Old 01-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Art Edwards

Default Lightweight netbook distros

On 01/04/2012 06:50 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> Are any of the netbook remixes still being updated?
>
> I've put the 12.04 alpha on my Acer Aspire One (512MB, 8GB SSD).
>
> After updating, it's 100% functional - but dog-slow. Unity works fine
> and fits the small (1024*600) screen nicely. But it takes 1-2min to
> boot, LibreOffice Writer takes 1-2 to start, the Soiftware Centre
> takes 2-3min and so on.
>
> All the remixes I knew of 2-3y ago seem to be dead and haven't updated
> since 10.04 if you're lucky: EasyPeasy (ex Ubuntu-EEE), Aurora (ex
> Eeebuntu), gOS (dead), Leeenux, etc.
>
> Is there anything current, as full Ubuntu is now too much for such an
> old, low-spec machine.
>
> It's a shame as Unity is the ideal desktop for it. I don't really want
> a "full" desktop environment such as GNOME or KDE, just a lightweight
> app-launcher.

I just put natty on an acer 1 for my son. It runs really well. Under
maverick, not so well. maverick didn't recognize wifi, but natty did. Im
not running unity so I don't know about that but gnome 2 works beautifully.

Art Edwards

Old 01-05-2012, 05:18 AM
"G. "

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Art Edwards
<edwardsa@icantbelieveimdoingthis.com> wrote:
> On 01/04/2012 06:50 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> Are any of the netbook remixes still being updated?
>>
>> I've put the 12.04 alpha on my Acer Aspire One (512MB, 8GB SSD).
>>
>> After updating, it's 100% functional - but dog-slow. Unity works fine
>> and fits the small (1024*600) screen nicely. But it takes 1-2min to
>> boot, LibreOffice Writer takes 1-2 to start, the Soiftware Centre
>> takes 2-3min and so on.
>>
>> All the remixes I knew of 2-3y ago seem to be dead and haven't updated
>> since 10.04 if you're lucky: EasyPeasy (ex Ubuntu-EEE), Aurora (ex
>> Eeebuntu), gOS (dead), Leeenux, etc.
>>
>> Is there anything current, as full Ubuntu is now too much for such an
>> old, low-spec machine.
>>
>> It's a shame as Unity is the ideal desktop for it. I don't really want
>> a "full" desktop environment such as GNOME or KDE, just a lightweight
>> app-launcher.
>>
> I just put natty on an acer 1 for my son. It runs really well. *Under
> maverick, not so well. maverick didn't recognize wifi, but natty did. Im
> not ruve nning unity so I don't know about that but gnome 2 works beautifully.
>
> Art Edwards

Give Lubuntu a try. I installed it on Virtualbox under 11.10 host and
it works fine and is much more basic. but does all the necessaries.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Yorvyk

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 07:18:30 +0100
"G. " <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Art Edwards
> <edwardsa@icantbelieveimdoingthis.com> wrote:
> > On 01/04/2012 06:50 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> >> Are any of the netbook remixes still being updated?
> >>
> >> I've put the 12.04 alpha on my Acer Aspire One (512MB, 8GB SSD).
> >>
> >> After updating, it's 100% functional - but dog-slow. Unity works fine
> >> and fits the small (1024*600) screen nicely. But it takes 1-2min to
> >> boot, LibreOffice Writer takes 1-2 to start, the Soiftware Centre
> >> takes 2-3min and so on.
> >>
> >> All the remixes I knew of 2-3y ago seem to be dead and haven't updated
> >> since 10.04 if you're lucky: EasyPeasy (ex Ubuntu-EEE), Aurora (ex
> >> Eeebuntu), gOS (dead), Leeenux, etc.
> >>
> >> Is there anything current, as full Ubuntu is now too much for such an
> >> old, low-spec machine.
> >>
> >> It's a shame as Unity is the ideal desktop for it. I don't really want
> >> a "full" desktop environment such as GNOME or KDE, just a lightweight
> >> app-launcher.
> >>
> > I just put natty on an acer 1 for my son. It runs really well. *Under
> > maverick, not so well. maverick didn't recognize wifi, but natty did. Im
> > not ruve nning unity so I don't know about that but gnome 2 works beautifully.
> >
> > Art Edwards
>
> Give Lubuntu a try. I installed it on Virtualbox under 11.10 host and
> it works fine and is much more basic. but does all the necessaries.

Lubuntu also has a netbook interface as well, selectable at login.

--
Yorvyk

Old 01-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Reinier Millo Sánchez

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Art Edwards
> <edwardsa@icantbelieveimdoingthis.com> wrote:
> > On 01/04/2012 06:50 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> >> Are any of the netbook remixes still being updated?
> >>
> >> I've put the 12.04 alpha on my Acer Aspire One (512MB, 8GB SSD).
> >>
> >> After updating, it's 100% functional - but dog-slow. Unity works fine
> >> and fits the small (1024*600) screen nicely. But it takes 1-2min to
> >> boot, LibreOffice Writer takes 1-2 to start, the Soiftware Centre
> >> takes 2-3min and so on.
> >>
> >> All the remixes I knew of 2-3y ago seem to be dead and haven't updated
> >> since 10.04 if you're lucky: EasyPeasy (ex Ubuntu-EEE), Aurora (ex
> >> Eeebuntu), gOS (dead), Leeenux, etc.
> >>
> >> Is there anything current, as full Ubuntu is now too much for such an
> >> old, low-spec machine.
> >>
> >> It's a shame as Unity is the ideal desktop for it. I don't really want
> >> a "full" desktop environment such as GNOME or KDE, just a lightweight
> >> app-launcher.
> >>
> > I just put natty on an acer 1 for my son. It runs really well. ?Under
> > maverick, not so well. maverick didn't recognize wifi, but natty did. Im
> > not ruve nning unity so I don't know about that but gnome 2 works beautifully.
> >
> > Art Edwards
>
> Give Lubuntu a try. I installed it on Virtualbox under 11.10 host and
> it works fine and is much more basic. but does all the necessaries.

