Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 AM
Jay Ridgley

Default software that supports, nook downloads - is there any?

On 01/07/12 Ernest Doub <hideserted@gmail.com> wrote:

Message: 3 Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 12:40:04 -0800 From: Ernest Doub
<hideserted@gmail.com> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general
discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: software that supports
nook downloads - is there any? Message-ID:
<CABGXaR5PhXa28CcMpHM1gp6kQXN0paVY-bgxCsrt4hyij8Zy3A@mail.gmail.com>
Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com>wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I purchased a pair of Nook 1st Editions over the holidays. I like them!
>
> I then tried to down load a book from my library only to discover that
> nook does not directly download e-books but must use a package that is
> installed on a PC. YEP! you guessed it it ONLY WORKS with WINDOWS or Mac
> systems.
>
> Spoke with the folks at Barnes& Noble and they said to install Adobe
> Digital Editions software to fix the problem. When I tried that Adobe says
> my system is not supported... It also reports that my version of Firefox is
> old and suggests getting a free upgrade but that fails to install properly..
>
> Has anyone been able to download a book from their public library to their
> nook? If so, please enlighten me as to how I should proceed.
>
> Other ideas/alternatives appreciated.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 10.04-3 LTS and it is up to date.
>
> Thanks,
> Jay
> --
>

> Jay Ridgley
> jridgley2@austin.rr.com
> Registered Linux User ID - 9115
> https://linuxcounter.net/cert/**9115.png<https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png>
> Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

A quick Google search brings this up:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Study-for-Students/NOOKstudy-on-Linux/td-p/601899

-- "If there is anything that can divert the land of my birth from its current
stampede into the Stone Age, it is the widespread dissemination of the thoughts
and perceptions that Robert Heinlein has been selling as entertainment since
1939." --- Spider Robinson <http://linuxcounter.net/cert/544489.png>
-------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL:
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/attachments/20120107/e04f8753/attachment-0001.html>

That my be fine, for some folks. I do not use wine (my choice).

What I want is a NATIVE mode application that allows me to download eBooks to my
nook in the same manner as Adobe Digital Editions, however, apparently ADE is
not available or supported on Linux.

Other Ideas???

Old 01-08-2012, 03:19 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 6:06 AM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> That my be fine, for some folks. I do not use wine (my choice).
>
> What I want is a NATIVE mode application that allows me to download eBooks
> to my nook in the same manner as Adobe Digital Editions, however, apparently
> ADE is not available or supported on Linux.
>
> Other Ideas???

Perhaps this may help:

http://calibre-ebook.com

It is mentioned here:

http://linuxandfriends.com/2011/01/10/calibre-free-e-book-management-software/

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/epub (search for the word "management").

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://tcho.net/cppdeveloper

Old 01-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Pastor JW

On Saturday, January 07, 2012 8:19:04 pm Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 6:06 AM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > That my be fine, for some folks. I do not use wine (my choice).
> >
> > What I want is a NATIVE mode application that allows me to download
> > eBooks to my nook in the same manner as Adobe Digital Editions, however,
> > apparently ADE is not available or supported on Linux.
> >
> > Other Ideas???
>
> Perhaps this may help:
>
> http://calibre-ebook.com
>

> It is mentioned here:
>
> http://linuxandfriends.com/2011/01/10/calibre-free-e-book-management-softwa
> re/
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/epub (search for the word
> "management").

Yes, I'd recommend Calibre as well! "Quick Google searches" are not what is
needed if someone is asking for a recommendation. They want to hear your
opinion of the way something works for you. Calibre has worked for every
format that I have tossed at it so far!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 PM
sdavmor

[...]

+1 here for Calibre.