Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Rovanion Luckey

Default xkb map difficulties

Hi,

Every time I do an installation of Linux I switch out the file /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/se to one which I have modified [1] to include characters commonly used in programming when Alt-Gr and some character key is pressed. Normally this works dandy fine and after saving the file I switch to QWERTY with setxkbmap se and then back to Dvorak, which is now modified in the file, with setxkbmap se -variant dvorak.

But upon installing the Alpha of Ubuntu 12.04 and doing the above mentioned, nothing changed.

To clearify: I can switch layouts very well including variants of language layouts. The issue is that even though the file on the filesystem has changed the rest of the system hasn't noticed. I've gone trough all the graphical interfaces and they disagree aswell with the file.

So I'm wondering if anything changed in regards to how keyboard layouts are handled in 12.04. Must the files be compiled in some way or has the location changed and this file that I'm chinging is just left there as a dead file?

[1] https://gist.github.com/1197113
--
www.twitter.com/Rovanion