Lubuntu it's fine. Now I'm using Linux Mint on my Pentium D with 512 Mb Ram, but I have used Fluxbox. Fluxbox is very ligthweight, but need some time to configure it.
Regards

*******
Reinier Millo Sánchez
Ciencias de la Computación
Universidad Central "Marta Abreu" de Las Villas
*******

- XIII Simposio Internacional sobre Pensamiento Latinoamericano, del 26 al 27 de junio de 2012. Universidad Central “Marta Abreu” de Las Villas, Santa Clara, Cuba. http://www.uclv.edu.cu/13simp-pensamiento-latinoamericano
-Universidad Central "Marta Abreu" de Las Villas. http://www.uclv.edu.cu
-Participe en Universidad 2012, del 13 al 17 de febrero de 2012. Habana.Cuba. http://www.congresouniversidad.cu
-Consulte la enciclopedia colaborativa cubana. http://www.ecured.cu/

Old 01-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Liam Proven

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, folks!

I've had a look at Lubuntu 11.10's netbook interface under VMware. (I
am actually running it on a few older, low-spec machines already.)

It's definitely an option.

I also tried Meego 1.2 and ChromiumOS under VMware. (I used the free
version of ChromeOS from Hexxeh: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/ )

Neither installed correctly or would start up. :¬(

Lubuntu is quite snappy but I couldn't find a download for the alpha
of 12.04 - I don't know if it even exists yet.

I have discovered that from a local shop that sells 2nd hand PC kit, I
should be able to stick another 512MB of RAM in my netbook for £5. I
think I'll try that first and see if Precise Pangolin is usable in 1GB
and if so, I'll stay with that. If not, Lubuntu it is.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Billie Walsh

On 01/07/2012 10:27 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, folks!

I've had a look at Lubuntu 11.10's netbook interface under VMware. (I
am actually running it on a few older, low-spec machines already.)

It's definitely an option.

I also tried Meego 1.2 and ChromiumOS under VMware. (I used the free
version of ChromeOS from Hexxeh: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/ )

Neither installed correctly or would start up. :¬(

Lubuntu is quite snappy but I couldn't find a download for the alpha
of 12.04 - I don't know if it even exists yet.

I have discovered that from a local shop that sells 2nd hand PC kit, I
should be able to stick another 512MB of RAM in my netbook for £5. I
think I'll try that first and see if Precise Pangolin is usable in 1GB
and if so, I'll stay with that. If not, Lubuntu it is.

I have an Asus EeePC. Atom processor. I upgraded the ram to 2Gigs and
put in a 64 gig SSD. I originally had Ebuntu installed and liked it very
much. I waited and waited for Aurora to be released but finally had to
give up. I installed full Kubuntu and have been happy with it. It still
boots quick and applications load and run just fine. How much of that is
due to the SSD instead of a mechanical hard drive is hard to say. It
seems like it is faster than my machines with regular hard drives.

Having said all that I don't use it for any heavy lifting. For me it's
use is mostly if I go to a library for genealogy research, reading
e-books and other light duty use. I have a full size laptop and desktops
to do the heavy lifting.

If you have the drive space and memory why not just go with a full OS.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick Henry -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Liam Proven

On 7 January 2012 17:36, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> On 01/07/2012 10:27 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, folks!
>>
>> I've had a look at Lubuntu 11.10's netbook interface under VMware. (I
>> am actually running it on a few older, low-spec machines already.)
>>
>> It's definitely an option.
>>
>> I also tried Meego 1.2 and ChromiumOS under VMware. (I used the free
>> version of ChromeOS from Hexxeh: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/ )
>>
>> Neither installed correctly or would start up. :¬(
>>
>> Lubuntu is quite snappy but I couldn't find a download for the alpha
>> of 12.04 - I don't know if it even exists yet.
>>
>> I have discovered that from a local shop that sells 2nd hand PC kit, I
>> should be able to stick another 512MB of RAM in my netbook for £5. I
>> think I'll try that first and see if Precise Pangolin is usable in 1GB
>> and if so, I'll stay with that. If not, Lubuntu it is.
>>

> I have an Asus EeePC. Atom processor. I upgraded the ram to 2Gigs and put in
> a 64 gig SSD. I originally had Ebuntu installed and liked it very much. I
> waited and waited for Aurora to be released but finally had to give up. I
> installed full Kubuntu and have been happy with it. It still boots quick and
> applications load and run just fine. How much of that is due to the SSD
> instead of a mechanical hard drive is hard to say. It seems like it is
> faster than my machines with regular hard drives.
>
> Having said all that I don't use it for any heavy lifting. For me it's use
> is mostly if I go to a library for genealogy research, reading e-books and
> other light duty use. I have a full size laptop and desktops to do the heavy
> lifting.
>
> If you have the drive space and memory why not just go with a full OS.

Well, I don't, that's the thing. It has an 8GB SSD and 512MB of RAM.

However, I found a 512MB SO-DIMM for £5 in a local shop. (US$7.70).
Fitting was a half an hour of very fiddly work - the motherboard must
be completely removed - but a price like that was too good to ignore.

Now it runs the alpha of Precise (12.04) quite well. It's not quick,
but it's usable. And there is over 3GB of free disk space. That's
about as good as it's going to get, I think.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Nils Kassube

Liam Proven wrote:
> Lubuntu is quite snappy but I couldn't find a download for the alpha
> of 12.04 - I don't know if it even exists yet.

Here it is:
<http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/precise/alpha-1/>

Nils