Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Ric Moore

Default fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN

...and I'm looking all over the web for what fixed it last time! JEEZ! I
installed 10.4 as my new motherboard couldn't find the EDID of the
nvidia GF9400 board <swears> and 10.4 still has the install text mode,
something I truly hope they put back in.

If anyone recalls, please clue me in.

I am in the cdrom group and added myself to DVD as well. Still no go. It
just won't recognize a movie DVD and yes, I have libdvdcss installed.
Plus all the codecs I could find. The only codecs I haven't installed
are the mplayer w32 ones. Worse comes to worse, I can start upgrading
...someone just shoot me. Since this is an upgrade of my old machine,
and my server died with the brand new MB going feet up and shipped back
to Asus, I don't have all several thousand hints and tips that are on
the other machine's harddrive. Ric

Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...and I'm looking all over the web for what fixed it last time! JEEZ! I
> installed 10.4 as my new motherboard couldn't find the EDID of the nvidia
> GF9400 board <swears> and 10.4 still has the install text mode, something I
> truly hope they put back in.

I suppose you are referring to the installation DVD. You can still get
the text installation mode, by using the "alternate" CD. Since you
have hardware recognition problems, I suggest Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit
alternate CD.

> If anyone recalls, please clue me in.
>
> I am in the cdrom group and added myself to DVD as well. Still no go. It
> just won't recognize a movie DVD and yes, I have libdvdcss installed.

I suggest installing it from medibuntu repository, along with
non-free-codecs metapackage.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com