Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Colin Law

Default Help tweaking a theme

I am trying to tweak the Radiance theme in 11.10 using Unity but am
having a problem getting started.

I have copied the Ambiance theme from /usr/share/themes to ~/.themes
and renamed the folder AmbCDL

I have editted index.theme and changed the Name, Comment, GtkTheme and
MetacityTheme so it now contains
[Desktop Entry]
Type=X-GNOME-Metatheme
Name=AmbCDL
Comment=Ubuntu Ambiance theme modded by CDL
Encoding=UTF-8

[X-GNOME-Metatheme]
GtkTheme=AmbCDL
MetacityTheme=AmbCDL
IconTheme=ubuntu-mono-dark
CursorTheme=DMZ-White
ButtonLayout=close,minimize,maximize:

I have editted metacity-1/metacity-theme-1.xml and changed the name
and author so that the start now reads
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<metacity_theme>
<info>
<name>AmbCDL</name>
<author>Kenneth Wimer, James Schriver, Andrea Cimitan, Modded Colin
Law</author>

Everything else I have left unchanged.

I have installed gnome-tweak-tool and when I run it I see my new theme
(AmbCDL) and am able to select it in the GTK and Window theme
dropdowns. All works fine except that on maximised windows the close,
minimise and maximise buttons are squashed together and are missing
their surrounding circles, just showing as a black cross, bar and
rectangles. The buttons show correctly on non-maximised windows. It
appears that for some reason it is not using the correct button images
in the maximised case.

I thought it might be an issue with the theme being located in .themes
but I see the same effect if I move it to /usr/share/themes.

I have tried re-booting in case it was a caching issue of some sort.

Any ideas anyone?

Colin