Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Ric Moore

Default fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN now broken again.

On 01/18/2012 11:29 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

There is no reason why plugging in just the drive should result in no
beep - however, there are 2 things to think about (as I experienced same
about 12 months ago): first is that, provided that the HD is functional,
the PSU's 12-volt (at least one of them, that is) has failed/is failing
and you need a new PSU;

I do have a new 450 watt supply on this machine, right out of the box.
But when I plug the SATA drive in, from my server-setup machine, this
machine won't even boot, or attempt to boot, or post or nothing. DOA. I
remove the drive, then the machine wakes up, posts and boots. Methinks
the SATA drive is a dead parrot.

and second have you tried switching off the PSU

(its on/off switch at the *back* of the computer), waiting for 20-odd
seconds then switching it back on and then rebooting? I learnt this last
trick with my wife's system where the mobo is failing as I mentioned to
you and the only way I could get it to beep was to do what I just
described.

Oh yeah, I even prayed AND chanted. I'm fresh out of chicken feet, due
to the Xmas rush on my "Computer Chicken Foot Voodoo and Gris Gris",
which is a fine line of products for those moments when nothing else
works. The Federal Communications people bought the last dozen, as they
don't understand computers OR the Internet. I gave them a discount. Ric