-   -   nf_conntrack: falling back to vmalloc? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/621314-nf_conntrack-falling-back-vmalloc.html)

Knute Johnson 01-15-2012 08:29 PM

nf_conntrack: falling back to vmalloc?

From the kernel log

4 Time(s): nf_conntrack: falling back to vmalloc.

anybody know what this means?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

Ioannis Vranos 01-15-2012 11:32 PM

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> From the kernel log
>
> *4 Time(s): nf_conntrack: falling back to vmalloc
>
> anybody know what this means?

It's a C function. I think you can safely ignore that message.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

"David C. Curtis" 01-16-2012 02:59 AM

On 12-01-15 07:32 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

From the kernel log

4 Time(s): nf_conntrack: falling back to vmalloc

anybody know what this means?

It's a C function. I think you can safely ignore that message.

To play devils advocate here; vmalloc is a memory allocation call, if
nf_conntrack (netfilter connection tracker) is using up more memory than
usual maybe this machine is getting hammered by someone. Internet facing
machine? Seeing high traffic packet wise? port wise?

Complete WAG here as I have no idea how nf_conntrack works or in fact
what it really does.

Knute Johnson 01-16-2012 04:44 PM

nf_conntrack: falling back to vmalloc?

4 Time(s): nf_conntrack: falling back to vmalloc

anybody know what this means?

It's a C function. I think you can safely ignore that message.

To play devils advocate here; vmalloc is a memory allocation call, if
nf_conntrack (netfilter connection tracker) is using up more memory than
usual maybe this machine is getting hammered by someone. Internet facing
machine? Seeing high traffic packet wise? port wise?

Complete WAG here as I have no idea how nf_conntrack works or in fact
what it really does.

I pretty sure nf_conntrack is used to keep track of established
connections coming through the iptables firewall. What I don't know is
what is the result of it falling back to vmalloc. The error doesn't say
what it was using prior to falling back.

This shows up on my server machine that is connected to the wild. I
haven't been having any more than the usual attempts at hacking that a
server in the wild gets.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson