Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Justin Jereza

Default Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

> Have you considered exporting from the DB to csv, editing it in a spreadsheet, save as csv, and import from csv to DB?

Whoops... I wasn't thinking properly. Merging changes with this method would be horrible.

--

Composed on a phone.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 11:06 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:28:18AM +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
> > On 17 January 2012 18:00, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > > I'm after an application which will allow me to enter data into a sqlite
> > > database using a 'grid' layout of the data. I.e. I want the existing
> > > contents of the database displayed as a table and I want to be able to
> > > click on a field in a row and just edit the data in place. In addition
> > > I want to be able to use the TAB key to move from field to field
> > > (another key would be OK, just not the mouse). There should be an empty
> > > row at the bottom for entering a new row.
> >

> > SQL Developer should fit the bill for you. RPM's available from
> > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html
> >
> > We use it for our Oracle databases, but as it has ODBC capability you
> > should be able to point it at pretty much any compliant database
> > system.
> >
> I think that is just a *huge* (there's 147Mb of it) tool for doing
> database management. I've looked at the overview and documentation and
> it has all the usual stuff for creating databases, importing data,
> building queries, etc. but nothing for *editing* the data once in the
> table. I guess one would call what I want 'forms'. The first paragraph
> of "What is SQL Developer" says:-
>
> Oracle SQL Developer is a free graphical tool for database development.
> With SQL Developer, you can browse database objects, run SQL statements
> and SQL scripts, and edit and debug PL/SQL statements. You can also run
> any number of provided reports, as well as create and save your own. SQL
> Developer enhances productivity and simplifies your database development tasks.
>
> A brilliant list of all the things I don't want! :-) I don't want
> something to design/create my database, I already have the database. I
> don't want to run complex queries on the data so SQL editors and
> debuggers are irrelevant. I don't want to create reports. I just want
> a straightforward way to enter data into my database.
>
> I'm really using the database as a simple (and easy to manipulate) store
> for tabular data, I'm not using the relational capabilities at all for
> this (well these - several similar applications). I just need an easy
> way to enter tabular data and then (where the fact that it's a database
> helps) ways of extracting the data with filtering/sorting.
>
> I *could* just use a text file arranged in columns but that gets clumsy
> for resizing columns etc. plus I'd have to write code to extract the
> data in ways I wanted it. A database provides much of the basic tools I
> want but without simple data entry I'm a bit stuck. I guess I might
> look into ways and means of converting from some other format (e.g. a
> table in a wordprocessor) which makes the editing easy, to and from the
> database.
----
not that I would recommend this as practical but PgAdmin3 is a full GUI
interface to postgres tables and you can edit in grid view but like
above, it's overkill (and a little buggy).

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Steve Flynn

On 18 January 2012 13:01, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>> Give it a whirl - if it's not what you need, you've lost precisely
>> what you paid for it - nothing.
>>
> OK, thanks, I'll take a look then.

Good luck Chris. If you need a hand one how any of it works shout up,
but you sound competent anyway so I doubt anything you find inside the
product will phase you.

--
Steve

Old 01-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Chris Green

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:10:27PM +0800, Justin Jereza wrote:
> > Have you considered exporting from the DB to csv, editing it in a
> spreadsheet, save as csv, and import from csv to DB?
>
> Whoops... I wasn't thinking properly. Merging changes with this method
> would be horrible.

There's no need to merge, the amount of data is small enough that one
could simply get all the data, do the changes, delete the old database
and then write the data back. Remember this will probably use sqlite so,
given one table per database file, this would be pretty easy.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
NoOp

On 01/17/2012 10:00 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> I'm after an application which will allow me to enter data into a sqlite
> database using a 'grid' layout of the data. I.e. I want the existing
> contents of the database displayed as a table and I want to be able to
> click on a field in a row and just edit the data in place. In addition
> I want to be able to use the TAB key to move from field to field
> (another key would be OK, just not the mouse). There should be an empty
> row at the bottom for entering a new row.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sqlite-manager/

The screenshots don't show the 'Edit' button, but the current version
o.7.7 in 'Browse & Search' has one. No TAB key though; that only moves
from button to button.

Project home is here:
<http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/>
<http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/wiki/CommonTasks>

Old 01-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Chris Green

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 06:13:36AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > I *could* just use a text file arranged in columns but that gets clumsy
> > for resizing columns etc. plus I'd have to write code to extract the
> > data in ways I wanted it. A database provides much of the basic tools I
> > want but without simple data entry I'm a bit stuck. I guess I might
> > look into ways and means of converting from some other format (e.g. a
> > table in a wordprocessor) which makes the editing easy, to and from the
> > database.
> ----
> not that I would recommend this as practical but PgAdmin3 is a full GUI
> interface to postgres tables and you can edit in grid view but like
> above, it's overkill (and a little buggy).

I've installed and played with PgAdmin3, it's very nearly what I want
but has one major disadvantage and one minor disadvantage:-

There's no direct way to the table data editing mode, one has to
click through several menus loading the database etc. There aren't
command line options to take one directly to the editing grid.

There's a stupid splash screen that you can't turn off that wastes a
couple of seconds every time you start the program.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Craig White

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 16:28 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 06:13:36AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > I *could* just use a text file arranged in columns but that gets clumsy
> > > for resizing columns etc. plus I'd have to write code to extract the
> > > data in ways I wanted it. A database provides much of the basic tools I
> > > want but without simple data entry I'm a bit stuck. I guess I might
> > > look into ways and means of converting from some other format (e.g. a
> > > table in a wordprocessor) which makes the editing easy, to and from the
> > > database.
> > ----
> > not that I would recommend this as practical but PgAdmin3 is a full GUI
> > interface to postgres tables and you can edit in grid view but like
> > above, it's overkill (and a little buggy).
> >
> I've installed and played with PgAdmin3, it's very nearly what I want
> but has one major disadvantage and one minor disadvantage:-
>
> There's no direct way to the table data editing mode, one has to
> click through several menus loading the database etc. There aren't
> command line options to take one directly to the editing grid.
>
> There's a stupid splash screen that you can't turn off that wastes a
> couple of seconds every time you start the program.
----
CLI launch

pgadmin3 -s $SERVER_NAME

Craig