-   -   approximative size for a binary mirror? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/620219-approximative-size-binary-mirror.html)

Mihamina Rakotomandimby 01-12-2012 01:22 PM

approximative size for a binary mirror?

Hi all,

I would like to locally mirror:

- oneiric main restricted universe multiverse
- oneiric-updates main restricted universe multiverse
- oneiric-security main restricted universe multiverse

According to your experience, how much space should I clear?
Only for binary. "deb-src" will pull from official mirrors per-need.

I have about 100GB free on a box, if more is needed I should consider
buying an external USB drive.

I want to locally mirror because of bandwidth concerns (numbers of
machines to keep up to date and limited internet bandwidth), using
apt-mirror (I'd choosed it over debmirror).

Thank you for your help.

--
RMA.

Colin Law 01-12-2012 04:15 PM

On 12 January 2012 14:22, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to locally mirror:
>
> - oneiric main restricted universe multiverse
> - oneiric-updates main restricted universe multiverse
> - oneiric-security main restricted universe multiverse
>
> According to your experience, how much space should I clear?
> Only for binary. "deb-src" will pull from official mirrors per-need.
>
> I have about 100GB free on a box, if more is needed I should consider buying
> an external USB drive.
>
> I want to locally mirror because of bandwidth concerns (numbers of machines
> to keep up to date and limited internet bandwidth), using apt-mirror (I'd
> choosed it over debmirror).

Not answering the question, but just in case you are not aware of it,
you may be interested in squid-deb-proxy
http://askubuntu.com/questions/3503/best-way-to-cache-apt-downloads-on-a-lan
It works great for me and you only need space for the stuff that is
actually used as it downloads it the first time it is asked for. Also
it works for multiple versions of ubuntu at the same time and is
trivial to setup.

Colin

Marius Gedminas 01-12-2012 04:51 PM

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 05:22:02PM +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to locally mirror:
>
> - oneiric main restricted universe multiverse
> - oneiric-updates main restricted universe multiverse
> - oneiric-security main restricted universe multiverse
>
> According to your experience, how much space should I clear?
> Only for binary. "deb-src" will pull from official mirrors per-need.

I don't know the answer, but https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mirrors has some
numbers.

> I have about 100GB free on a box, if more is needed I should
> consider buying an external USB drive.
>
> I want to locally mirror because of bandwidth concerns (numbers of
> machines to keep up to date and limited internet bandwidth), using
> apt-mirror (I'd choosed it over debmirror).

Squid would probably save you disk space _and_ bandwidth, since you'd
only mirror packages your machines use, instead of the entire archive.

There are packages that set up Squid-based apt proxies, but I've never
used any them. apt-cacher? apt-cacher-ng? approx? squid-deb-proxy?
The last one sounds most promising (there's squid-deb-proxy and
squid-deb-proxy-client, which gives me hope it might be enough to simply
apt-get install the relevant packages on the server and clientas;
apparently they all autoconfigure via Avahi.).

Marius Gedminas
--
Linux. Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Jon Mirow 01-12-2012 08:10 PM

approximative size for a binary mirror?

Hi there!
In addition to the others, This looks as though it could be a good reference - recommends around 15GB per repo for pirmary binaries?

All the best, and Kudos for hosting!
Jon