Old 01-11-2012, 05:22 AM
Dave Henley

Default Gnome Shell in Ubuntu 11.10

I installed the gnome shell on top of my ubuntu 11.10 desktop, but I don`t get the Unity kind of interface.
My Unity interface actually does work perfectly, but I prefer the Gnome 3 Shell.
The only thing I see is the normal gnome interface with the regular taskbar.
I can`t even access the settings and such since that option fails to be visible from the taskbar.
Does anyone have a clue?

Cheers,
Dave

Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Colin Law

On 11 January 2012 06:22, Dave Henley <dhenley1@live.com> wrote:
> I installed the gnome shell on top of my ubuntu 11.10 desktop, but I don`t
> get the Unity kind of interface.
> My Unity interface actually does work perfectly, but I prefer the Gnome 3
> Shell.
> The only thing I see is the normal gnome interface with the regular taskbar.
> I can`t even access the settings and such since that option fails to be
> visible from the taskbar.
> Does anyone have a clue?

Are you selecting the shell from the logon screen? Click the cog next
to the password field.

Colin

Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Dave Henley

Forgot to mention that I select the Gnome from the logon screen.
The desktop is the same when I select the gnome shell or the classic gnome.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Dave Henley <dhenley1@live.com> wrote:
> Forgot to mention that I select the Gnome from the logon screen.
> The desktop is the same when I select the gnome shell or the classic gnome.

Have you installed any proprietary driver available for your graphics card?

Have a look at System Settings->Hardware->Additional drivers.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://tcho.net/cppdeveloper

Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Liam Proven

On 11 January 2012 06:22, Dave Henley <dhenley1@live.com> wrote:
> I installed the gnome shell on top of my ubuntu 11.10 desktop, but I don`t
> get the Unity kind of interface.
> My Unity interface actually does work perfectly, but I prefer the Gnome 3
> Shell.
> The only thing I see is the normal gnome interface with the regular taskbar.

That is GNOME 3 Fallback Mode. It runs that when it can't find an
OpenGL compatible 3D card to render the desktop.

What graphics controller (GPU) does your machine have?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Dave Henley

I recently switched from the onboard graphics vga port to a sapphire Radeon HD6450 card.
Hoping that this would solve my problem. Unity runs perfect, but gnome 3 only runs in fallback mode.
I`m still looking for appropriate drivers, to solve this issue.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Dave Henley <dhenley1@live.com> wrote:
> I recently switched from the onboard graphics vga port to a sapphire Radeon
> HD6450 card.
> Hoping that this would solve my problem. Unity runs perfect, but gnome 3
> only runs in fallback mode.
> I`m still looking for appropriate drivers, to solve this issue.

Did you disable the on board graphics card in BIOS?

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Dave Henley

Not yet, but I will give it a go

Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Dave Henley <dhenley1@live.com> wrote:
> Not yet, but I will give it a go
>
>> From: ioannis.vranos@gmail.com
>> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
>> Did you disable the on board graphics card in BIOS?

Then I guess this is the issue. And I think you do not see the normal
Unity, but Unity 2D. Ubuntu 11.10 falls back to Unity 2D, if it can't
load Unity, without a warning.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Liam Proven

On 12 January 2012 18:44, Dave Henley <dhenley1@live.com> wrote:
> I recently switched from the onboard graphics vga port to a sapphire Radeon
> HD6450 card.
> Hoping that this would solve my problem. Unity runs perfect, but gnome 3
> only runs in fallback mode.
> I`m still looking for appropriate drivers, to solve this issue.

Please bottom-quote on the list.

Have you installed the Radeon drivers from AMD? I believe you will
need those. Jockey should do it for you, or you can get them here:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&la ng=English

(That's for 32-bit Linux. There are different ones for 64-bit on the same site.)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884