FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Chris Green
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

I'm after an application which will allow me to enter data into a sqlite
database using a 'grid' layout of the data. I.e. I want the existing
contents of the database displayed as a table and I want to be able to
click on a field in a row and just edit the data in place. In addition
I want to be able to use the TAB key to move from field to field
(another key would be OK, just not the mouse). There should be an empty
row at the bottom for entering a new row.

I'm happy to use a design tool of some sort to do this although a ready
made application would be easier/quicker of course. I don't want to
code the whole thing from scratch though.

What I want is what MS Access calls a tabular form in its design wizard
and is also what it presents you with by default if you open a table
directly.

I need this to run under Linux as a desktop application or alternatively
a web application would be fine, I have apache2 with PHP etc. running on
my desktop machine here.

I've searched around quite a lot for something that can do this for me
but haven't found anything yet. There are lots of database management
programs (such as sqlitebrowser and sqliteman) but while they do a good
job of managing a database they're really not built for entering data.

I just want an executable I can run with database name and table name as
parameters, e.g.:-

myDataEditor somedatabase.db tablexyz

... and it fires up a window with the rows/columns in a grid and allows
me to edit. I don't want to have to navigate through menus and options
to get there.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Jim Byrnes
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

On 01/17/2012 12:00 PM, Chris Green wrote:

I'm after an application which will allow me to enter data into a sqlite
database using a 'grid' layout of the data. I.e. I want the existing
contents of the database displayed as a table and I want to be able to
click on a field in a row and just edit the data in place. In addition
I want to be able to use the TAB key to move from field to field
(another key would be OK, just not the mouse). There should be an empty
row at the bottom for entering a new row.

I'm happy to use a design tool of some sort to do this although a ready
made application would be easier/quicker of course. I don't want to
code the whole thing from scratch though.

What I want is what MS Access calls a tabular form in its design wizard
and is also what it presents you with by default if you open a table
directly.

I need this to run under Linux as a desktop application or alternatively
a web application would be fine, I have apache2 with PHP etc. running on
my desktop machine here.

I've searched around quite a lot for something that can do this for me
but haven't found anything yet. There are lots of database management
programs (such as sqlitebrowser and sqliteman) but while they do a good
job of managing a database they're really not built for entering data.

I just want an executable I can run with database name and table name as
parameters, e.g.:-

myDataEditor somedatabase.db tablexyz

... and it fires up a window with the rows/columns in a grid and allows
me to edit. I don't want to have to navigate through menus and options
to get there.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome.



Maybe Openoffice/Libreoffice. The database portion does have the
tabular form you are looking for, but I have never used it with Sqlite.
It appears it is possible but not easy. Here is a link that may help
you decide.


http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Using_SQLite_With_OpenOffice.org

Regards, Jim


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM
"compdoc"
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

> Maybe Openoffice/Libreoffice. The database portion does have the tabular
> form you are looking for, but I have never used it with Sqlite.
> It appears it is possible but not easy. Here is a link that may help you
decide.

This from the Libreoffice website concerning Base:

...Base also caters to power users and enterprise requirements, and provides
native-support drivers for some of the most-widely employed multi-user
database engines: MySQL, Adabas D, MS Access and PostgreSQL. In addition,
the built-in support for JDBC- and ODBC-standard drivers allows you to
connect to virtually any other existing database engine as well.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Steve Flynn
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

On 17 January 2012 18:00, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> I'm after an application which will allow me to enter data into a sqlite
> database using a 'grid' layout of the data. *I.e. I want the existing
> contents of the database displayed as a table and I want to be able to
> click on a field in a row and just edit the data in place. *In addition
> I want to be able to use the TAB key to move from field to field
> (another key would be OK, just not the mouse). *There should be an empty
> row at the bottom for entering a new row.


SQL Developer should fit the bill for you. RPM's available from
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html

We use it for our Oracle databases, but as it has ODBC capability you
should be able to point it at pretty much any compliant database
system.


