Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Colin Law

Default fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN now broken again.

On 17 January 2012 06:50, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/16/2012 10:43 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> See this??
>>> ric@ima:~$ sudo hdparm /dev/sr0
>>> [sudo] password for ric:
>>>
>>> /dev/sr0:
>>> multcount = 0 (off)
>>> IO_support = 0 (default)
>>> readonly = 0 (off)
>>> readahead = 256 (on)
>>> HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>>> ric@ima:~$
>>>
>>> Nothing changed!
>>>
>>> ...but after a FRESH install of Xubuntu 11.10 and I let it install
>>> updates and the non-free bits, ~at install time~ instead of after,
>>> plus kicking the script for libdvdcss2 into action,
>>>
>>> DVD movies now auto-mount and play. What can I say... that worked. The
>>> only difference is that this time, during install, I checked the boxes
>>> to let it do the updates and install naughty bits as part of the
>>> process, instead of me doing it by the seat of my pants afterwards.
>>> Like Windows, I just had to dumb down.
>>

>> Told you already: you are using the wrong distro O:-) .
>>
>>> I'll do my next install from a high-chair with a bib on, and not touch
>>> a thing! <chuckles> Ric
>>

>> That is where the ship you sail on is headed:
>>

>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/tv-for-human-beings-ubuntu-linux/10109
>>

>> Oh, you may also want to look at:
>>

>> http://www.networkworld.com/slideshow/25030?source=NWWNLE_nlt_linux_2012-01-11
>

> It went into Dead Parrot Mode again. When I first fired up, it ran "True
> Lies" like a champ. Then later it says it cannot decrypt it, but the True
> Lies directory is THERE in ~/.dvdcss !!
> Now, it won't come up at all. So much for Ubuntu TV. I swear, I'm going to
> become Swiss and learn how to yodel. Ric

With the problem being so variable is it possible that you have a
hardware problem? Perhaps the drive is on the way out, or something
on the mother board.

Colin

Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Johnny

Or cable. Sounds more hardware to me. Than software.
Good Luck and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Ric Moore