Old 01-05-2012, 05:44 AM
"G. "

Default touch pad dies

On Unbuntu 11.10, the touch pad stops working sometimes. This happens
with the laptop closed about 50% of the time. I had it happen once or
twice with Firefox or another application running. This is probably
not related, but when I am typing the cursor moves to different places
on the screen. Say I am typing in the subject field in an email, It
will sometimes fly into the To field or into the body of the email.
It will sometimes highlight whole areas of text and as I am continuing
to type those areas are deleted. This does not happen if I turn off
the touch pad. I have slowed down the touch pad to try to prevent
this from happening to no avail.

I am using a Samsung Netbook N110.

I do not know what other info you might need. Please advise.

Thanks

garyk

Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 AM
doug

On Unbuntu 11.10, the touch pad stops working sometimes. This happens
with the laptop closed about 50% of the time. I had it happen once or
twice with Firefox or another application running. This is probably
not related, but when I am typing the cursor moves to different places
on the screen. Say I am typing in the subject field in an email, It
will sometimes fly into the To field or into the body of the email.
It will sometimes highlight whole areas of text and as I am continuing
to type those areas are deleted. This does not happen if I turn off
the touch pad. I have slowed down the touch pad to try to prevent
this from happening to no avail.

I am using a Samsung Netbook N110.

I do not know what other info you might need. Please advise.

Thanks

garyk

Don't know about the touchpad working with the laptop closed--
how would you know? However:
For the problems with the cursor moving around while you type,
you are surely touching the touchpad accidentally. You may find
in the setup an arrangement where the touchpad is disabled
while you type. I find that's insufficient, and I use an external
pointing device anyway--a trackball. I use a program called
synaptiks or maybe synaptics--note the s on the end. It disables
the touchpad altogether when there's an external pointing device
plugged in.

--doug

Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Liam Proven

On 5 January 2012 06:44, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Unbuntu 11.10, the touch pad stops working sometimes. *This happens
> with the laptop closed about 50% of the time. *I had it happen once or
> twice with Firefox or another application running. *This is probably
> not related, but when I am typing the cursor moves to different places
> on the screen. *Say I am typing in the subject field in an email, *It
> will sometimes fly into the To field or into the body of the email.
> It will sometimes highlight whole areas of text and as I am continuing
> to type those areas are deleted. *This does not happen if I turn off
> the touch pad. *I have slowed down the touch pad to try to prevent
> this from happening to no avail.
>
> I am using a Samsung Netbook N110.
>
> I do not know what other info you might need. *Please advise.

I have the same problem. New with 11.10, AFAICT. It is /very/ annoying.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
"G. "

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:08 AM, doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 01:44 AM, G. wrote:
>>
>> On Unbuntu 11.10, the touch pad stops working sometimes. *This happens
>> with the laptop closed about 50% of the time. *I had it happen once or
>> twice with Firefox or another application running. *This is probably
>> not related, but when I am typing the cursor moves to different places
>> on the screen. *Say I am typing in the subject field in an email, *It
>> will sometimes fly into the To field or into the body of the email.
>> It will sometimes highlight whole areas of text and as I am continuing
>> to type those areas are deleted. *This does not happen if I turn off
>> the touch pad. *I have slowed down the touch pad to try to prevent
>> this from happening to no avail.
>>
>> I am using a Samsung Netbook N110.
>>
>> I do not know what other info you might need. *Please advise.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> garyk
>>
> Don't know about the touchpad working with the laptop closed--
> how would you know? *However:
> For the problems with the cursor moving around while you type,
> you are surely touching the touchpad accidentally. *You may find
> in the setup an arrangement where the touchpad is disabled
> while you type. *I find that's insufficient, and I use an external
> pointing device anyway--a trackball. *I use a program called
> synaptiks or maybe synaptics--note the s on the end. *It disables
> the touchpad altogether when there's an external pointing device
> plugged in.
>
> --doug

To clarify, if I close the display and then open it, sometimes the
mousepad no longer works. Sometimes if I log out and og back in the
mousepad returns to normal. I found a possible alternative: from
terminal or Alt+F2 enter synclient TouchPadOff=0 I have not tried it
yet.

In Dconf editor as well as in the mouse settings you can disable the
mousepad. I do that and still have problems with the pointer changing
fields. I will check on synaptics. I use a wireless mouse but
sometimes need the touch pad.

Thanks

gary k

Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Colin Law

On 5 January 2012 15:01, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> To clarify, if I close the display and then open it, sometimes the
> mousepad no longer works.

OK, so you mean that after suspending and resuming (assuming you have
the laptop set to suspend on closing the lid, rather than hibernating)
then sometimes the touchpad does not work correctly. See if one of
these bugs matches your situation:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=touchpad+suspend&search=Sea rch+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target =

Colin

Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
"G. "

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 5 January 2012 15:01, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To clarify, if I close the display and then open it, sometimes the
>> mousepad no longer works.
>
> OK, so you mean that after suspending and resuming (assuming you have
> the laptop set to suspend on closing the lid, rather than hibernating)
> then sometimes the touchpad does not work correctly. *See if one of
> these bugs matches your situation:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=touchpad+suspend&search=Sea rch+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target =
>
> Colin

I hate it set so the computer stays on with the lid closed. Therefore
those bugs are not relevant.

Just now the touchpad stopped working and the lid was open. I was
just starting firefox.

synclient TouchPadOff=0 worked to get the touchpad going again.

thanks for the reply

gary