Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Colin Law

Default squid-deb-proxy and VirtualBox: Failed to create host name resolver

On 4 January 2012 14:09, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to use squid-deb-proxy with the client running in a Ubuntu
> 12.04 virtualbox VM on an 11.10 host, with the server on a separate
> machine. *Running native 12.04 as a client on a third machine works ok
> but when I do an update or upgrade from the VM I get
>
> Failed to create host name resolver: Invalid host name

To answer my own question it appears that the automatic proxy
detection does not work in the scenario above. To fix it, in the
VirtualBox VM I removed the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/30autoproxy and
replaced it with /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/30manualproxy containing:

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://192.168.1.100:8000";

where 192.168.1.100 is the ip of the proxy server.
I am not certain that this is the "correct" way to do it but it seems
to do the job.

Colin