Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Ric Moore

Default fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN now broken again.

On 01/17/2012 11:19 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 18/01/12 12:50, Ric Moore wrote:

On 01/17/2012 08:09 PM, Craig White wrote:

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 19:19 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

Now it won't fire up Nancy Drew! I checked everything, all the
connectors are connected correctly. I checked the bios, no problems
there with regards to the drives. The harddrive is pin selected to
"Master", the DVD is pin selected as "slave", the 80-wire IDE connector
is set with the DVD in the middle and the harddrive to the end.

The DVD sees a data disk, aoutomounts it with no prob. I just checked.
I made sure that /dev/dvd /dev/cdrom and /dev/sr0 are chowned
root:cdrom. I am part of that group. Could there be another point that
the DVD could be set to other than /dev/sr0 ? The problem must be in
there somewhere. Ric

----
for many years now, the proper way is to use 'cable select' (CS) on all
ATA/IDE devices and let the cable/controller work it out (end is master,
inside is slave). Many BIOS/devices will fail if you try to determine
via the jumpers (master/slave). Just set everything to CS.

I'm old and in need of being shot. I'll do that,,, set both to Cable
select, the cd on the end and the harddrive in the middle?? Thanks! Ric

NO - the HD at the end and the CD in the middle.

Physically impossible, due to the design of the case... The DVD drive
HAS to go in at the very top of the tower... and the harddrive narrower
slot is about 2 bays lower. The cable is maxed reaching the end of the
IDE cable. In my down-for-now master system, The DVD is the only thing
plugged in using IDE, ...the harddrive is SATA on a SATA cable.

HEh, now on cable select the HD is slave and the DVD master. Wouldn't
the SOB still work?? Now I note I have /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/DVD1

Re-install?? Ric

Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

I forgot to add in my other response that I am older than you and I am
only 39 so how can you be "old"? 8-)

I'm only 20 something up here <taps noggin> Physically I'm 61. Or 62, I
ferget. I don't care to keep count anymore. I'll kill Space Aliens for a
bit and see what anyone comes up with. I'm automounting data cd's and
dvd's just fine. CD's will play audio. I am completely updated and
running 11.10 xubuntu. It's gonna rain tomorrow, so I can stay up and
just re-install. If ASUS would get my MB back to me, this most likely
wouldn't be an issue. But, then I wouldn't LEARN anything either. Ric

Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

You always put the faster device ahead of the slower one.

What you need is a cradle for the HD and you will then be able to put it
with the DVD. The last time I ever put an HD in the narrower slots was
way back sometime in the very early '90s. With a cradle you can also
remove the HD for security reasons (when I go away all the HDs get
removed and safely stored).

The other alternative is to have one on channel #1 and the other on
channel #2 (which I think you already had them this way).

SATA and PATA use the same control channels and instruction set - only
difference is the actual connector meaning that you can buy a converter
(SATA>PATA or PATA>SATA). And you can have both SATA and PATA/IDE
devises in the same computer if this is what is worrying you about what
you now have.

BC

--
It is in the nature of things that every time you try to avoid one danger you run into another.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Johnny

[...]

Is he saying he has the 1 DVD on an IDE port and the 1 hard drive on a
SATA port? If so he need to just take the jumpers and remove them
shouldn't master and slave unless he has 2 things on I IDE cable. Think
he need to start thinking one of his parts is bad and stop thinking
software.

Good Luck sounds like you need it Johnny3 65+++

Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Johnny

[...]

You all are babies. You are close to 1/2 my age.
Good Luck Johnny3 65+++

Old 01-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

[...]

No, the primary device (HDD) goes on the end. Secondary in the middle.
On _all_ of my machines that have only 2 IDE devices, I've always put
each on their own IDE channel. HDD on primary, disc on secondary; both
at the end of the cable. That way, they don't have to fight for
bandwidth in the IDE channel.
For the machines that have more than 2 IDE devices, the least used
devices would be the secondary; ie: HDD is master on primary IDE, and on
secondary IDE the CD would be master & Zip drive would be slave.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.