Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 PM
"P. Echols"

Default Thumb drive installation, minimum size

I plan on installing 8.04 on a thumb drive.[0] This will be a full, not a "live" install. The purpose is to run a USB video converter, so it will probably need swap space somewhere.* The data files that ate created will go on a separate partition or USB drive that'll be mounted when needed.*

The question is how large a thumb drive I need for the project.* Also interested in other thoughts.

-- Patton

[0] The reason for using 8.04 is that the drivers for the hardware do not work with recent kernel updates.* Since this machine will not have any other function, I don't care that it cannot be updated.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Jon Mirow

Hi there, as you won't be using the SquashFS to save space, I'd say a 16GB drive would be them minimum practical install - you can definitely install to an 8GB stick but you'll have about 2 left - that wouldn't give you any sawp space.. which in my book isn't a proper install - unless the machines you will be running it on have swap? Also ignoring the swap issue that's just not that large for modern usage.

16GB flash drives are also pretty cheap nowadays - I was amazed I got a 32GB flash for twenty pounds (30 usd) 2 weeks ago!
Personally I can't see any real problem with it - I did it a while back on an old motherboard with screwed sata until I could afford a new one- it's slower obviously, but not moreso than using squash with persistence - that can get real slow once there's a lot in the persistence folder to read!

Regards
Jon

Old 01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Nils Kassube

P. Echols wrote:
> I plan on installing 8.04 on a thumb drive.[0] This will be a full,
> not a "live" install. The purpose is to run a USB video converter,
> so it will probably need swap space somewhere. The data files that
> ate created will go on a separate partition or USB drive that'll be
> mounted when needed.

Kubuntu 8.04 would fit easily on a 4GB USB stick, unless you plan to
install a lot of things more than the default packages. I don't think
that Ubuntu needs more space.

Nils

Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Nils Kassube

Patton Echols wrote:
> On 01/12/2012 01:42 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > P. Echols wrote:
> >> I plan on installing 8.04 on a thumb drive.[0] This will be a
> >> full, not a "live" install. The purpose is to run a USB video
> >> converter, so it will probably need swap space somewhere. The
> >> data files that ate created will go on a separate partition or
> >> USB drive that'll be mounted when needed.
> >
> > Kubuntu 8.04 would fit easily on a 4GB USB stick, unless you plan
> > to install a lot of things more than the default packages. I don't
> > think that Ubuntu needs more space.
>
> Interesting, I like your answer better than Jon's since i already
> have a spare 4gb stick laying around. I also have an xbuntu 8.04 CD
> laying around. That should be smaller still, right?

Yes, I suppose Xubuntu needs a bit less space. But IMHO the main
advantage of Xubuntu in your situation is the smaller memory footprint
which makes it less likely that the system needs to swap. Swapping to
flash memory (USB sticks are flash memory) is not what you want because
of the slow write speed of the standard devices.

Nils

Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 PM

> > > Kubuntu 8.04 would fit easily on a 4GB USB stick, unless you plan
> > > to install a lot of things more than the default packages. I don't
> > > think that Ubuntu needs more space.
> >
> > Interesting, I like your answer better than Jon's since i already
> > have a spare 4gb stick laying around. I also have an xbuntu 8.04 CD
> > laying around. That should be smaller still, right?
>
> Yes, I suppose Xubuntu needs a bit less space. But IMHO the main
> advantage of Xubuntu in your situation is the smaller memory footprint
> which makes it less likely that the system needs to swap. Swapping to
> flash memory (USB sticks are flash memory) is not what you want
> because
> of the slow write speed of the standard devices.

Hmmm, good point. Do you know of things that would be part of a standard install that I can safely delete? By "things" I mean memory users that are not needed for my purposes. Basically the only thing that this install will do is run the particular video converter. So I'll never need networking. But I don't want to break it right after I install it either.

Thanks -- PE

Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Nils Kassube

p.echols@comcast.net wrote:
> [...]

The applications which are only installed are not necessarily loaded
into memory, therefore it doesn't help your memory footprint to
uninstall things. Just don't start any application you don't need. And
it might help to use a single colour background instead of a beautiful
image. Other than that I have no idea.

Nils