Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Liam Proven

Default Lightweight netbook distros

Are any of the netbook remixes still being updated?

I've put the 12.04 alpha on my Acer Aspire One (512MB, 8GB SSD).

After updating, it's 100% functional - but dog-slow. Unity works fine
and fits the small (1024*600) screen nicely. But it takes 1-2min to
boot, LibreOffice Writer takes 1-2 to start, the Soiftware Centre
takes 2-3min and so on.

All the remixes I knew of 2-3y ago seem to be dead and haven't updated
since 10.04 if you're lucky: EasyPeasy (ex Ubuntu-EEE), Aurora (ex
Eeebuntu), gOS (dead), Leeenux, etc.

Is there anything current, as full Ubuntu is now too much for such an
old, low-spec machine.

It's a shame as Unity is the ideal desktop for it. I don't really want
a "full" desktop environment such as GNOME or KDE, just a lightweight
app-launcher.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884