the DVD is pin selected as "slave", the 80-wire IDE connector
> is set with the DVD in the middle and the harddrive to the end.
>
> The DVD sees a data disk, aoutomounts it with no prob. I just checked.
> I made sure that /dev/dvd /dev/cdrom and /dev/sr0 are chowned
> root:cdrom. I am part of that group. Could there be another point that
> the DVD could be set to other than /dev/sr0 ? The problem must be in
> there somewhere. Ric
----
for many years now, the proper way is to use 'cable select' (CS) on all
ATA/IDE devices and let the cable/controller work it out (end is master,
inside is slave). Many BIOS/devices will fail if you try to determine
via the jumpers (master/slave). Just set everything to CS.

Craig

believed to be clean.