Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 PM
R Kimber

Default Music player recommendation needed

I'm looking for a music player that will read the (mostly flac) files on my
disk and will allow me to navigate through my collection by directory name.
All the players I've looked at seem to be geared to pop music (mine is
classical) and seem to present the database according to meta information
about artists, albums, etc., that the program detects. My music is arranged
in directories by composer name, and that's what makes sense to me, but
most players seem to make a nonesense of the directory structure and quite
often they put the tracks in a different order from the one in which I want
the files played (indicated by a number in the filename - e.g.
01-movement-I.flac
02-movement-II.flac
and so on.)

Is there a player that will display files in normal directory order and
will play all the files in a given directory in the normal sort order?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 AM
David Fletcher

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 00:00 +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> I'm looking for a music player that will read the (mostly flac) files on my
> disk and will allow me to navigate through my collection by directory name.
> All the players I've looked at seem to be geared to pop music (mine is
> classical) and seem to present the database according to meta information
> about artists, albums, etc., that the program detects. My music is arranged
> in directories by composer name, and that's what makes sense to me, but
> most players seem to make a nonesense of the directory structure and quite
> often they put the tracks in a different order from the one in which I want
> the files played (indicated by a number in the filename - e.g.
> 01-movement-I.flac
> 02-movement-II.flac
> and so on.)
>
> Is there a player that will display files in normal directory order and
> will play all the files in a given directory in the normal sort order?
>
> - Richard.

That's exactly how I like my music to play, so when I rip my audio I put
the track number at the start of the file names so that they sort into
the same order, and use Decibel to play them.

Dave

Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Robert Spanjaard

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 00:00:23 +0000, R Kimber wrote:

> I'm looking for a music player that will read the (mostly flac) files on
> my disk and will allow me to navigate through my collection by directory
> name. All the players I've looked at seem to be geared to pop music
> (mine is classical) and seem to present the database according to meta
> information about artists, albums, etc., that the program detects. My
> music is arranged in directories by composer name, and that's what makes
> sense to me, but most players seem to make a nonesense of the directory
> structure and quite often they put the tracks in a different order from
> the one in which I want the files played (indicated by a number in the
> filename - e.g. 01-movement-I.flac
> 02-movement-II.flac
> and so on.)
>
> Is there a player that will display files in normal directory order and
> will play all the files in a given directory in the normal sort order?

Quod Libet will let YOU decide how to display the files.

Directory and/or file name is available. In my screenshot (link below) I
added it as the last column, but you can make it the only column if
that's what you want. Number, types and order of columns are completely
customizable.

http://www.arumes.com/temp/ql-screenshot.png

You can create columns based on any tag, including QL's 'internal' tags.
http://code.google.com/p/quodlibet/wiki/AudioTags

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Robert Spanjaard

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:45:31 +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 00:00:23 +0000, R Kimber wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a music player that will read the (mostly flac) files
>> on my disk and will allow me to navigate through my collection by
>> directory name. All the players I've looked at seem to be geared to pop
>> music (mine is classical) and seem to present the database according to
>> meta information about artists, albums, etc., that the program detects.
>> My music is arranged in directories by composer name, and that's what
>> makes sense to me, but most players seem to make a nonesense of the
>> directory structure and quite often they put the tracks in a different
>> order from the one in which I want the files played (indicated by a
>> number in the filename - e.g. 01-movement-I.flac
>> 02-movement-II.flac
>> and so on.)
>>
>> Is there a player that will display files in normal directory order and
>> will play all the files in a given directory in the normal sort order?
>
> Quod Libet will let YOU decide how to display the files.
>
> Directory and/or file name is available. In my screenshot (link below) I
> added it as the last column, but you can make it the only column if
> that's what you want. Number, types and order of columns are completely
> customizable.
>
> http://www.arumes.com/temp/ql-screenshot.png
>
> You can create columns based on any tag, including QL's 'internal' tags.
> http://code.google.com/p/quodlibet/wiki/AudioTags

BTW, it's available in the repositories.
Searching for "quod" will do the trick. :-)

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
R Kimber

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 07:53:11 +0000
David Fletcher wrote:

> That's exactly how I like my music to play, so when I rip my audio I put
> the track number at the start of the file names so that they sort into
> the same order, and use Decibel to play them.

Many thanks. Decibel seems to be what I was looking for.

- Richard.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
R Kimber

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 08:45:31 +0000 (UTC)
Robert Spanjaard wrote:

> Quod Libet will let YOU decide how to display the files.
>
> Directory and/or file name is available. In my screenshot (link below) I
> added it as the last column, but you can make it the only column if
> that's what you want. Number, types and order of columns are completely
> customizable.

Thanks. I looked at it, but I found that for some reason (as with some
other players I looked at) it didn't display all the files in my test
folder. Decibel, on the other hand did so, and played them in the expected
order. So I guess I'll go with that.

- Richard.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/1/5 R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com>:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 08:45:31 +0000 (UTC)
> Robert Spanjaard wrote:
>
>> Quod Libet will let YOU decide how to display the files.
>>
>> Directory and/or file name is available. In my screenshot (link below) I
>> added it as the last column, but you can make it the only column if
>> that's what you want. Number, types and order of columns are completely
>> customizable.
>
> Thanks. *I looked at it, but I found that for some reason (as with some
> other players I looked at) it didn't display all the files in my test
> folder. Decibel, on the other hand did so, and played them in the expected
> order. *So I guess I'll go with that.
>
> - Richard.
> --
> Richard Kimber
> Political Science Resources
> http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

One thing you could do with almost any music player, including Totem,
is to create playlists. They are played back exactly like you created
them, so you can get exactly the order you want.

Well, you seem to have found your way now anyway.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