--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Chris Green
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:28:18AM +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On 17 January 2012 18:00, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > I'm after an application which will allow me to enter data into a sqlite
> > database using a 'grid' layout of the data. *I.e. I want the existing
> > contents of the database displayed as a table and I want to be able to
> > click on a field in a row and just edit the data in place. *In addition
> > I want to be able to use the TAB key to move from field to field
> > (another key would be OK, just not the mouse). *There should be an empty
> > row at the bottom for entering a new row.
>
>
> SQL Developer should fit the bill for you. RPM's available from
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html
>
> We use it for our Oracle databases, but as it has ODBC capability you
> should be able to point it at pretty much any compliant database
> system.
>
I think that is just a *huge* (there's 147Mb of it) tool for doing
database management. I've looked at the overview and documentation and
it has all the usual stuff for creating databases, importing data,
building queries, etc. but nothing for *editing* the data once in the
table. I guess one would call what I want 'forms'. The first paragraph
of "What is SQL Developer" says:-

Oracle SQL Developer is a free graphical tool for database development.
With SQL Developer, you can browse database objects, run SQL statements
and SQL scripts, and edit and debug PL/SQL statements. You can also run
any number of provided reports, as well as create and save your own. SQL
Developer enhances productivity and simplifies your database development tasks.

A brilliant list of all the things I don't want! :-) I don't want
something to design/create my database, I already have the database. I
don't want to run complex queries on the data so SQL editors and
debuggers are irrelevant. I don't want to create reports. I just want
a straightforward way to enter data into my database.

I'm really using the database as a simple (and easy to manipulate) store
for tabular data, I'm not using the relational capabilities at all for
this (well these - several similar applications). I just need an easy
way to enter tabular data and then (where the fact that it's a database
helps) ways of extracting the data with filtering/sorting.

I *could* just use a text file arranged in columns but that gets clumsy
for resizing columns etc. plus I'd have to write code to extract the
data in ways I wanted it. A database provides much of the basic tools I
want but without simple data entry I'm a bit stuck. I guess I might
look into ways and means of converting from some other format (e.g. a
table in a wordprocessor) which makes the editing easy, to and from the
database.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Steve Flynn
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

On 18 January 2012 11:06, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:28:18AM +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
>> On 17 January 2012 18:00, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> > I'm after an application which will allow me to enter data into a sqlite
>> > database using a 'grid' layout of the data. *I.e. I want the existing
>> > contents of the database displayed as a table and I want to be able to
>> > click on a field in a row and just edit the data in place. *In addition
>> > I want to be able to use the TAB key to move from field to field
>> > (another key would be OK, just not the mouse). *There should be an empty
>> > row at the bottom for entering a new row.
>>
>>
>> SQL Developer should fit the bill for you. RPM's available from
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html
>>
>> We use it for our Oracle databases, but as it has ODBC capability you
>> should be able to point it at pretty much any compliant database
>> system.
>>
> I think that is just a *huge* (there's 147Mb of it) tool for doing
> database management. *I've looked at the overview and documentation and
> it has all the usual stuff for creating databases, importing data,
> building queries, etc. *but nothing for *editing* the data once in the
> table. *I guess one would call what I want 'forms'. *The first paragraph
> of "What is SQL Developer" says:-

It's huge because it's written in Java and has a lot of feature you
won't have any use for. It also probably contains a full
implementation of the java VM which you may or may not need/want

> * *Oracle SQL Developer is a free graphical tool for database development.
> * *With SQL Developer, you can browse database objects, run SQL statements
> * *and SQL scripts, and edit and debug PL/SQL statements. You can also run
> * *any number of provided reports, as well as create and save your own. SQL
> * *Developer enhances productivity and simplifies your database development tasks.
>
> A brilliant list of all the things I don't want! *:-) * I don't want
> something to design/create my database, I already have the database. *I
> don't want to run complex queries on the data so SQL editors and
> debuggers are irrelevant. *I don't want to create reports. *I just want
> a straightforward way to enter data into my database.

I'm using it right now to edit some data in a table in our of our
databases. It has a grid layout, as you requested. Obviously it has a
load of stuff you don't need, such as a query builder, DDL editor and
so forth, but it will allow you to import data from text files, paste
data into a grid layout (moving from cell to cell just as you would
with a spreadsheet) or just type directly into a cell.

I'm pretty sure that something like toad, PL/SQL Developer or a myriad
of other tools will permit you to do the same thing, but they are
either proprietary, require licensing or don't run under Linux. This
product is free, will do what you want (I believe) and has a Linux
version.

Give it a whirl - if it's not what you need, you've lost precisely
what you paid for it - nothing.

--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Justin Jereza
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

--

Composed on a phone.

