Old 01-07-2012, 04:33 PM
"compdoc"

Default Cloud spreadsheet?

Is there an application you can recommend that works like Google Apps? An oncology clinic is currently using Google apps to store some patient information, which might not meet HIPAA compliance.
*
They need to run it in-house, (locally) and they really only need a sharable spreadsheet, however, an online, sharable word processor would be nice too…
*

Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Rigved Rakshit

Is there an application you can recommend that works like Google Apps? An oncology clinic is currently using Google apps to store some patient information, which might not meet HIPAA compliance.

*
They need to run it in-house, (locally) and they really only need a sharable spreadsheet, however, an online, sharable word processor would be nice too…

Give Ubuntu One a try: https://one.ubuntu.com. The Ubuntu One client is already available by default on all current Ubuntu versions. Plus, there are official Ubuntu One client software for other platforms like Windows, Android and iOS.

The Ubuntu One cloud service allows one to store a cloud spreadsheet locally. This way, one can use the locally availalbe spreadsheet software to edit this spreadsheet, like LibreOffice or Microsoft Office. This spreadsheet can be accessed from any where using the browser. This spreadsheet can be shared between multiple Ubuntu One users. It is secure in the sense that only those Ubuntu One users who have have been given access to the spreadsheet can use it. It is also possible to give read-only access to other Ubuntu One users.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit

Old 01-07-2012, 06:55 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Sat, January 7, 2012 19:17, Rigved Rakshit wrote:

>> Is there an application you can recommend that works like Google Apps?
>> An oncology clinic is currently using Google apps to store some
>> patient information, which might not meet HIPAA compliance.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> They need to run it in-house, (locally) and they really only need a
>> sharable spreadsheet*, *however, an online, sharable word processor
>> would be nice too?
>>

> Give Ubuntu One a try: https://one.ubuntu.com. The Ubuntu One client is
> already available by default on all current Ubuntu versions. Plus, there
> are official Ubuntu One client software for other platforms like
> Windows, Android and iOS.
>
> The Ubuntu One cloud service allows one to store a cloud spreadsheet
> locally. This way, one can use the locally availalbe spreadsheet software
> to edit this spreadsheet, like LibreOffice or Microsoft Office. This
> spreadsheet can be accessed from any where using the browser. This
> spreadsheet can be shared between multiple Ubuntu One users. It is secure
> in the sense that only those Ubuntu One users who have have been given
> access to the spreadsheet can use it. It is also possible to give
> read-only access to other Ubuntu One users.

A quick google search on "ubuntu one hipaa" does not point to any evidence
that Ubuntu One is HIPAA compliant. So, unless someone can point to an
official Ubuntu document, I conclude that Ubuntu One is not HIPAA
compliant. It's secure, that's true, but not officially HIPAA compliant,
and that's all that the pencil pushers need to know to allow or deny it.

--
Amedee

Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Avi Greenbury

Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

> A quick google search on "ubuntu one hipaa" does not point to any
> evidence that Ubuntu One is HIPAA compliant. So, unless someone can
> point to an official Ubuntu document, I conclude that Ubuntu One is
> not HIPAA compliant. It's secure, that's true, but not officially
> HIPAA compliant, and that's all that the pencil pushers need to know
> to allow or deny it.

I know I've seen ads for consultants who do HIPAA compliancy on Google
Docs, but presumably it's quite expensive.

If Ubuntu One is the sort of thing your after were it in-house (though
it really doesn't sound like it is), sparkleshare might be worth a
look. It's sort-of a self-hosted $dropbox-clone.

I've not come across anything that does in-house google spreadsheet -
it's a pretty hard thing to make. I'd imagine if anyone did, LO/OOo
would get there first in FOSS.

--
Avi

Old 01-08-2012, 01:15 AM
NoOp

On 01/07/2012 09:33 AM, compdoc wrote:
> Is there an application you can recommend that works like Google Apps? An
> oncology clinic is currently using Google apps to store some patient
> information, which might not meet HIPAA compliance.
>

> They need to run it in-house, (locally) and they really only need a sharable
> spreadsheet, however, an online, sharable word processor would be nice too.

Might be worth a look:
<http://www.cloudlock.com/applications/cloudlock-for-google-apps/>
<http://www.cloudlock.com/solutions/compliance-and-regulation/>
<http://www.cloudlock.com/pricing/>

<http://zsentry.com/zsentry-google-setup.htm>
<http://zsentry.com/privacy_security_compliance_zsentry.htm>

Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 AM
DEF

On 07/01/2012, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> Is there an application you can recommend that works like Google Apps? An
> oncology clinic is currently using Google apps to store some patient
> information, which might not meet HIPAA compliance.

Why do they specifically need a spreadsheet to store patient information??

> They need to run it in-house, (locally) and they really only need a sharable
> spreadsheet, however, an online, sharable word processor would be nice too.

Why not openemr? [Free software, HIPAA compliant, standalone, server,
online modes etc]. It is already packaged for debian/ubuntu. And if
you specifically need to show your data in spreadsheets, then there
are nice report generating interfaces

DEF

Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM
"compdoc"

Might be worth a look:
<http://www.cloudlock.com/applications/cloudlock-for-google-apps/>
<http://www.cloudlock.com/solutions/compliance-and-regulation/>
<http://www.cloudlock.com/pricing/>

<http://zsentry.com/zsentry-google-setup.htm>
<http://zsentry.com/privacy_security_compliance_zsentry.htm>

Those seem an excellent alternative. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:19 PM
"compdoc"

> sparkleshare might be worth a look. It's sort-of a self-hosted
$dropbox-clone.

That's worth looking into, since they all have MS Office on their desktops.
Thanks.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 PM
"compdoc"

> Why do they specifically need a spreadsheet to store patient information??

Google spreadsheets was just something the nurses started using that was
easy for them set up. I was hoping to find something along the same lines
for them to switch to, but there are other ways to do this. I've built a
demo server for them that's running phpbb that might do as well, which is a
forum style package. Keeping the data secure is the primary concern, and so
storing it outside the clinic (in the cloud) seems a risk.

>Why not openemr? [Free software, HIPAA compliant, standalone, server,
online modes etc.

I'll check that out, thanks.