On Jan 18, 2012 7:06 PM, "Chris Green" <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:28:18AM +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:

> On 17 January 2012 18:00, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> > I'm after an application which will allow me to enter data into a sqlite

> > database using a 'grid' layout of the data. *I.e. I want the existing

> > contents of the database displayed as a table and I want to be able to

> > click on a field in a row and just edit the data in place. *In addition

> > I want to be able to use the TAB key to move from field to field

> > (another key would be OK, just not the mouse). *There should be an empty

> > row at the bottom for entering a new row.

>

>

> SQL Developer should fit the bill for you. RPM's available from

> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html

>

> We use it for our Oracle databases, but as it has ODBC capability you

> should be able to point it at pretty much any compliant database

> system.

>

I think that is just a *huge* (there's 147Mb of it) tool for doing

database management. *I've looked at the overview and documentation and

it has all the usual stuff for creating databases, importing data,

building queries, etc. *but nothing for *editing* the data once in the

table. *I guess one would call what I want 'forms'. *The first paragraph

of "What is SQL Developer" says:-



* *Oracle SQL Developer is a free graphical tool for database development.

* *With SQL Developer, you can browse database objects, run SQL statements

* *and SQL scripts, and edit and debug PL/SQL statements. You can also run

* *any number of provided reports, as well as create and save your own. SQL

* *Developer enhances productivity and simplifies your database development tasks.



A brilliant list of all the things I don't want! *:-) * I don't want

something to design/create my database, I already have the database. *I

don't want to run complex queries on the data so SQL editors and

debuggers are irrelevant. *I don't want to create reports. *I just want

a straightforward way to enter data into my database.



I'm really using the database as a simple (and easy to manipulate) store

for tabular data, I'm not using the relational capabilities at all for

this (well these - several similar applications). *I just need an easy

way to enter tabular data and then (where the fact that it's a database

helps) ways of extracting the data with filtering/sorting.



I *could* just use a text file arranged in columns but that gets clumsy

for resizing columns etc. plus I'd have to write code to extract the

data in ways I wanted it. *A database provides much of the basic tools I

want but without simple data entry I'm a bit stuck. *I guess I might

look into ways and means of converting from some other format (e.g. a

table in a wordprocessor) which makes the editing easy, to and from the

database.



--

Chris Green



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Chris Green
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:30:15PM +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
> > * *Oracle SQL Developer is a free graphical tool for database development.
> > * *With SQL Developer, you can browse database objects, run SQL statements
> > * *and SQL scripts, and edit and debug PL/SQL statements. You can also run
> > * *any number of provided reports, as well as create and save your own. SQL
> > * *Developer enhances productivity and simplifies your database development tasks.
> >
> > A brilliant list of all the things I don't want! *:-) * I don't want
> > something to design/create my database, I already have the database. *I
> > don't want to run complex queries on the data so SQL editors and
> > debuggers are irrelevant. *I don't want to create reports. *I just want
> > a straightforward way to enter data into my database.
>
> I'm using it right now to edit some data in a table in our of our
> databases. It has a grid layout, as you requested. Obviously it has a
> load of stuff you don't need, such as a query builder, DDL editor and
> so forth, but it will allow you to import data from text files, paste
> data into a grid layout (moving from cell to cell just as you would
> with a spreadsheet) or just type directly into a cell.
>
> I'm pretty sure that something like toad, PL/SQL Developer or a myriad
> of other tools will permit you to do the same thing, but they are
> either proprietary, require licensing or don't run under Linux. This
> product is free, will do what you want (I believe) and has a Linux
> version.
>
> Give it a whirl - if it's not what you need, you've lost precisely
> what you paid for it - nothing.
>
OK, thanks, I'll take a look then.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Justin Jereza
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

Please ignore previous empty message.


Have you considered exporting from the DB to csv, editing it in a spreadsheet, save as csv, and import from csv to DB?


--

Composed on a phone.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Chris Green
 
Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:03:08PM +0800, Justin Jereza wrote:
> Please ignore previous empty message.
>
:-) I was just trying to fathom it out!


> Have you considered exporting from the DB to csv, editing it in a
> spreadsheet, save as csv, and import from csv to DB?
>
Well, not yet, but it might make sense and I could probably automate the
whole sequence fairly easily. This is the sort of approach I was
wondering about in my last paragraph previously.

Now I just want a 'clean', lightweight, spreadsheet.


--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org